Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions
Troels Oesteraa
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to PGR streetshooter, Jul 7, 2013

PGR streetshooter wrote:

I got the GR on the last day of May. I liked it first off but shortly I had reservations about how it would work with me. I felt that it was intruding on my vision and process and not supporting it. I've been into Ricoh's since I was in Nam in 1969-70. So I'm used to the certain issues the Ricoh engineers have and don't take meds for.

After a few weeks I was ready to give up and use the Nikon. I just felt that inside the GR was a GRD4 hiding. So I decided to give the camera a month to prove itself. It did and I'm just about settled in with it. I talked with Ray, yes...hes a local friend and he helped me decide on the way to use the camera. There are issues with this GR thing and hopefully in time, it will be worked out in a firmware upgrade. At this point, I don't care anymore...I just want to work.

That is the Ricoh adventure so far. The Nikon is as good if not better. To qualify that, I like the Ricoh interface more than any other camera, bar none. The Nikon has a very masculine way to it vrs the GR which is more feminine. I know this sounds crazy and it probably is but truth is truth.

The Nikon has features that the GR needs upgrading to but probably won't happen. If I were to do it all over, I'd give up on the GR and keep the Nikon. That camera really works the way we want the GR to work.

I know this is like a story but that's the way life is.... a story...

good luck in your quest.

Hi Don,

Very interesting post. Sounds like you've passioned with Ricoh for a long time. Did you own the GRD4 prior to the GR / GRD5 ?

From reviews i definitely prefer Ricoh's interface too. I guess I know what you mean with "feminine", but I'd probably consider it as more "intuitive" and faster to use and access. Either of these cameras is a huge step up from the ZS7 when it comes to customize-ability and features, and acessing these features as fast as possible would be an added bonus for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 7, 2013

PGR streetshooter wrote:

I got the GR on the last day of May. I liked it first off but shortly I had reservations about how it would work with me. I felt that it was intruding on my vision and process and not supporting it. I've been into Ricoh's since I was in Nam in 1969-70. So I'm used to the certain issues the Ricoh engineers have and don't take meds for.

After a few weeks I was ready to give up and use the Nikon. I just felt that inside the GR was a GRD4 hiding. So I decided to give the camera a month to prove itself. It did and I'm just about settled in with it. I talked with Ray, yes...hes a local friend and he helped me decide on the way to use the camera. There are issues with this GR thing and hopefully in time, it will be worked out in a firmware upgrade. At this point, I don't care anymore...I just want to work.

That is the Ricoh adventure so far. The Nikon is as good if not better. To qualify that, I like the Ricoh interface more than any other camera, bar none. The Nikon has a very masculine way to it vrs the GR which is more feminine. I know this sounds crazy and it probably is but truth is truth.

The Nikon has features that the GR needs upgrading to but probably won't happen. If I were to do it all over, I'd give up on the GR and keep the Nikon. That camera really works the way we want the GR to work.

I know this is like a story but that's the way life is.... a story...

good luck in your quest.

Hi Don,

Very interesting post. Sounds like you've passioned with Ricoh for a long time. Did you own the GRD4 prior to the GR / GRD5 ?

From reviews i definitely prefer Ricoh's interface too. I guess I know what you mean with "feminine", but I'd probably consider it as more "intuitive" and faster to use and access. Either of these cameras is a huge step up from the ZS7 when it comes to customize-ability and features, and acessing these features as fast as possible would be an added bonus for me.

Troels,
Yeah man...I still have the White GRD4 in use and a Black one in the box as a backup.
The GR tested my patience and showed its sense of humor. We're starting to get along now....ya know...it's been this way with all woman and me forever.....
So I now share more with the GR because she very quietly demands attention.

I see it like this...I have sold enough prints to collectors to let me know I'm on the right track. The GR does become intuitive in time. I know I am far more demanding of a camera than most but I have to say, it's up for the task.

My brother in law is in Russia and he's a programming genius. I made some request to him for firmware things and he's getting a camera and will redo the operating system. Hopefully then he'll send me the files and I'll make a super GR.

By the way....issue 3 is getting ready and if anyone wishes to have around 5 images and a brief statement in it..... Let me know and I'll get your stuff in It. We are over 38000 readers and climbing....
--
Cheers, Don

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgrshooter/

blog
http://streetshooter.net/

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
In reply to PGR streetshooter, Jul 10, 2013

In Hong Kong one can already got the Coolpix A for about US$900 just $100 over GR

It is my belief that $100 is well worth it for made in Japan alone.  If one is the type who want to use a camera for 5+ years, made in Japan is a better bet that it will last

In US still $1100 who is greedy I don't know

aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Jul 10, 2013

D800E with left side focusing problem is made in Japan.

x100 with sticky aperture blade was made in Japan.

iPhones and other apple products are made in China.

Just saying...

Jefftan wrote:

In Hong Kong one can already got the Coolpix A for about US$900 just $100 over GR

It is my belief that $100 is well worth it for made in Japan alone. If one is the type who want to use a camera for 5+ years, made in Japan is a better bet that it will last

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jul 10, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

It might explain why my 3GS have the infamous mute-switch problem which makes it flex slightly but enough so that the phone vibrates when the switch is set to silent It's a known hardware problem with the 3GS. At least it is not hard to solve and I might buy the part needed to do it.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
aleksanderpolo
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jul 10, 2013

Haha, and I have seen enough iphone with smashed glass to make me stay away from it too. Anyway, just go on to show that these days, there is really not that much one can tell from the brand or origin.

schaki wrote:

aleksanderpolo wrote:

It might explain why my 3GS have the infamous mute-switch problem which makes it flex slightly but enough so that the phone vibrates when the switch is set to silent It's a known hardware problem with the 3GS. At least it is not hard to solve and I might buy the part needed to do it.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,612
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Jul 10, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

In Hong Kong one can already got the Coolpix A for about US$900 just $100 over GR

It is my belief that $100 is well worth it for made in Japan alone. If one is the type who want to use a camera for 5+ years, made in Japan is a better bet that it will last

I have had a host of Ricoh cameras - all made in China as far as I know - all very reliable, well built. Even the eight year old original GRD which is apparently well beyond its use-by date.

On the other hand my most unreliable camera ever was a Nikon made in Japan (just the one, maybe I should have bought another to see if things would improve)

This was the Nikon Coolpix 5700, to be fair this horrible little camera dates back to 9 May 2002.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

And yes it was not good for even a couple of years before I binned it and spent most of this time off being repaired.

Therefore neither "Nikon" nor "made in Japan" is a guarantee that everything will be sweet.

And yes my Canon, made in Japan, cameras have all been pretty reliable (just to show lack of bias - grin).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

aleksanderpolo
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jul 10, 2013

I also have a made in Japan Canon P&S, also incredibly reliable. And I have a Canon APS film camera from more than 13 years ago, last time I check on it, it is still kicking, it was also made in Japan.

But if made in Japan/made in China is a valid argument for a higher price, I would argue that the recent problem with Nikon: the left focus point issue of D800E, the dust/oil issue of D600, and the base ISO banding issue of D7100/D5200 would be an even more valid argument to stay away from Nikon?

But of course I wouldn't argue that.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,612
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jul 10, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

I also have a made in Japan Canon P&S, also incredibly reliable. And I have a Canon APS film camera from more than 13 years ago, last time I check on it, it is still kicking, it was also made in Japan.

But if made in Japan/made in China is a valid argument for a higher price, I would argue that the recent problem with Nikon: the left focus point issue of D800E, the dust/oil issue of D600, and the base ISO banding issue of D7100/D5200 would be an even more valid argument to stay away from Nikon?

But of course I wouldn't argue that.

My feedback from Nikon users that I have met is that they made (at least) very good slr and dslr camera and some exceedingly wonderful lenses.  But their "Coolpix" series consumer level cameras were not very good at all.  The Nikon Coolpix 5700 was a camera that was the top of the range at the time of their non-dslr camera and cost me about AUD$1,800.  I bought it to replace my earlier reliable but discontinued  Canon Pro90IS which was the first camera to bring the wonder of digital photography to me.  A camera well ahead of its time but too costly and the megapixel race left it an orphan.  Hence the Nikon 5700. The menu system was beyond me and that says a lot.  Then the camera had a series of repairs necessary culminating in the mother board failing when loaned to my daughter on her first serious overseas trip in Canada.  So she came back with some very odd looking images from that trip and I have not been a great fan of Nikon ever since.

Despite owning far too many thousand of cameras this Nikon was the most unreliable ever and amounted to more than 50% of my repair requests single handed.

So this was no point and shoot but a figurehead of a camera for those who might not be quite into buying a dlsr.  Therefore it does not matter where a camera is made there can be a bad one just as much as made in Germany cannot prevent Volkswagen making lemons.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Documensony
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jul 10, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

The Nikon Coolpix 5700 was a camera that was the top of the range at the time of their non-dslr camera and cost me about AUD$1,800. [...] The menu system was beyond me and that says a lot. Then the camera had a series of repairs necessary culminating in the mother board failing when loaned to my daughter on her first serious overseas trip in Canada. [...] this Nikon was the most unreliable ever

And the Coolpix 5700 was made in ... China

-- hide signature --

*Documensony*
'Spontaneity is enabled by rigorous practice'

schaki
Like?
Re: The service menu
In reply to PGR streetshooter, Jul 12, 2013

PGR streetshooter wrote:

My brother in law is in Russia and he's a programming genius. I made some request to him for firmware things and he's getting a camera and will redo the operating system. Hopefully then he'll send me the files and I'll make a super GR.

Could your perhaps ask you brother if he can find out the button press combination which is needed to enter the service menu?

Unless Ricoh has made some changes to that combination it should still be the same in GRDIV and hopefully some of the older Ricohs as well and maybe also for the GXR. The thing is that we would benefit from that if we could pixel-map the sensors without having to send the cameras in for service.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jul 12, 2013

Well that is going to be my first and probably also last Iphone unless Apple make drastic changes to the NR in the probably upcoming Smudgephone 5s or 6. The 4 and 4S are ok and the 3GS is merely ok if it can keep the iso down.

I just wanted some newer smartphone than my aged Sony Ericsson P910i and one with ok camera. Knew that a friend of mine would buy the new Iphone 5 earlier this year and that the 3GS at least had an ok camera so I asked him if I could buy his 3GS when he got the Iphone 5.

That's one thing I don't like about it, that the iso can't be set manually.

I would probably have liked to use a Nokia N8 or PV 808 if it not was for that Symbian OS. Still thinking that I might buy a used N8 anyway and use it in the meantime until the successor to the 808 shows up, which should be the next big thing among cameraphones.

My Contax TVS Digital was Made in Japan and the Konica Minolta Dimage G600 Made in Malaysia.  Interestingly the old Minolta Dimage EX 1500 was Made in Japan. But that was probably before alliance with Konica.

All these three seems to work very well despite that the KM G600 obviously not has been well treated by the previous owner as the final barrel on the zoom have come off and also some other minor part.

aleksanderpolo wrote:

Haha, and I have seen enough iphone with smashed glass to make me stay away from it too. Anyway, just go on to show that these days, there is really not that much one can tell from the brand or origin.

schaki wrote:

aleksanderpolo wrote:

Contax TVS Digital
Polemachus
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: There's also the 21mm adapter...
In reply to cptrios, Jul 12, 2013

YES! The GW-3 - that would be decisive factor for me as well.

cptrios wrote:

One thing that may be a deciding factor for you is the GW-3 (if they ever freaking release it over here). It's an add-on, sure, but it's an option that you simply don't get with the Nikon. Early reports say it works really well, which is pretty fantastic considering how this type of thing usually goes. We all obviously have different needs, but for me, I think I could take a trip to an urban environment and have about 80% of my photography covered by a GR/GW-3 combo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads