Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions
Troels Oesteraa
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
Jul 2, 2013

Hello

I know I'm probably beating a very dead horse, but It's a question I can't answer since I am not able to see either of the cameras in real life and it seems like a lot of comparisons always end up focusing on specs vs. price alone and concludes that the GR is "better".

But if cost was left out of the equation, would people then choose the A over the GR based on such things as image neutrality, build quality, and LCD screen quality? I don't want this to end with the battle of "Made in China" vs. "Made in Japan", but just objectively speaking.

I notice that the GR has a slightly greenish tint compared to the "A" when comparing in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/16 - especially noticeable at the Kodac gray scale chart in the top middle.

Some background info: Right now I have a Panasonic ZS7/TZ10 which I'm getting a bit tired of. Overly much compression, and too slow a lens for always shooting at ISO80 or 100. I've also found that I'm not that much of a fan of the amount of green tint it has, or at least how it always emphasizes it. I've found that I don't use zoom that much either.

The Sigma DPxM series has caught my interest since it produces image quality that is just breathtaking and nearly surreal, but everything else about these seem to be a large drawback so it's off the list for now. So this is where I am now.

Thanks for any kind of input.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (Lumix DMC-TZ10)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,219
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 2, 2013

Troels

They are both great cameras and either will make you happy.  Not much help.

Ray Sachs has tried both and likes the Nikon A the best.  Others prefer the GR.  Most people on this forum have only tried the GR and do not know the Nikon A.  On a Nikon forum it would be the other way around.

Not many would buy both to try them out.  They are too similar in concept and performance.

In the end there is probably a style of use that does not show up in specifications.  The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box.  The Ricoh GR is after the style of more recent Ricoh camera offerings and repays some configuration attention from the user even if this is not really necessary.  A good deal depends on how you see your own interface with the camera.

The Nikon A seems more the small camera you carry when you don't need your Nikon dslr, the GR is Ricoh's flagship that shows off their technical excellence and comes loaded as the most highly configurable user-friendly camea of it's type.  It breeds Ricoh "camera tragics", almost a cult.

These things you don't read in the specifications.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ybor
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 2, 2013

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

Hello

I know I'm probably beating a very dead horse, but It's a question I can't answer since I am not able to see either of the cameras in real life and it seems like a lot of comparisons always end up focusing on specs vs. price alone and concludes that the GR is "better".

But if cost was left out of the equation, would people then choose the A over the GR based on such things as image neutrality, build quality, and LCD screen quality? I don't want this to end with the battle of "Made in China" vs. "Made in Japan", but just objectively speaking.

I notice that the GR has a slightly greenish tint compared to the "A" when comparing in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/16 - especially noticeable at the Kodac gray scale chart in the top middle.

Some background info: Right now I have a Panasonic ZS7/TZ10 which I'm getting a bit tired of. Overly much compression, and too slow a lens for always shooting at ISO80 or 100. I've also found that I'm not that much of a fan of the amount of green tint it has, or at least how it always emphasizes it. I've found that I don't use zoom that much either.

The Sigma DPxM series has caught my interest since it produces image quality that is just breathtaking and nearly surreal, but everything else about these seem to be a large drawback so it's off the list for now. So this is where I am now.

Gotta tell you that if money is no object then get both. An added bonus if you get the Ricoh you can come here and share your user experience because there are some really special GR users that are extremely helpful. If interested, I will forward the names of the most helpful.

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 3, 2013

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

Hello

I got the GR on the last day of May. I liked it first off but shortly I had reservations about how it would work with me. I felt that it was intruding on my vision and process and not supporting it. I've been into Ricoh's since I was in Nam in 1969-70. So I'm used to the certain issues the Ricoh engineers have and don't take meds for.

After a few weeks I was ready to give up and use the Nikon. I just felt that inside the GR was a GRD4 hiding. So I decided to give the camera a month to prove itself. It did and I'm just about settled in with it. I talked with Ray, yes...hes a local friend and he helped me decide on the way to use the camera. There are issues with this GR thing and hopefully in time, it will be worked out in a firmware upgrade. At this point, I don't care anymore...I just want to work.

That is the Ricoh adventure so far. The Nikon is as good if not better. To qualify that, I like the Ricoh interface more than any other camera, bar none. The Nikon has a very masculine way to it vrs the GR which is more feminine. I know this sounds crazy and it probably is but truth is truth.

The Nikon has features that the GR needs upgrading to but probably won't happen. If I were to do it all over, I'd give up on the GR and keep the Nikon. That camera really works the way we want the GR to work.

I know this is like a story but that's the way life is.... a story...

good luck in your quest.

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,530Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jul 3, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Troels

They are both great cameras and either will make you happy. Not much help.

Ray Sachs has tried both and likes the Nikon A the best. Others prefer the GR. Most people on this forum have only tried the GR and do not know the Nikon A. On a Nikon forum it would be the other way around.

Not many would buy both to try them out. They are too similar in concept and performance.

In the end there is probably a style of use that does not show up in specifications. The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box. The Ricoh GR is after the style of more recent Ricoh camera offerings and repays some configuration attention from the user even if this is not really necessary. A good deal depends on how you see your own interface with the camera.

The Nikon A seems more the small camera you carry when you don't need your Nikon dslr, the GR is Ricoh's flagship that shows off their technical excellence and comes loaded as the most highly configurable user-friendly camea of it's type. It breeds Ricoh "camera tragics", almost a cult.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom put this perfectly

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,304
Like?

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

On the criteria of image neutrality, build quality and LCD quality, there are a few answers.  Reviews and anecdotal reports suggest that the Nikon has excellent build quality and very good image neutrality out of the box.  LCD quality seems to be about the same, and the GR is excellent in that regard.

If you are okay with processing your own images, even just loading them into Lightroom and doing a batch process, you can take care of any colour bias you want.  I haven't been bothered by any greenish tint, or even noticed.

Where the GR really comes into its own is the handling, ergonomics and user customization.  The GRD III was the best handling compact camera I had ever used, and it absolutely hooked me on Ricoh ergonomics and interface.  As as result, I bought the GXR and immediately felt at home.  Happily, the GR is an even further improvement on those qualities.  The Nikon seems well designed, but I have yet to read anyone rave about its ergonomics and customization like the Ricoh GR/GXR family

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
There's also the 21mm adapter...
In reply to Archiver, Jul 3, 2013

One thing that may be a deciding factor for you is the GW-3 (if they ever freaking release it over here). It's an add-on, sure, but it's an option that you simply don't get with the Nikon. Early reports say it works really well, which is pretty fantastic considering how this type of thing usually goes. We all obviously have different needs, but for me, I think I could take a trip to an urban environment and have about 80% of my photography covered by a GR/GW-3 combo.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,433Gear list
Like?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box.

I disagree with the first half of this sentience, but I basically agree with everything else Tom wrote here. The Nikon is easier to get up to speed with right out of the box (unless you're an experienced Ricoh user who's set up a Ricoh or two before, in which case, not much difference there either), but it's not for "the less involved user". As with any camera, it takes time to really learn its key strengths and some of its hidden options. I had both for a while and it took me longer than I like to admit to find and fully figure out how to use the couple of features that really made the difference for me in favor of the Nikon. I was much more familiar with Ricoh's interface going in and somewhat biased that way initially, but the Nikon is ALSO a joy to shoot with, but differently.

But overall I'd say that. If money is no object it's a tougher call than if it is. If it is, the Ricoh is clearly the better value in most parts of the world. If its not, it comes down to personal preference. The colors are different, but I wouldn't say one is better, just different enough for personal preference to come into it if you really prefer one over the other. I initially preferred the Nikon colors, but the Ricoh's grew on me a LOT, until that ultimately became a non-factor in my decision making.

Good luck - there's no right answer here. But more importantly, there's no WRONG answer here. If the two options hadn't appeared at roughly the same time, I'd have bought either that DID show up and would have been ecstatic with it. As is, they're two great options with slightly different tradeoffs, one of which may appeal more to a given user. Or may not, in which case price, at that point, IS the key difference.

Good luck,

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,720Gear list
Like?
I'm liking the Fuji X100 better

The X100 is ranked now by Fuji purists as better IQ than the X-E1, X-Pro1 and the X100S. Better colors, easier RAWs, and no blurry areas.

I find the A to be too wide. Too much distortion easily creeps in into one's life. Sometimes arms are gross.

The OVF/EVF of the X100 is a lot of fun and needed in the sun.

They are $ 799 on eBay new. I got a black X100 new for 899.

The X100 has that "detail without texture" someone mentioned, skin is smooth. Pink skin tones make all healthy looking.

My wife looks 10 years younger with the X100, and 10 years older with the A. The A is too biting sharp and contrasty.

They fixed the SAB sticky blades on the X100. New firmware is peppy. It is a romantic camera with excellent IQ, skin tones.

It is heavy at 15 ounces vs 111 for the A and 9 for the GR.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 3, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box.

I disagree with the first half of this sentience, but I basically agree with everything else Tom wrote here. The Nikon is easier to get up to speed with right out of the box (unless you're an experienced Ricoh user who's set up a Ricoh or two before, in which case, not much difference there either), but it's not for "the less involved user".

Ray, no disrespect for the "less involved user" mention.  It is just that the GR has much more customisation possibilities (presumably) than the Nikon A and therefore some users might find getting to know the GR camera (requires) more involving.  Sort of back to front logic here.  But you know both cameras and I respect your knowledge of them.  The GR has three dial accessed custom my modes and six more custom box modes that can be used. If the GR user choses to get involved in setting them up then they can get involved.

As with any camera, it takes time to really learn its key strengths and some of its hidden options. I had both for a while and it took me longer than I like to admit to find and fully figure out how to use the couple of features that really made the difference for me in favor of the Nikon. I was much more familiar with Ricoh's interface going in and somewhat biased that way initially, but the Nikon is ALSO a joy to shoot with, but differently.

But overall I'd say that. If money is no object it's a tougher call than if it is. If it is, the Ricoh is clearly the better value in most parts of the world. If its not, it comes down to personal preference. The colors are different, but I wouldn't say one is better, just different enough for personal preference to come into it if you really prefer one over the other. I initially preferred the Nikon colors, but the Ricoh's grew on me a LOT, until that ultimately became a non-factor in my decision making.

Good luck - there's no right answer here. But more importantly, there's no WRONG answer here. If the two options hadn't appeared at roughly the same time, I'd have bought either that DID show up and would have been ecstatic with it. As is, they're two great options with slightly different tradeoffs, one of which may appeal more to a given user. Or may not, in which case price, at that point, IS the key difference.

Good luck,

-Ray

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Ray Sachs
Like?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I disagree with the first half of this sentience, but I basically agree with everything else Tom wrote here. The Nikon is easier to get up to speed with right out of the box (unless you're an experienced Ricoh user who's set up a Ricoh or two before, in which case, not much difference there either), but it's not for "the less involved user".

Ray, no disrespect for the "less involved user" mention. It is just that the GR has much more customisation possibilities (presumably) than the Nikon A and therefore some users might find getting to know the GR camera (requires) more involving. Sort of back to front logic here. But you know both cameras and I respect your knowledge of them. The GR has three dial accessed custom my modes and six more custom box modes that can be used. If the GR user choses to get involved in setting them up then they can get involved.

No offense taken Tom. I'd just say "differently involved". I've shot with lots of stuff and many cameras allow very high levels of user involvement. They don't do it the same way Ricoh does, and Ricoh for sure allows as much customization as any and more than many (although some allow just as much, but in different ways - Olympus, for example, will wear you out with the possibilities if you want to take it that far). But above the level of point and shoot, most modern cameras allow for as much involvement as the user wishes. Some also have more auto type modes that also allow LESS involvement, but we don't have to use those unless we hand the camera off to a less involved friend or relative to take a few shots.

And, OTOH, some of the simplest cameras are for some of the most involved users. I'd say a Leica M9 is one of the simplest on the market, but requires a high level of user involvement to get the most from it. I've been shooting with the DP1M for a couple of weeks now and its also a very simple camera in terms of interface complexity, but a very involved shooting experience.

-Ray

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 3, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Ray, no disrespect for the "less involved user" mention. It is just that the GR has much more customisation possibilities (presumably) than the Nikon A and therefore some users might find getting to know the GR camera (requires) more involving. Sort of back to front logic here. But you know both cameras and I respect your knowledge of them. The GR has three dial accessed custom my modes and six more custom box modes that can be used. If the GR user choses to get involved in setting them up then they can get involved.

No offense taken Tom. I'd just say "differently involved". I've shot with lots of stuff and many cameras allow very high levels of user involvement. They don't do it the same way Ricoh does, and Ricoh for sure allows as much customization as any and more than many (although some allow just as much, but in different ways - Olympus, for example, will wear you out with the possibilities if you want to take it that far). But above the level of point and shoot, most modern cameras allow for as much involvement as the user wishes. Some also have more auto type modes that also allow LESS involvement, but we don't have to use those unless we hand the camera off to a less involved friend or relative to take a few shots.

And, OTOH, some of the simplest cameras are for some of the most involved users. I'd say a Leica M9 is one of the simplest on the market, but requires a high level of user involvement to get the most from it. I've been shooting with the DP1M for a couple of weeks now and its also a very simple camera in terms of interface complexity, but a very involved shooting experience.

-Ray

On that we must agree.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

Both cameras are very similar and build quality of the GR is excellent as it is for all Ricoh cameras, Nikon is also very good so there won't be any difference.

The GR is smaller and lighter and should fit in a pocket better due to the strap lugs not being exposed as on the Nikon.

The GR screen is better as it is higher resolution and should be better in bright light.

The built in ND filter and faster shutter speed available are also very nice to have and speak more towards the GR.

In terms of image quality, if you process RAW files and use a correct profile both should be nearly identical, the JPGs will be different but ca be tweaked in canera so there should not be a huge dofference and is in the end all about subjective preference.

But if money is no object, order both, pick both up and keep the one that feels better in hand.

One other thing to consider is that you can control the GR with one hand while you wil need two for the Nikon.

GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Troels

They are both great cameras and either will make you happy. Not much help.

Ray Sachs has tried both and likes the Nikon A the best. Others prefer the GR. Most people on this forum have only tried the GR and do not know the Nikon A. On a Nikon forum it would be the other way around.

Not many would buy both to try them out. They are too similar in concept and performance.

In the end there is probably a style of use that does not show up in specifications. The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box. The Ricoh GR is after the style of more recent Ricoh camera offerings and repays some configuration attention from the user even if this is not really necessary. A good deal depends on how you see your own interface with the camera.

The Nikon A seems more the small camera you carry when you don't need your Nikon dslr, the GR is Ricoh's flagship that shows off their technical excellence and comes loaded as the most highly configurable user-friendly camea of it's type. It breeds Ricoh "camera tragics", almost a cult.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

I agree with you.

My only thought on where the NIkon A is superior to the Ricoh GR is the ring around the lens mount for focus.

If I was invested in a Nikon dSLR system, I would choose the Nikon A due to the similarity of the button controls and the menu structure.

For all other users, I would choose the Ricoh GR. I do not think most users will miss the focus ring since most Ricoh users would probably use snap focus instead.

fooddudeone
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to GXRuser, Jul 3, 2013

I checked out the A recently in J&R and Best Buy for curiosity.. thing is an ugly brick. Odd to hold, lacks a decent grip, super awkward placement of dials (needs 2 hand operation), bulky, heavy, bigger. I'd honestly pay much more for the GR.

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to fooddudeone, Jul 3, 2013

fooddudeone wrote:

I checked out the A recently in J&R and Best Buy for curiosity.. thing is an ugly brick. Odd to hold, lacks a decent grip, super awkward placement of dials (needs 2 hand operation), bulky, heavy, bigger. I'd honestly pay much more for the GR.

Ugly brick is obviously in the eye of the beholder - I don't find the A or the GR much to look AT. But spending a couple of minutes in Best Buy doesn't tell you any more about the A than it would the GR. I use mine one handed about 98-99% of the time. Every now and then, when I need a seldom used control, I use the "I" button and this is somewhat easier to navigate with two hands, but I honestly don't find the A any more awkward to operate than any of the three Ricoh's I've owned and/or shot with. No problem with anyone preferring either for whatever reasons, but I find your statement to be enough of a mis-characterization to respond. I agree that the Ricoh feels better in the hand - than almost ANYTHING else I've shot with. But the Nikon isn't at all bad in this respect, just not as good...

-Ray

Logan3-1639
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to GXRuser, Jul 3, 2013

If I was invested in a Nikon dSLR system, I would choose the Nikon A due to the similarity of the button controls and the menu structure.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D50. Eventually I upgraded to the D90 and later the D7000, but I chose the Ricoh GR and I have no regrets whatsoever. Even if the Coolpix A and GR were the same price I would have chosen the GR. A small part of the reason I chose the GR over the A is sentimental: my first 35mm film camera was a Ricoh rangefinder.

I've always favored compact cameras. At a time when many of my peers were using Nikon Fs and Canon AE-1s, my first SLR was the Olympus OM-1. I chose it partly because of the great reviews it was getting and because it was compact and weighed substantially less than the AE-1 or the F. I loved the OM-1, maybe as much as I now love the Ricoh GR.

I don't know if the GR is the best camera I've ever owned, but it's definitely my favorite.

Logan3-1639's gear list:Logan3-1639's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?

There is not much difference between the two in terms of image quality, build quality, etc. The main difference is in handling, operation, etc, and those are really personal preferences. So, I don't think anyone can tell you which one you would prefer.

Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jul 3, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

There is not much difference between the two in terms of image quality, build quality, etc. The main difference is in handling, operation, etc, and those are really personal preferences. So, I don't think anyone can tell you which one you would prefer.

Exactly. I had both for a while... bought the A because it was available first and then the GR when it became available. As a long time GR shooter I stuck with what I was familiar with and sold the A. But both are fantastic cameras!

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 Nikon Df +2 more
Troels Oesteraa
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 7, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I disagree with the first half of this sentience, but I basically agree with everything else Tom wrote here. The Nikon is easier to get up to speed with right out of the box (unless you're an experienced Ricoh user who's set up a Ricoh or two before, in which case, not much difference there either), but it's not for "the less involved user". As with any camera, it takes time to really learn its key strengths and some of its hidden options. I had both for a while and it took me longer than I like to admit to find and fully figure out how to use the couple of features that really made the difference for me in favor of the Nikon. I was much more familiar with Ricoh's interface going in and somewhat biased that way initially, but the Nikon is ALSO a joy to shoot with, but differently.

Good luck,

-Ray

Thanks Tom & Ray for your thoughts on this. It made me consider the pros and cons for several days, while bearing in mind that there's no wrong choice to make here. But what a hard decision. But I'll go with the GR.

But one thing I can say for certain: It's really incredible that the video performance from either the GR and A lacks features that my old ZS7/TZ10 has, but I hope that Ricoh will make a firmware update... no AF or focus options during video mode doesn't make sense these days. But again, I want to use it for photography primarily, so it isn't a deal-breaker.

Another thing I've been thinking about is: Why a maximum aperture of just 2.8 for both the A and GR? My thought is that in order to accommodate larger apertures, it will be at the cost of either vignetting, or increasing the size/diameter of the lenses themselves to increase convergence. So is the F/2.8 simply a limitation that was introduced to accommodate a larger sensor size so that corner "defects" such as aberration and vignetting would be minimized ?

And another thing: A DB-60 battery will work in the Ricoh GR, right?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads