Elinchrom Quadra and lastolite soft box

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
sandibando
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Elinchrom Quadra and lastolite soft box
Jul 2, 2013

Dear friends,

I wish to build a studio in my house for portraiture etc..; I own Nikon D700; I am planning to buy Lastolite ezy soft boxes : 24"X24"; 30"X30"  ... to start with.

.... I plan to move over to Elinchrom studio light later; I found that speed ring accessory comes with each of those Lastolite soft boxes for ELINCHROM QUADRA monolights ....

..I am looking for portability as well ...

Now, My question is ...

1. Does anybody has any experience about Elinchrome Quadra ? .... I went th. the Elinchrom website ... but not sure how to control the light ? ....

2. If I plan to use Elinchrom studio light later any way, do you think it is better go for ELINCHROM SOFT BOX INSTEAD ..... or I can use the SAME Lastolite soft boxes for ELINCHROM studio lights ? ...

Any comments welcome.

sandibando

sandibando's gear list:sandibando's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Nikon D700 +6 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,174Gear list
Like?
Re: Elinchrom Quadra and lastolite soft box
In reply to sandibando, Jul 3, 2013

So in a major quest to find a suitable softbox setup for the Quadra without the El adapter (necessary for the regular Elinchrom Rotalux series) I bought the original Lastolite Elinchom adapter and a 21-inch (or 24-inch pending the measure) Joe McNally version of the Lastolite softbox. In my experience, the softbox is too heavy for that mounting solution and droops. Great if you've got an assistant, no so much if you use a stand.

Lastolite apparently got feedback similar to that because the way the Quadra mounts to the EzyBox II is totally different. There is a difference between the Ezybox and Ezybox II mounting system (just go to the Lastolite site and look at the videos -- it's the easiest way to see the difference. The Ezybox II also allows for mounting big strobes.

I can/will use the Lastolite softbox I bought for the speedlight kit that came with it (it does droop but the speedlight bracket helps alleviate that). Those little metal Lastolite Quadra adapters fit wonderfully in a 12-inch speedlight beauty dish.

I do own bigger Elinchrom lights and have used the Quadra with the EL adapter on Deep Octas but the adapter is so poorly made that it bends (the metal actually bends) with too much torque so I try and avoid that.

The best option I've found for the Quadra heads are the Chimera Octa Plus 2 mounted via an RQ head. Pricey but it works.

Photoflex NXT Extra small Octaganal softboxes on the EL adapter are nice too (and less costly) but I prefer the light produced by the white interior of the Octa Plus 2.

A Westcott Apollo Orb, or any speedlight softbox that puts the head in a rear firing mode by inserting it through a zippered panel works well too (and produces a great soft light). It's actually a less expensive option than any of the others listed.

The Quadra itself is a wonderful manual light. Not quite powerful enough to overpower the noonday sun without something like Hypersync triggered through the Pocket Wizard Flex system, but great for fill and late afternoon/sunset work.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads