which camera backpack has the most space other than camera compartment

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Questions
new type
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
which camera backpack has the most space other than camera compartment
Jun 30, 2013

Most camera bag out there has little space or no space other than camera compartment

I find that quite inconvenient for travel or going hiking. I want a backpack has overall 35-45 liter big and able to hold 1 camera with vertical grip, 3-4medium size lens, side access would be better. I tried normal backpack with camera insert, but then I have to go through everything above the camera insert just to get the camera or changing lens.

And i also find all the weight (lenses and camera) at the bottom part of the backpack not very comfortable.

Does backpack like that exists?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Re: which camera backpack has the most space other than camera compartment
In reply to new type, Jun 30, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
new type
Like?
In reply to alFR, Jul 1, 2013

thank you, I have looked f stop, camera compartment still takes too much space. I don't take more than 3-4 medium size (about tamron 28-75 2.8 size) lenses.

I have looked at Clik Elite Obscura, like the design. The marsupial pouch compress down to nothing with no lens in. But the camera compartment is too small for camera with vertical grip.

imagethemomentstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
In reply to new type, Jul 1, 2013

http://www.lowepro.com/rover-pro-aw

is worth a look  proper outdoor bag with a nice trampoline suspension harness.

can hold a pro body with a few lens

have 45l and is perfect

any questions just ask

imagethemomentstudios's gear list:imagethemomentstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?

new type wrote:

thank you, I have looked f stop, camera compartment still takes too much space.

Really? From the product workbook it looks like the Tilopa (48l) has a load of space left around a medium pro ICU (which I think will fit all the camera gear you describe), but I guess it depends on how much other gear you need to carry.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,070Gear list
Like?

new type wrote:

Most camera bag out there has little space or no space other than camera compartment

I find that quite inconvenient for travel or going hiking. I want a backpack has overall 35-45 liter big and able to hold 1 camera with vertical grip, 3-4medium size lens, side access would be better. I tried normal backpack with camera insert, but then I have to go through everything above the camera insert just to get the camera or changing lens.

And i also find all the weight (lenses and camera) at the bottom part of the backpack not very comfortable.

Does backpack like that exists?

There are several excellent adventure backpacks out there. In the 35-45L range, there is the f-stop series, as has been mentioned, but they're not side entry. However, the camera compartment size is adjustable by selecting the correct ICU for your camera kit. Lowe has come out with the Pro Rover series - nice bags, but similar to the f-stop and most other adventure backpacks in that they're designed to get you to the location, not shoot on the move. Click Elite makes a few packs with side entry. The Obscura is only 30 L and is actually rather inefficient in its storage methodology, but it does distribute the heavy items all along your back, a good thing for a pack with really no internal frame to speak of. It's pretty floppy. But it's quite popular if you carry a small-body camera and a small lens kit. For your purposes, the Contrejour series are the better packs. They do have a side entry for on-the-go shooting as well as back panel access, and they have real internal frames for carrying heavy loads. With a good suspension the fact that the camera gear is carried low is not that much of an issue.

ThinkTankPhoto's new spinoff, Mindshift Gear, has just introduced the Rotation 180, a fabulous 38L bag designed to be worked out of without ever having to take the pack off. It has a waistbelt bag that rotates to the front and a highly configurable upper compartment that will hold about 26L.

You might want to actually measure the volume of your total kit, as organized, with dividers, etc. You might be surprised to find that it consumes well over 10L - more likely close to 15. That makes it very difficult to create a 35-45L bag with a decent amount of hiking essentials space.

A word about side entry - it sounds great, but doesn't always work in practice. The Obscura, Contrejour, and the LowePro PhotoSport 200AW and ProSport 30 all have fairly simple side access compartments that extend all the way across the bag. When you start stacking kit items above or below the camera and lens on one side the load rapidly becomes unbalanced, and you run the risk of a lens falling out when you open the portal to access the camera (it's happened to me). Therefore, there's a reason why these manufacturers have designed these features more as holsters than full access compartments. The swing-to-front idea sounds cool, too, but it can be cumbersome and definitely becomes unworkable if the bag is too thick or too-high capacity. A few of these designs can be accessed in a reach-back sort of way reasonably.

With regards to loading the camera equipment in the bottom - if you're properly loading the bag - water and reasonably heavy items close to the back and higher up, bulky lighter weight things towards the outside - the problem you mention goes away. If your bag has a good suspension. Many don't.

Finally, you can roll your own.  I use a Lowe Alpine Airzone Quest 27L for my small kit.  This bag has an excellent trampoline suspension and a side access portal into which you can shove a holster bag or camera insert.  For your needs, the Airzone Pro 45L would be better.  I find the suspension on this series of bags worlds superior to almost all of the photo adventure bags I've tried.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
azzie
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jul 1, 2013

I recently ordered http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738256-REG/Clik_Elite_CE610BU_Contrejour_40_Backpack.html

I haven't revieved it so I can't really recommend it, but it does look promising.

azzie's gear list:azzie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi +1 more
new type
Like?
In reply to azzie, Jul 2, 2013

thank you, i actually did look at lowe alpine airzone centro years ago. it's got side entry. I have seen people putting camera insert. I did go to shop to try it out. But the side opening is too big and lenses could accidentally fall off easily when switching lens.

just look at the pictures

www[dot]dchome[dot]net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=890387&extra=&page=1

replace [dot] with .

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to new type, Jul 2, 2013

f-stop backpacks have interchangeable camera inserts. You can get them in sizes from "EVIL kit" to "holds 600mm f/4 and a bunch of other stuff". Camera inserts are held down by loops within the pack. Access is from the back, which means that your gear is safe from thieves, but that you aren't able to get at it without putting the pack down.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
62L Satori with 11 L camera insert has enough room for weekend camping
In reply to NancyP, Jul 2, 2013

Contents: 1 solo tent, 1 blow-up pad, 1 sleeping bag, 1 sleeping bag liner, 1 pot, 1 water purification filter, 1 mini-stove for solid fuel ("Esbit"), "10 essentials" stuff, 1 raincoat, 1 spare shirt / 1 compression shorts for sleeping and for dryness, spare socks, food. Tripod strapped to the back. 3 750ml water bottles hung off hip belt with biners.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
new type
Like?
Re: 62L Satori with 11 L camera insert has enough room for weekend camping
In reply to NancyP, Jul 3, 2013

62l is a bit too much for me.

And how do you tell if a backpack has internal frame? If it's hard, it's got a frame?

new type
Like?
Re: 62L Satori with 11 L camera insert has enough room for weekend camping
In reply to new type, Jul 6, 2013

to mosswings if you are still watching this

I went to shop to check out this lowe alpine you mentioned. The side opening doesn't open all the way up only goes half way

could you post a picture of how you put camera insert in the bag and where you put your lenses.

And one more question , the packs' back is rigid but for most non camera backpack the front is not. And if you were to attach tripod and the front is soft, wouldn't the tripod move left and right on your back?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads