Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Beautiful images...
In reply to Gaber, Jul 2, 2013

Beautiful images, nice DOF.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D300SandV1shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Like?
Re: Damn Nikon, I need that MACRO lens NOW!

And here's a couple (highish ISO) with the 85mm f/3.5 DX VR on the FT-1 :-

D300SandV1shooter's gear list:D300SandV1shooter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +7 more
Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Why not try a $5 close-up lens?
In reply to IVN, Jul 2, 2013

These are shot handheld using the 30-110mm with the $5 +4 close-up lens which I already posted about:

PC mainboard

Rare Yema diver's watch

Common fly - uuugh! (cropped)

You can also try the +2 and +8 lenses. And I think your 10-30mm kit lens will work even better than my 30-110mm.

You could also use any of Nikon's old MF macro lenses, I just got a splendid 35-135mm Nikon AI zoom lens for about $60.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not try a $5 close-up lens?
In reply to Pangloss, Jul 2, 2013

Pangloss wrote:

These are shot handheld using the 30-110mm with the $5 +4 close-up lens which I already posted about:

PC mainboard

Rare Yema diver's watch

Common fly - uuugh! (cropped)

You can also try the +2 and +8 lenses. And I think your 10-30mm kit lens will work even better than my 30-110mm.

You could also use any of Nikon's old MF macro lenses, I just got a splendid 35-135mm Nikon AI zoom lens for about $60.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Well on reason I would like Nikon to release a say 40mm f2.4 macro is so I can cover macro and portraits with one fast lens, without losing AF capability. AF and the overall speed of the V1 is what made me fall in love with the system in the first place. Using a MF lens would negate that, and using (which I will be doing sooner or later) close-up lenses or achromatic lenses wouldn't help me make the portraits I would also like to make. I've got head and shoulder portraits covered with the the 18.5mm, but sometimes I would like to get even closer without distorting facial features. That's where the longer macro lens would come in.

Pangloss
Like?

IVN wrote:

Well on reason I would like Nikon to release a say 40mm f2.4 macro is so I can cover macro and portraits with one fast lens, without losing AF capability. AF and the overall speed of the V1 is what made me fall in love with the system in the first place. Using a MF lens would negate that, and using (which I will be doing sooner or later) close-up lenses or achromatic lenses wouldn't help me make the portraits I would also like to make. I've got head and shoulder portraits covered with the the 18.5mm, but sometimes I would like to get even closer without distorting facial features. That's where the longer macro lens would come in.

So actually you want an inexpensive 40mm f/2.4 macro lens to shoot mainly portraits and sometimes macros. Do you realize that it's difficult if not impossible to optimize a lens for both these types of photography? For macro work you would be using a small aperture like f/5.6 or even f/8.0 with adequate light. For portraits you want a very large aperture (f/1.8~f/1.2), f/2.4 is just too slow with a 1" sensor, your portrait shots would lack proper subject separation.

And, Nikon already has a close-up add-on lens for the Nikon 1 system (the N1-CL1) in case you don't want to try the $5 "made in China" close-up lens which I have tested, and they have a superb portrait lens, the 32mm f/1.2.

So they have already solved your lens needs.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
Gaber
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,523
Like?
In reply to D300SandV1shooter, Jul 2, 2013

Nice ones D300, although harsh sunlight.

IVN
IVN
Like?

Pangloss wrote:

IVN wrote:

So actually you want an inexpensive 40mm f/2.4 macro lens to shoot mainly portraits and sometimes macros.

No. More like 50:50.

Do you realize that it's difficult if not impossible to optimize a lens for both these types of photography? For macro work you would be using a small aperture like f/5.6 or even f/8.0 with adequate light. For portraits you want a very large aperture (f/1.8~f/1.2), f/2.4 is just too slow with a 1" sensor, your portrait shots would lack proper subject separation.

And, Nikon already has a close-up add-on lens for the Nikon 1 system (the N1-CL1) in case you don't want to try the $5 "made in China" close-up lens which I have tested, and they have a superb portrait lens, the 32mm f/1.2.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The 105mm Macro for FX is a perfect example of a lens that can be used for both macro and portraiture. And why would I buy a costly portrait-only lens, plus a close-up lens, when one of the main advantages of the Nikon 1 system is its size and portability? In my mind, that makes little sense. I prefer one lens to cover both of these needs. And f2.4 or 2.8 should be sufficient. One can achieve good bokeh with the slightly faster (not even one full stop) 18.5mm, it should be no problem with the much longer 35-40mm macro.

So they have already solved your lens needs.

No system is complete without a native macro lens. And no, adapted F mount lenses are not native to the N1 system. They are a compromise. Only central AF point and the need for an adapter, which in addition to the much larger lenses (designed for much larger image circles) is far from ideal. I bet that a native macro lens would not only be 2-3 times smaller (vs. FT1 + DX/FX micro Nikkors), but also faster in regards to AF and blow the DX/FX micro Nikkors regarding IQ out of the water.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

D300SandV1shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Like?

Gaber wrote:

Nice ones D300, although harsh sunlight.

Thanks - sunlight not an issue recently, and no need to 'mist' your subject in an English 'summer'!

D300SandV1shooter's gear list:D300SandV1shooter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +7 more
Pangloss
Like?

As marike6 wrote above, it's quite probable that Nikon will come out with a macro lens for the 1 system sooner or later. I just don't think it's their priority right now, and you seem to be in a hurry.

I among other people here in this thread, have suggested you use an add-on lens for macro work in the meantime, but your argument for not even trying a $5 add-on lens is that you want the macro lens to double as a portrait lens.

And your argument for not using the excellent 32mm f/1.2 lens for portraits - available now, btw - is that it's too expensive.

When I tried to explain to you that you are asking for a lens optimized for two completely different purposes and with somewhat contradictory optical constraints, you mention the macro 105mm lens on FX as being an example of a macro lens that can also be used for portraits. That's a little bit far fetched, since the 1" sensor imposes completely different constraints on lens design compared to an FX sensor. You can't just "scale down" a lens like that.

Also finally that lens costs $900 at Adorama i.e. the same price as the 32mm f/1.2! http://www.adorama.com/NK10528AFVRU.html

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

IVN
IVN
Like?

Pangloss wrote:

As marike6 wrote above, it's quite probable that Nikon will come out with a macro lens for the 1 system sooner or later. I just don't think it's their priority right now, and you seem to be in a hurry.

I among other people here in this thread, have suggested you use an add-on lens for macro work in the meantime, but your argument for not even trying a $5 add-on lens is that you want the macro lens to double as a portrait lens.

Read my first post, I was already thinking about getting an achromatic lens, even before you or others have mentioned the possibility.

I am, however, a fan of tools that can be used for multiple different purposes. That makes my bag smaller, lighter and easier to lug all day long.

And your argument for not using the excellent 32mm f/1.2 lens for portraits - available now, btw - is that it's too expensive.

When I tried to explain to you that you are asking for a lens optimized for two completely different purposes and with somewhat contradictory optical constraints, you mention the macro 105mm lens on FX as being an example of a macro lens that can also be used for portraits. That's a little bit far fetched, since the 1" sensor imposes completely different constraints on lens design compared to an FX sensor. You can't just "scale down" a lens like that.

And why not? Did you look at my portrait set on flickr? There are some images shot with the 18.5mm that display quite nice bokeh in my opinion.  A 35-40mm f2.4 with its longer focal length and closer distance to the subject (face-only instead of head plus shoulders) should display even smoother bokeh.

Every telephoto macro I have ever tried (regardless the format) is good for both macro and portraiture. Similar example to the 30-40mm f2.4 would be the 60mm Olympus macro for mFT. Sharp, good for macro, good for portraiture and still quite affordable.

It is possible to make a macro lens good for both macro and portraiture for the N1 system. It would probably be half or 2/3 the price of the 32mm f1.2.

Also finally that lens costs $900 at Adorama i.e. the same price as the 32mm f/1.2! http://www.adorama.com/NK10528AFVRU.html

It also covers a much larger image circle and is indisputably much harder to make. The 105mm for FX is priced fairly, the 32mm f1.2 although nice and fast is too costly. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me that Nikon is either looking to earn more money with the 32mm, or that the lens is costly to make due to lower quantities. Either way, I find the price to be too much.

This is my personal assessment. Since I am no SunnyFlorida, you won't be seeing me insulting people ("uneducated consumer") for buying and using the 32mm. I find it quite nice myself, but the price is high.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Gaber
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,523
Like?
In reply to D300SandV1shooter, Jul 2, 2013

Thanks - sunlight not an issue recently, and no need to 'mist' your subject in an English 'summer'!

Sweet. I prefer my macros without flash or harsh sun but sometimes you have to take what you're presented with. Mist is always a plus. You're so lucky to have that "horrible" English weather (lol).

Allan Ostling
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
Re: I have good luck with the Leitz ELPRO achromats
In reply to bgD300, Jul 6, 2013

I have a draw full of achromats, usually bought on eBay for less than $20. The Elpros are great. I use an Elpro VIb attached to my 18.5mm f1.8 with a 40.5mm-to-Series VI step-up ring, which is hard to find.

Here is a list of other achromats: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

-- hide signature --

Allan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads