Oh deer! S2 with sonnar

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
Jun 30, 2013

Hi

Hottest day of the year today, so I spent some time in the park chasing animals!

A couple of things:

1) I tried to show how nature and the city coexist in a place like London through my compositions. I think some people may find it interesting...

2) All shots with S2 and the 150 f2.8 Hasselblad Zeiss Sonar lens. I got this lens for about £300 and I think it is a bargain. I am still learning it but I really like how it renders...

Here they are (as always please click on images to see the larger versions) :

The males (mostly)

The kids

The alpha male!

Thanks, D

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 7,030
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Hi

Hottest day of the year today, so I spent some time in the park chasing animals!

A couple of things:

1) I tried to show how nature and the city coexist in a place like London through my compositions. I think some people may find it interesting...

2) All shots with S2 and the 150 f2.8 Hasselblad Zeiss Sonar lens. I got this lens for about £300 and I think it is a bargain. I am still learning it but I really like how it renders...

Here they are (as always please click on images to see the larger versions) :


The males (mostly)

The kids


The alpha male!

Thanks, D

I like all three but I like this one the best. The deer are beautifully grouped and all looking forward. You still have the urban skyline in the background but it is receding from importance here. Its almost as if the deer are truning thier backs on urbania. Lovely work

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
janlu
Senior MemberPosts: 6,551
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Very nice work D .....

But this one is great to me in composition..... a very sensitive and brilliant urban-nature view !

Bravo !!

Best, Gianluca

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NalaKing
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

Which city is this? You don't often see wildlife with buildings as background. Absolutely WONDERFUL !!

 NalaKing's gear list:NalaKing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to NalaKing, Jun 30, 2013

NalaKing wrote:

Which city is this? You don't often see wildlife with buildings as background. Absolutely WONDERFUL !!

Thank you for your comment. This is London!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to bosjohn21, Jun 30, 2013

I like all three but I like this one the best. The deer are beautifully grouped and all looking forward. You still have the urban skyline in the background but it is receding from importance here. Its almost as if the deer are truning thier backs on urbania. Lovely work

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Thank you John. I had to crawl very slowly to get close to them so I can catch this moment. I was a bit scared because deer in this season can be unpredictable and their mothers were looking at me with a suspicious eye.. What was funny is that I had 10-20 people behind me using mobile phones to get a similar picture... I may have overdone it with my military type crawling!

D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to janlu, Jun 30, 2013

janlu wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Very nice work D .....

But this one is great to me in composition..... a very sensitive and brilliant urban-nature view !

Bravo !!

Thank you Gianluca, I am happy you liked my composition. Even now, I still can not believe how amazing some places in London can be.

D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

Excellent, your findings are consistent with my S and Zeiss lenses, such as the 150 mm.

The Leica 180 is much heavier, and I had bought the Contax 645 with the 3 standard lenses last year and I am very happy that I got the S to C adaptor.

You do impressive work !

 Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Excellent, your findings are consistent with my S and Zeiss lenses, such as the 150 mm.

The Leica 180 is much heavier, and I had bought the Contax 645 with the 3 standard lenses last year and I am very happy that I got the S to C adaptor.

You do impressive work !

Hi Dr Rohde,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Which other Zeiss lenses did you like on the S2?

Thanks, D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

practically all, and see your e-mail !  Good evening ! I have all the Leica lenses, they are simply better,  I like the Vario very much

 Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

practically all, and see your e-mail ! Good evening ! I have all the Leica lenses, they are simply better, I like the Vario very much

Got it, thank you!

I agree, the Leica lenses are on a different level but they also cost a LOT more!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 2,300Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

Nicely done.

 JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,515Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Jun 30, 2013

D, these are beautifully framed, but on my monitor, the colors are a little too soft!... Is it in purpose?

very best,

 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to l_objectif, Jun 30, 2013

l_objectif wrote:

D, these are beautifully framed, but on my monitor, the colors are a little too soft!... Is it in purpose?

very best,

Thanks Louis, the S2 tends to output soft colour when used with LR4, but in this case I have actually increased the saturation a bit, so to me they look ok. I did not really wanted to oversaturate the colours in this case but I thought I kept them ok (there was quite a lot of sun! YOu could call it an X-vario day today! ).

How is this looking?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to JDLaing, Jun 30, 2013

JDLaing wrote:

Nicely done.

Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel74
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to bosjohn21, Jul 1, 2013

I really like this set, D. The first one is probably my favourite but they go together as a set. Well done!!!

 Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Schneider PC-Super-Angulon 28mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
khaw
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Re: Oh deer! S2 with sonnar
In reply to Daedalus2000, Aug 1, 2013

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Hi

Hottest day of the year today, so I spent some time in the park chasing animals!

A couple of things:

1) I tried to show how nature and the city coexist in a place like London through my compositions. I think some people may find it interesting...

2) All shots with S2 and the 150 f2.8 Hasselblad Zeiss Sonar lens. I got this lens for about £300 and I think it is a bargain. I am still learning it but I really like how it renders...

Here they are (as always please click on images to see the larger versions) :

The males (mostly)

The kids

The alpha male!

Thanks, D

Interesting scenario.  Terrific shots!

So different from the last thread you started.

Thanks, Karl-Heinz.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads