Police out of control or were they justified?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
angrywhtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 843
Like?
Police out of control or were they justified?
Jul 2, 2013

This is VERY disturbing.  What say you about the force used?

Hawthorne, Ca Police Kill Dog(1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZr4ie2AE

angrywhtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 843
Like?
Re: Police out of control or were they justified?
In reply to angrywhtman, Jul 2, 2013

My two cents on this....

The dog didn't deserve being shot. I didn't see it bite anyone?

The pedestrian should have not been aprehended for photographing the police assuming this is benign an not something else going on that we viewers don't know.

The pedestrian is an azzhole for taunting the police

All around this was mishandled by the police and the pedestrian and the dog paid the price.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamesMortimer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492
Like?

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

The pedestrian should have not been aprehended for photographing the police assuming this is benign an not something else going on that we viewers don't know.

All around this was mishandled by the police and the pedestrian and the dog paid the price.

The reality is that no one will give a shiit by this time next week and nothing will be done to the copper, either punishment or re-education.

Such is the way the world spins now.

Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?

angrywhtman wrote:

This is VERY disturbing. What say you about the force used?

Policemen like to kill dogs.  Happens all the time in the Atlanta area.

Guess they treat it as target practice.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

angrywhtman wrote:

This whole incident, (it appears) was precipitated because this man was video taping law enforcement and their actions.  He was looking for a confrontation, and HE GOT IT.

Instead of letting law enforcement do their job, he wanted to make a name for himself, and claim violation of human rights.  (Yeah, I heard him say it in the video).

So, he was looking for trouble and found it.  The police do not want to be video taped.

Furthermore, when he placed the dog in the car, clearly the window was down and the dog was able to defend his owner.  Clearly the dog was trained to do just that, defend.

I wish the officers did not have to shoot the dog, but the dog attacked while they were in the process of arresting this man, who clearly wanted the confrontation.

So, even though I wish the officers had other options to stop the dog, when it attacked, and bite the officer, then they are free to use force to stop the dog.

It all could have been averted had the man taking the video did what he was instructed to do, and then SECURED the dog.

The video is hard to watch, and as a dog owner, I hated seeing this video.  But I blame the man who caused this problem, not the police.

Now, I am sure you will blame the police officers, as that appears to be your typical agenda.  Never blame the party who CREATED the problem, blame the police.  Right?

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,232
Like?
It depends.

angrywhtman wrote:

I think the police were justified in shooting the dog when the dog started attacking (but why not try mace first?), but it seems the police created the situation by cuffing the owner.  What, exactly, did that guy do that justified the police cuffing him?

Great Bustard
Like?
"The police do not want to be video taped."
In reply to Slider44, Jul 2, 2013

Slider44 wrote:

The police do not want to be video taped.

And that justifies cuffing the guy?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

You didn't see it bite anyone, or you fail to acknowledge it bite the officer and attacked.

Yes, the pedestrian created this whole situation, and his dog attacked.  The police did not attack the dog, the dog attacked them.

All around this was mishandled by the police and the pedestrian and the dog paid the price.

Seriously?  What did you expect the police to do?  Let this man taunt them by video taping them, and then having his dog attack?  Do you know the laws on dogs?  This dog was clearly not confined or secured?  If a dog escapes and attacks, then you are free to defend under any circumstances, including deadly force if necessary.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: "The police do not want to be video taped."
In reply to Great Bustard, Jul 2, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Slider44 wrote:

Do you know the laws?  If not, I suggest you read up on them before you video tape, or ignore a police officers warnings.

Otherwise, your words are just that, words.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

When did this happen?

I just searched California law, and police officers CAN BE VIDEO recorded.  According to the FEDERAL link below, the laws were challenged and changed in 2011 that allowed public citizens the right to record public servants, including police.  Unless they are interfering with the officers.  They are not allowed to interfere.

In my opinion, this man was NOT interfering, but clearly looking to stir up trouble.

http://articles.ehlinelaw.com/filming-police-legal-or-not/

http://technorati.com/technology/article/federal-courts-rule-it-is-not/

My opinion of the dog being shot and killed does not change though.   When the dog is in public, it MUST be controlled at all times.  If it gets loose and attacks, then citizens, or the police can use whatever means necessary to defend themselves.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Great Bustard
Like?
In reply to Slider44, Jul 2, 2013

Slider44 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Slider44 wrote:

Do you know the laws?

I do not.  Do you?  Please cite the ordinance, if you do.

If not, I suggest you read up on them before you video tape, or ignore a police officers warnings.

I do my best to avoid the police.  Hard to do sometimes, like when selling crack to elementary school kids at a 7/11.  In retrospect, not the brightest "get rich quick" scheme I've come up with.

My words are always just words.  What else did you think they might be?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
"Why no Black cops"?? 1:45 mark of video.

I change my opinion completely!

Go back and view the video again, and pay special attention to the 10 seconds, starting at 1:45 on the video. The part where he confronts the officers about, "why there aren't any black cops present".

That becomes interfering and confrontational, and the police then had every right to remove him, because CLEARLY this man was looking to cause trouble.

If he would have stood there and just video taped, that is fine, but when you interfere and become confrontational with police, especially when they were clearly in the middle of an arrest, then all bets are off. I do not feel sorry for this man one tiny bit.

-- hide signature --

Slider44

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ahender, Jul 2, 2013

pointless putting a link up what cant be seen ... IF dog owners cant controll the Dog then it should be put down .. far too many dogs running  amock in this world   .. if you must have a vicious animal keep it under control ...

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
LeRentier
Forum ProPosts: 13,622Gear list
Like?

It does look very disturbing but, on the other hand, that was a Rottweiler dog, the kind that doesn't let go once it bites.

Here in France such a dog is considered as a potentially deadly weapon.

Maybe these cops could have handled this better but I don't know how many brain cells they are required to have before they are let loose in the street.

-- hide signature --

veni vidi vomi

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,206
Like?
In reply to angrywhtman, Jul 3, 2013

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

Both sides were "out of control". I did see the dog start to harry the Officers.

Rotties are cattle dogs at heart. they will dart and nip. It's their nature.

They are also big and strong enough to do damage when they do decide to grab on.

A shameful incident all the way around.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681
Like?
In reply to Slider44, Jul 3, 2013

Slider44 wrote:

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

You didn't see it bite anyone, or you fail to acknowledge it bite the officer and attacked.

Yes, the pedestrian created this whole situation, and his dog attacked. The police did not attack the dog, the dog attacked them.

Seriously? What did you expect the police to do? Let this man taunt them by video taping them, and then having his dog attack? Do you know the laws on dogs? This dog was clearly not confined or secured? If a dog escapes and attacks, then you are free to defend under any circumstances, including deadly force if necessary.

Uh the "suspect" had put the dog in his car. The dog left the car to go to the "suspect".

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

drh681
Like?

Slider44 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Slider44 wrote:

Do you know the laws? If not, I suggest you read up on them before you video tape, or ignore a police officers warnings.

The Law is clear. Officers do not enjoy the "right to privacy" in the pursuit of their duties.

YOU should read up.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 44,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jul 3, 2013

drh681 wrote:

Slider44 wrote:

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

Yes, the pedestrian created this whole situation, and his dog attacked. The police did not attack the dog, the dog attacked them.

Seriously? What did you expect the police to do? Let this man taunt them by video taping them, and then having his dog attack? Do you know the laws on dogs? This dog was clearly not confined or secured? If a dog escapes and attacks, then you are free to defend under any circumstances, including deadly force if necessary.

Uh the "suspect" had put the dog in his car. The dog left the car to go to the "suspect".

Cops violate the law, dog gets killed. The obvious conclusion is to give a medal to the Cop.

What would have happened if they just let the arrested guy, cuffs and all, go over to his dog?

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

drh681
Like?

Slider44 wrote:

When did this happen?

I just searched California law, and police officers CAN BE VIDEO recorded. According to the FEDERAL link below, the laws were challenged and changed in 2011 that allowed public citizens the right to record public servants, including police. Unless they are interfering with the officers. They are not allowed to interfere.

In my opinion, this man was NOT interfering, but clearly looking to stir up trouble.

http://articles.ehlinelaw.com/filming-police-legal-or-not/

http://technorati.com/technology/article/federal-courts-rule-it-is-not/

My opinion of the dog being shot and killed does not change though. When the dog is in public, it MUST be controlled at all times. If it gets loose and attacks, then citizens, or the police can use whatever means necessary to defend themselves.

If you read some of the News links, from MSN, you find that the "suspect" has a long history of "run ins" with the Police. (Including a pending law suit)

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jul 3, 2013

drh681 wrote:

Slider44 wrote:

angrywhtman wrote:

My two cents on this....

Uh, the dog CLEARLY was able to escape and attack.  That does not mean the dog was secured, especially since the window was OPEN.

If you are walking down a street, and a pit bull is chained up in the owners back yard, and gets loose, and attacks and kills.  That homeowner is going to end up filing bankruptcy, because they are going to be owned.

In this situation, the pedestrian was looking to cause trouble, and when he got what he wanted, he paid dearly for it.  Not only was he arrested, but his dog was killed because it escaped the car, and attacked.

End of story.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads