HX50V zoom stability?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
HX50V zoom stability?
Jul 2, 2013

A lot of good reviews on this camera, tempted to get one, but can you really zoom all the way out and still get sharp image quality?  Anyone tried this under ordinary daylight conditions?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RM3
RM3
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: HX50V zoom stability?
In reply to Michael's Photos, Jul 3, 2013

Amsterdam Central Station on a cloudy day. The photo is not zoomed at all. The second photo is zoomed to max 30X, it is the clock on the right hand tower in the first photo. The 3rd uses clear image zoom at 60X. They are all hand held standing in the same spot. The pixel peeper police complain about the quality but I am very happy with the results.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ali
Ali
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?

A lot of good reviews on this camera, tempted to get one, but can you really zoom all the way out and still get sharp image quality? Anyone tried this under ordinary daylight conditions?

I am very happy with the image quality at both the wide and tele ends.  They're both not pixel perfect (when compared to a DSLR, for instance), but the image quality is pretty good and consistent throughout the range.

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark III
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,947Gear list
Like?
In reply to RM3, Jul 3, 2013

RM3 wrote:

Amsterdam Central Station on a cloudy day. The photo is not zoomed at all. The second photo is zoomed to max 30X, it is the clock on the right hand tower in the first photo. The 3rd uses clear image zoom at 60X. They are all hand held standing in the same spot. The pixel peeper police complain about the quality but I am very happy with the results.

They all look fine to me too.

(I can tell you used HDR in the first shot )

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
RM3
RM3
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jul 3, 2013

MarioV wrote:

RM3 wrote:

They all look fine to me too.

(I can tell you used HDR in the first shot )

MarioV-

I was using Superior Auto and because of the backlighting it used HDR all by itself. I tried asking everyone walking by to stand still but my Dutch is not very good thus the multiple images of the pedestrians!

Ali
Ali
Like?
In reply to Ali, Jul 3, 2013

And here are two pics (24mm/720mm) just snapped now, straight out of the camera. ISO200. They're at 1/60s, the IS works pretty well.

Bawph
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

Hi Michael,

Have a look HERE  too. I appreciate it was a bright sunny day, but these shots blew me away really!

Hand held too and I'm only a beginner 

It depends on what you want imho but I am more than happy with the camera.

I know pixel peepers will moan about some shots at 100% but that is their choice.

Hope it helps

Brian

ron2000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?

RM3 wrote:

Please clarify, exifs showed that your middle picture was 15x and the last one 30x.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

Terrific hand held zoom examples, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

RM3
RM3
Like?
In reply to ron2000, Jul 3, 2013

ron2000 wrote:

RM3 wrote:

Please clarify, exifs showed that your middle picture was 15x and the last one 30x.

ron2000-

I am not a photographer, I take snapshots for fun. The exif info I have does not show detailed zoom information. When I took those photos I was using Superior Auto with Clear Image Zoom set to "ON" and the first shot of the station used no zoom. (Resolution was set to 20M for all 3 shots which is the maximum for this camera.) For the second shot I zoomed until the slider bar on the screen reached the limit bar between normal zoom and Clear Image Zoom. At that point it said "30X". For the 3rd shot I extended the zoom to the end of the slider bar and it then said "60X". If I right click at the photos in Windows 7 and select “Properties”; “Details”; the first photo shows a focal length of 4mm, the 2 photo shows a focal length of 68mm, and the 3 photo shows a focal length of 129mm. The 1 and 2 photos show “”Digital Zoom 1” and the 3 shows “Digital Zoom 2”. I feel that the 30X and 60X figures I used in my post are fairly accurate when compared to the zoom power of previous cameras I have owned.

Hope that helps!

RM3

Ali
Ali
Like?

To me the difference in zoom between the 2nd and 3rd shots do look more than 2x.

Since the second shot is labelled as 68mm, that goes imply ~15x, and the third one does seem like 30x + clear zoom.

Ali

adsada
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

I'm interested to know how you're using superior auto and getting ISO100 results for even the zoomed shots? Whenever I use this mode as soon as I zoom in it often shoots up to ISO800 even in well lit conditions. any ideas on why this is? I have a feeling I have a faulty camera, hopefully not though

Edit: Just went into the garden to also show how the sensor works when zoomed in, although my garden is currently like a jungle so I found there wasn't much to zoom into and make full use of the zoom... notice the ISO800 shot for the zoomed in shots

Normal

30X zoom

60x clear zoom

Ali
Ali
Like?
In reply to adsada, Jul 3, 2013

adsada wrote:

I'm interested to know how you're using superior auto and getting ISO100 results for even the zoomed shots? Whenever I use this mode as soon as I zoom in it often shoots up to ISO800 even in well lit conditions. any ideas on why this is? I have a feeling I have a faulty camera, hopefully not though

The wide version of your shot uses f3.5, which allows more light. Zoomed in the camera moves to f6.3 (can't do any better), so it bumps up the ISO from 200 to 800 to give you the same overall exposure.

As far as why it used ISO800 rather than changing the shutter speed, I am guessing that it didn't want to give you less than 1/200s while at zoomed in so much.

And why you are getting such values in a daylight shot --- your subject seems relatively dark and doesn't seem to be in direct sunlight...

A shot in direct sunlight is canonically f16, 1/100s, at ISO 100.  Your shot at f6.3, 1/200s, ISO 800 is 5 stops difference, which I think makes sense.

I don't think you have a faulty camera.

Ali

adsada
Like?
In reply to Ali, Jul 3, 2013

I see, its just the image above of the train station is in quite a cloudy setting yet still sticks to a low ISO and uses 1/250, and the bird box is 1/60 but I suppose the subject is quite bright? I'll keep playing around with it

cheers

Ali
Ali
Like?
In reply to adsada, Jul 3, 2013

adsada wrote:

I see, its just the image above of the train station is in quite a cloudy setting yet still sticks to a low ISO and uses 1/250, and the bird box is 1/60 but I suppose the subject is quite bright? I'll keep playing around with it

I guess this goes back to your original question then about how superior auto managed to generate better results at ISO 100.  With superior auto some assumptions about exposure don't necessarily apply, since in that mode the camera might take multiple photos and combine them for better exposure.  I think that with the train station photos we are seeing some benefit of the superior auto mode.

In my bird box I got 1/60 because I was manually limiting the ISO to 200.  If I had let the ISO roam free, I think it would have given me ISO 800 with 1/250 sec.

Ali

Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
In reply to Bawph, Jul 3, 2013

Thanks to all - IS seems to work really well. Looks like it's a go for purchase -

coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Do not think this camera is good, at least so far from the photos posted by the users.
No text.
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,947Gear list
Like?
Re: Do not think this camera is good, at least so far from the photos posted by the users.
In reply to coody, Jul 4, 2013

Is trolling the forums all you do?   Where are your photos?  Oh that's right, you don't have any.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
adsada
Like?
In reply to Ali, Jul 4, 2013

How to you manually limit the ISO value? So you can tell the camera to only shoot a certain ISO and below? can't find that setting anywhere

Ali
Ali
Like?
In reply to adsada, Jul 4, 2013

adsada wrote:

How to you manually limit the ISO value? So you can tell the camera to only shoot a certain ISO and below? can't find that setting anywhere

If you're in one of the P, A, S, M modes, just hit the "Custom" button on the back of the camera, and you can set the ISO to any single value. Unfortunately as far as I know you can't say "certain ISO and below," just "certain ISO."

Ali

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads