Unfortunately, but it's a failure.

Started Jul 1, 2013 | User reviews
Mr Slim
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Unfortunately, but it's a failure.
Jul 1, 2013

I've bought this cam from Japan in March to be prepared for the Summer 2013 beach season. I'm in the middle of the season now, but the camera is dead already.

My previous pocket camera was Panasonic DMC-ZS3. I was taking that camera with me everywhere for the last 3 years. It had issues, that made me thinking about buying something more reliable. Panasonic's rugged cameras were rejected due to their weak sides, so I have decided to be the owner of Pentax's WG-2 GPS camera.

At first -- the picture was poor, not even half-decent. It's poor. Even my friends have admitted that.

The next -- battery and sd card door design was poor too. Metal door part got rusty after the second use. Rusty sediment was too obvious on the white plastic parts around the door. The door itself looked too lousy. There were traces of humidity on the lens glass from the inside.

That's it. After 2 month and 16 days of owning this camera it has swallowed some water, being in my pocket while I was riding a bicycle under the heavy shower rain. That was the last picture taken with that camera -- my girlfriend, riding a bike under that rain.

It has never been deeper than 2 meters. It has been in the water for 2 hours a few times only. 99% of it's lifetime it was in my pocket as a point-and-shoot camera at work. In a dry environment.

I don't have any claims to the pentax regarding this, but not going to buy from pentax anymore.

PS: Battery life was poor too.

Pentax WG-2 GPS camera is not reliable at all. Avoid it!

The last picture taken

Mr Slim's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
awful
Action / sports
awful
Landscapes / scenery
bad
Portraits
bad
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
bad
Studio / still life
awful
= community average
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Re: Unfortunately, but it's a failure.
In reply to Mr Slim, Jul 1, 2013

Do you mean WG-3 GPS?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
In reply to Mr Slim, Jul 3, 2013

That's no good, is it? Defeats the whole point of these cameras.

I assume the rust is from salt water? What's the procedure with using any waterproof cameras, do you rinse under fresh water after being in the ocean?

Taffy
Taffy MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,433
Like?
In reply to Mr Slim, Jul 3, 2013

Mr Slim wrote:

I've bought this cam from Japan in March to be prepared for the Summer 2013 beach season. I'm in the middle of the season now, but the camera is dead already.

My previous pocket camera was Panasonic DMC-ZS3. I was taking that camera with me everywhere for the last 3 years. It had issues, that made me thinking about buying something more reliable. Panasonic's rugged cameras were rejected due to their weak sides, so I have decided to be the owner of Pentax's WG-2 GPS camera.

At first -- the picture was poor, not even half-decent. It's poor. Even my friends have admitted that.

The next -- battery and sd card door design was poor too. Metal door part got rusty after the second use. Rusty sediment was too obvious on the white plastic parts around the door. The door itself looked too lousy. There were traces of humidity on the lens glass from the inside.

That's it. After 2 month and 16 days of owning this camera it has swallowed some water, being in my pocket while I was riding a bicycle under the heavy shower rain. That was the last picture taken with that camera -- my girlfriend, riding a bike under that rain.

It has never been deeper than 2 meters. It has been in the water for 2 hours a few times only. 99% of it's lifetime it was in my pocket as a point-and-shoot camera at work. In a dry environment.

Read the specification of this camera here on this site, nowhere does it state that this camera should be taken UNDERWATER. It is evirionmentally sealed, not made for use under water. See the link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/07/Pentax_Optio_WG-2_WG-2_GPS#specs

I don't have any claims to the pentax regarding this, but not going to buy from pentax anymore.

PS: Battery life was poor too.

Pentax WG-2 GPS camera is not reliable at all. Avoid it!

The last picture taken

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
In reply to Taffy, Jul 3, 2013

Taffy wrote:

Read the specification of this camera here on this site, nowhere does it state that this camera should be taken UNDERWATER. It is evirionmentally sealed, not made for use under water. See the link below.

The official Pentax announcement says it is:

• Waterproof to depths of 40 feet.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/07/Pentax_Optio_WG-2_WG-2_GPS

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Jul 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was WG-2 GPS, not WG-3 GPS.

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Jul 4, 2013

The rust is obviously from the wrong metal type Pentax used for a camera parts that are going to be exposed to a salt water. I have my Nautica cap for 2 years that has a stain resistant metal buckle.

Yes, I was de-salting it after use the same way I do it with all my gears: boat, trailer, outboard engine, life vests. I use a karcher carwash for that.

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to Taffy, Jul 4, 2013

Thank you. I don't need this source of information anymore -- my Pentax is dead already. I'm sharing my experience with anyone who is planning to spend money on a Pentax products. My message is -- think twice before buying Pentax.

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Jul 4, 2013

Correct. It is even imprinted on the LCD glass surface - "waterproof 40ft / 12m"

But it wasn't a good camera even without this rust and leaking issue. Picture quality was not good at all.

DNScott
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Slim, Jul 5, 2013

The camera is still under warranty, send it back to Pentax for repair if it is defective.  Did you read the precautions in the owner's manual before using the camera. Salt water will rust 304 stainless steel.  All underwater photo equipment used in salt water needs to be rinsed off with fresh water after use, this also applies to scuba equipment too.

DNScott's gear list:DNScott's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-3
Abbazz
Contributing MemberPosts: 620
Like?
In reply to Mr Slim, Jul 9, 2013

Mr Slim wrote:

Yes, I was de-salting it after use the same way I do it with all my gears: boat, trailer, outboard engine, life vests. I use a karcher carwash for that.

A Kärcher carwash is a high pressure water cleaner, deliivering water pressure between 5,000 to 10,000 psi. The Pentax Optio WG2-GPS is designed to withstand a underwater dive up to 12m, corresponding to a water pressure of 17.4 psi...

I am afraid it's your high pressure de-salting that killed the Pentax!

Cheers!

Abbazz

-- hide signature --

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource: http://artbig.com/
http://artbig.com/broch1b.jpg

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to Abbazz, 10 months ago

Abbazz wrote:

A Kärcher carwash is a high pressure water cleaner, deliivering water pressure between 5,000 to 10,000 psi. The Pentax Optio WG2-GPS is designed to withstand a underwater dive up to 12m, corresponding to a water pressure of 17.4 psi...

I am afraid it's your high pressure de-salting that killed the Pentax!

Hey Abbazz, my Karcher has a changing pressure sprayer. I was using a shower mode only.

I like your guess anyway )))

Mr Slim
Like?
In reply to DNScott, 10 months ago

DNScott wrote:

The camera is still under warranty, send it back to Pentax for repair if it is defective. Did you read the precautions in the owner's manual before using the camera. Salt water will rust 304 stainless steel. All underwater photo equipment used in salt water needs to be rinsed off with fresh water after use, this also applies to scuba equipment too.

Send back to Japan? Are you kidding me?

As I said, I don't want to use it anymore. I could fix it locally, but the picture quality is too poor even for a water camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads