50D to...???

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
priandhikasak
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
50D to...???
Jul 2, 2013

so i'm thinking about upgrading my 50D but still unsure in deciding which camera to replace it. the choices are:

1. the-one-year-younger 7D

2. the-newly-released 70D

3. cheaper-canon 700D

4. wait-for-the 7D2

5. stick with my 50D (since i haven't find suitable camera yet)

as a xxD user, i fancy the magnesium-alloy body and the versatility of the dial button on the back of the cam. and i feel that both 60D and its successor 70D gives an awkward feeling. i dont really care about videos and articulated or touch-screen lcd. i was thinking to upgrade it to 7D but hey! its only 1 year younger than mine and still cost $1200! my budget are around $1000-$1500, $1700 are considerable though. any comments are appreciated!

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i) Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: 50D to...???
In reply to priandhikasak, Jul 3, 2013

Why do you want to "upgrade"?  I have the 50D and am very happy with it for now.  I have a lot to learn and the 50D provides a great lab to learn in.  When I've pushed the limits of the 50D I'll then make a decision on what's next.  In the meantime I've gotten a couple really nice lenses and continue to learn from my mistakes/crappy pictures! 

Good luck.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,473
Like?

priandhikasak wrote:

so i'm thinking about upgrading my 50D but still unsure in deciding which camera to replace it. the choices are:

3. cheaper-canon 700D

4. wait-for-the 7D2

as a xxD user, i fancy the magnesium-alloy body and the versatility of the dial button on the back of the cam. and i feel that both 60D and its successor 70D gives an awkward feeling. i dont really care about videos and articulated or touch-screen lcd. i was thinking to upgrade it to 7D but hey! its only 1 year younger than mine and still cost $1200! my budget are around $1000-$1500, $1700 are considerable though. any comments are appreciated!

I must ask:  What types of things you photograph?  What lenses do you currently have?  Really good glass does make a difference.

I upgraded from a 40d to 7d about a year after it came out.  And the 7d has recently received a fairly major operating system upgrade.  Likely the most serious upgrade canon has ever done to an existing camera.  The handling of the 7d is very similar to the 50d which I now also have by the way.  But the 7d is much more responsive.  The focusing system alone is worth the extra price for me.  I tried the 60d next to the 7d.  For me there was no question the 7d was where I wanted to be.

Based upon 'rumors' the 7d2 may be announced some time in mid to late 2013.  Or it may be 2014.  If you must have a new camera I'd say look at the 7d.  It's still a good option.

Andy

paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?

priandhikasak wrote:

3. cheaper-canon 700D

4. wait-for-the 7D2

I have both the 50D and the 7D. While the 7D is a far more complete camera, I still use my 50D a lot. I have it loaded with Magic Lantern, which allows the 50D to capture HD video (it seems it was a capability that Canon left disabled at the time) but without sound.

Miguel

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 758
Like?

Give the 60D a good look.

PAUL FERGUSON
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, Jul 3, 2013

Sigma 35mm art series or a new 70-200 L IS MK 2 ,what ever your shooting the 50D still cuts it with good glass !!!!

Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580
Like?

You know, it's been said before, but it's worth saying again.  There are only two good reasons to upgrade, in my opinion.  The first is if your current camera quits working.  The second, and by far the more common reason, is if your camera isn't doing something for you that a newer/better camera does, or does better.  In other words, if you feel your current camera is limiting you in some specific way, and a newer/better camera removes that limitation, then get the newer/better camera.  I don't see anything in your post that indicates you have either reason to upgrade.  But perhaps you can go through the attributes of the cameras you're considering and see which of them provides the most important new/better features for you.

FF

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads