Post some night photos!

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Photos
sinkas
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Re: Post some night photos!
In reply to David Kieltyka, Jul 3, 2013

Do you find the EM5 over exposes night shots in "Program"? I normally use a hefty amount of negative exp compensation. Perhaps I should use manual?

Hobart Tasmania Australia

Tasman Bridge Hobart

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
somersetlad
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Wells Cathedral
In reply to John Miles, Jul 3, 2013

somersetlad's gear list:somersetlad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

Swinging safari.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,096Gear list
Like?

Three very different night images.

Vlad

Star trails over San Francisco

Milky Way over Hetch Hetchy reservoir

Berkeley noir

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
bathgate
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Meat Meets Heat

Grilling a beef tri-tip on my deck

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
bathgate
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
In reply to amipal, Jul 3, 2013

Really lovely image.

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,375Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Jul 3, 2013

The light, and the absence of light, is itself the subject. Good stuff.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 3, 2013

Hehe, leaning against benches & other objects works for me. Galen Rowell was a big advocate of this, though he did it mainly for small-aperture, deep DOF photos in daylight. The environment is your tripod.

-Dave-

Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: Several from the E-M5
In reply to jwhphotos, Jul 3, 2013

Hah, I really like these. A few drinks, a bit of relaxing...and humorous photo ops abound.

-Dave-

Atwater
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to sinkas, Jul 3, 2013

sinkas wrote:

Do you find the EM5 over exposes night shots in "Program"? I normally use a hefty amount of negative exp compensation. Perhaps I should use manual?

Generally speaking and in an automatic mode, any camera will attempt to expose a scene to an "average" grey.  It doesn't recognize that a scene is a night shot with deep blacks, nor conversely that a scene might be a snow shot with bright whites.  The camera will attempt in both cases to render the shot toward a medium gray exposure.

Some cameras have "scene modes" such as "Night," "Snow," "Beach," etc. that adjust the exposures accordingly.  But it's better to learn to do it yourself-- as you are doing with the exposure compensation.  I sometimes use Manual, and using it is a good way to learn more about your camera.   I generally shoot Aperture Priority, though, and it's easier/lazier for me to adjust the exposure compensation-- not sure it's the best technique.

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: Seattle Night view from Space Needle
In reply to Jeffrey_Sung, Jul 3, 2013

Cool. I like this sort of twilight photo, where the city lights are coming on but the sky still has color and texture.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to gswpete, Jul 3, 2013

Oooh, I like that one a lot. Good composition & aperture choice. The grainy texture in the OOF background...lovely.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to jcharity, Jul 3, 2013

Terrific! I'm from the Detroit area and have seen many games at Comerica Park (and saw many more as a kid & younger adult at the old Tiger Stadium). There are areas in the city I'd avoid with a tripod at any time of day, but overall IMO the reputation is worse than the reality.

Re. Hockeytown...the very first pro sporting event I ever saw was a Red Wings game at the Olympia. My dad took me to see Gordie Howe play "before he retires." Of course Howe kept playing for at least a couple more decades.    But he scored two goals that night and I was hooked.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to sea_dragon, Jul 3, 2013

Your #2 works great for me!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
In reply to amipal, Jul 3, 2013

Lovely...another photo I'd put on my wall.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: A couple from Hobart last week
In reply to sbszine, Jul 3, 2013

"Spectra" reminds me a bit of the Tribute In Light display in New York, first turned on in March 2002 while I was staying in the City. I have many photos of this, all on film & still waiting to be digitized in decent quality. I should re-photograph a few with my macro rig and post 'em here.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: One from Vancouver BC
In reply to JosephScha, Jul 3, 2013

Lovely...Vancouver is among my favorite cities. I'm planning to visit later this year, in fact!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: Singapore handheld with GF1
In reply to growers, Jul 3, 2013

Love it. Singapore is yet another of my favorite cities...and the only city-state I've ever visited. I've haven't done any decent night photography there but I have done some night video, back in 1997 on the old analog Hi-8 format. Mostly along Orchard Rd., where there's enough light and plenty of people about.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka
Like?
Re: OM-D + Voigtlander 25mm f/.95
In reply to Jim Laurel, Jul 3, 2013

Very nice use of the Voigt 25mm, Jim. How's your Nederlands? I picked up some while living in the Mideast in my early 20s, hanging out with lots of European folks doing their civil service, but I'd need a good refresher nowadays to avoid embarrasing myself in a place like Bonaire.  

-Dave-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads