Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,976
Like?
Re: Lag, it exists but often overstated now....
In reply to TrojMacReady, Jul 4, 2013

TrojMacReady wrote:

Midwest wrote:

The people who seem to have most of the problems with OVF's are people who don't have them, and maybe never did.

You'll find that the majority of posters in the Sony forum shooting with SLT's, have come from OVF's.

And I find it interesting that I have seen numerous posts there from people who are unhappy with their viewfinders.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,149Gear list
Like?
Yes, 70D nominated as Camera of the Year.
In reply to 007peter, Jul 4, 2013

And why not ?  no one else has the features of this 70D at the price point.

However, before you blow a gasket, lets wait until Jan 1/14...and then also check the sales figures by spring of '14.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
Febs
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Real life practice

007peter wrote:

The forum argument are mostly in theory. While EVF will get better in the future, it isn't there today. Making an EVF Canon 70D would be a mistake Today. Perhaps, an EVF option for 90D will become viable.

In real life practice, I see many post like this:

Dumping brand new EVF Sony A58 for a Nikon OVF DSLR

Just to keep things in balance: My EVF (A99) is better than my OVF (A900) which is one of the biggest and brightest ever made. And I really mean it.

Febs's gear list:Febs's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +5 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,503Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Adrian Van, Jul 4, 2013

Adrian Van wrote:

Why are they developing more Full Frame cameras when the trend is to make smaller cameras. Truly Pro APSC bodies with speed and new sensor tech, should be a good idea, and could encourage more pros to buy into those systems, provided image quality and video quality are great enough for the needs.

There is significant demand for a really compact, high quality FF landscape/nature camera. Canon should use the 'shrinking' technology of the EOS SL1/100D with FF sensor and up-to-date AF ... A FF DSLR doesn't have to be bigger than the OM-2 from 35 years ago (despite small size, that camera has an even better OVF than most of the current Canon FF DSLRs). OM-2 is smaller than the 'pro' APS-C cameras from Canon.

Unfortunately Canon concentrates their FF efforts on relatively fast, bulky and sturdy cameras with dated sensor technology. The 6D is roughly APS-C DSLR size, but it is light on specs and a halfbaked effort IMHO.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,503Gear list
Like?
Re: I see more people MIRRORLESS EVF for Nikon/Canon DSLR

007peter wrote:

The forum argument are mostly in theory. While EVF will get better in the future, it isn't there today. Making an EVF Canon 70D would be a mistake Today. Perhaps, an EVF option for 90D will become viable.

I guess there will be a camera with most of the 70D technology and EVF instead of OVF soon (within a year or so). It will be called EOS-M Pro or so

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to technic, Jul 4, 2013

technic wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

The point is that almost all birds are very easy to track, much easier than fast RC planes and helicopters.

Small birds are much harder.

my experience is that birds have far less predictable trajectory than RC planes and helicopters; especially the smaller birds indeed.

I take shots of flying dragonflies and they are even less predictable than small birds. With an EVF you can probably take a lucky shot when the dragonfly is hovering or using a straight flight path for a difference, but that's about it.

Like these?

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Jul 4, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Like these?

No.  Tightly-framed.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lee Jay, Jul 4, 2013

Show us your tightly framed swallow photos.

Those planes could be several feet across.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Jul 4, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Show us your tightly framed swallow photos.

I nearly never shoot birds.

Those planes could be several feet across.

They are several feet across - and going in excess of 150mph.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, 70D nominated as Camera of the Year.
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 4, 2013

And why not ?  no one else has the features of this 70D at the price point.

However, before you blow a gasket, lets wait until Jan 1/14...and then also check the sales figures by spring of '14.

what features?

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads