Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Mikhail Tal
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Excellent live view AF + OVF with excellent AF = win
In reply to tkbslc, 9 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Most people don't want an EVF after they've experienced zero lag OVFs.

Most people don't want a mirror after they've experienced mirrorless.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPrince
Contributing MemberPosts: 956
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Mikhail Tal, 9 months ago

Mikhail Tal wrote:

It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality.

Well documented by whom?  Names and links, please.

John1940
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down. Great, so why keep the mirror and OVF at all? This fall's newest generation of EVFs are surely going to drive the lastnail in the OVF coffin and turn it into a complete anacrhonism, making the 70D technologically obsolete just a few months in.

You seem to have an amazing capability to predict the future. You must be rich by now. Why waste your time in this forum?

It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality.

My EOS lenses from the film days still work well. If Canon goes with EVF they will still work. They cost me more than my digital bodies. What's the big deal? Technology will evolve without you or me. You are just an observer. Or, do you work in technology R&D? It does not sound like it to me.

So the 70D may be a nice camera, too bad canon stuck it with an OVF and mirror that the more competitive cameras will soon be able to do without (by soon I mean this fall, like Olympus, Sony, etc.)

Wow! Canon had better press the panic button! Do you think Canon is run by the Three Stooges and, yet, got to where they are?

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?

Mikhail Tal wrote:

It doesn't matter if there is a lag if it is small enough so as to be not perceptible to the human eye

Which camera's EVF has imperceptible lag?

sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

Electronic viewfinders are like looking at the world through a 1989 Atari game.

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
What's the resolution of an OVF? (n/t)
No text.
 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,241Gear list
Like?
As one who's taken to EVFs big time. . .

. . . this posture is just stupid, a provocation no different than walking through a crowd and poking individuals with a stick for the fun of it.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091
Like?

Let us know when either Canon or Nikon announces an EVF-only flagship camera.

..or when at a major sporting event, the number of mirrorless cameras in the press box exceeds DSLRs.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,471Gear list
Like?
Re: LOL OVF people

Mikhail Tal wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Me: Future EVFs will be superior to OVFs

OVF people: Wrong, because present EVFs are not superior to OVFs in my opinion.

Me: Flawless logic...

Your logic is flawed because you are talking about the "Camera of the Year", which is the present, not the future.

Also the presumption that future EVFs will be better is based on faith, whereas OVF superiority is currently observed.

The year goes through December 31st if I'm not mistaken. Is that the present? The camera of the year doesn't exist yet (certainly won't be any camera from the first half).

The kind of leap in technology required to fulfill the prophecy would require leaps of technology that are extremely unlikely.   Continue in faith and prayer, and I will be just as excited as the next person if comes to pass.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,471Gear list
Like?
Re: As one who's taken to EVFs big time. . .
In reply to Bob Tullis, 9 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

. . . this posture is just stupid, a provocation no different than walking through a crowd and poking individuals with a stick for the fun of it.

I think that underlined part is a good summary of the OP.

Mikhail Tal
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 9 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

It doesn't matter if there is a lag if it is small enough so as to be not perceptible to the human eye

Me: Future EVFs will make OVFs obsolete.

You: Which current EVFs do this?

Me: LOL

Mikhail Tal
Like?
Re: LOL OVF people
In reply to tkbslc, 9 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Me: Future EVFs will be superior to OVFs

OVF people: Wrong, because present EVFs are not superior to OVFs in my opinion.

Me: Flawless logic...

Your logic is flawed because you are talking about the "Camera of the Year", which is the present, not the future.

Also the presumption that future EVFs will be better is based on faith, whereas OVF superiority is currently observed.

The year goes through December 31st if I'm not mistaken. Is that the present? The camera of the year doesn't exist yet (certainly won't be any camera from the first half).

The kind of leap in technology required to fulfill the prophecy would require leaps of technology that are extremely unlikely. Continue in faith and prayer, and I will be just as excited as the next person if comes to pass.

You mean like the leap in technology seen in this Canon camera that we just found out about overnight? If you honestly don't think there will be a camera this fall with a substantially improved EVF compared to what currently exists then you must be ignorant and/or delusional. Hopefully for your sake you don't honestly think that.

Mikhail Tal
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, 9 months ago

scorrpio wrote:

Let us know when either Canon or Nikon announces an EVF-only flagship camera.

..or when at a major sporting event, the number of mirrorless cameras in the press box exceeds DSLRs.

Very nice try, selectively exclusing EVF flagship brands such as Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Samsung, but the Nikon V2 is the flagship of the Nikon 1 line as well. Thanks for playing and please try again!

Mikhail Tal
Like?
Re: As one who's taken to EVFs big time. . .
In reply to Bob Tullis, 9 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

And many of the postures in response are no different than a being poked with a stick and acting as if blasted by a high-powered bazooka.

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 43,326Gear list
Like?
You've got it backwards

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down. Great, so why keep the mirror and OVF at all?

Zero lag, zero battery use, near-infinite dynamic range, near-infinite color gamut, better resolution.

This fall's newest generation of EVFs are surely going to drive the lastnail in the OVF coffin and turn it into a complete anacrhonism, making the 70D technologically obsolete just a few months in.

Not unless they suddenly improve by an order of magnitude or two.

You've got that backwards...I like my OVFs over my EVFs because of utility and functionality.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Me: Future EVFs will make OVFs obsolete.

You: Which current EVFs do this?

Me: LOL

You wrote this in your first post:

So the 70D may be a nice camera, too bad canon stuck it with an OVF and mirror that the more competitive cameras will soon be able to do without (by soon I mean this fall, like Olympus, Sony, etc.)

Me: I think your concept of how close EVFs are from totally replacing optical viewfinders is highly optimistic, and that's a huge understatement.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,492
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 9 months ago

Ed B wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down. Great, so why keep the mirror and OVF at all? This fall's newest generation of EVFs are surely going to drive the lastnail in the OVF coffin and turn it into a complete anacrhonism, making the 70D technologically obsolete just a few months in. It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality. So the 70D may be a nice camera, too bad canon stuck it with an OVF and mirror that the more competitive cameras will soon be able to do without (by soon I mean this fall, like Olympus, Sony, etc.)

You're going to get some disagreement on this post.

It gets so wearisome trying to explain to fruit-bowl and flower shooters why a TTL OVF is both necessary and superior to mirrorless, at least for those of us who aren't photo'ing things that just stand in place.

As always a case of insecurity brought on by 'when they stop making that other kind of camera, it will prove that mine is the best kind' syndrome.

Midwest
Like?
Re: Is this why TV can't follow golf balls in flight?
In reply to Just Having Fun, 9 months ago

Just Having Fun wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

It simply takes milliseconds of processing time to capture the image, process it, relay it and display it in the EVF. So for tasks like sports, birds in flight - anything that needs critical timing, the OVF is likely to be faster - probably always.

And so TV cameras will not be able to follow golf balls, hockey pucks, baseballs, etc. because they all use EVFs. Oh, wait...they have been doing that for years.

TV cameras don't have to compose, sharply focus on and then capture an image of that golf ball or hockey puck. This argument is about as fatally flawed as a screen door on a submarine.

Mikhail Tal
Like?
In reply to Midwest, 9 months ago

Midwest wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down. Great, so why keep the mirror and OVF at all? This fall's newest generation of EVFs are surely going to drive the lastnail in the OVF coffin and turn it into a complete anacrhonism, making the 70D technologically obsolete just a few months in. It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality. So the 70D may be a nice camera, too bad canon stuck it with an OVF and mirror that the more competitive cameras will soon be able to do without (by soon I mean this fall, like Olympus, Sony, etc.)

You're going to get some disagreement on this post.

It gets so wearisome trying to explain to fruit-bowl and flower shooters why a TTL OVF is both necessary and superior to mirrorless, at least for those of us who aren't photo'ing things that just stand in place.

As always a case of insecurity brought on by 'when they stop making that other kind of camera, it will prove that mine is the best kind' syndrome.

No, it is just a case of people like you not having reading comprehension, it's like if you said that land line phones were superior to mobile phones in 1989 because mobile phones were oversized. All of the significant ways in which OVFs can currently construed as functionally superior to EVFs are just a short matter of time from no longer qualifying as superior. That's where we can all see the insecurity of people who deny the inexorable tidal wave of mirrorless cameras drowning the OVF diehards in a wake of anachronism.

Midwest
Like?
Re: Who was he before?
In reply to Mike CH, 9 months ago

Mike CH wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down.

You joined today, I mean created a new account on here today, to post this to put down a new launch? We all know what you are. Good luck with that.

One might even ask, who was he before today?

Some typical mirrorless missionary, banging on our doors with his pamphlets, showing us the only way to salvation is with his mirrorless camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads