Former D300 user, where to go now?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Questions
KyrreTamber
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Former D300 user, where to go now?
Jun 30, 2013

I sold my D300 a couple of years ago, and with two seasons with a Sony Nex-5N ruining my interest in taking pictures, I am now ready to buy a dSLR again.

The most obvious candidate now is the D7100 or maybe the D600, but for other users taking this step in either direction, will it be a good way to go?

Will the D7100 feel like a downgrade from the D300 in look and feel?

Will the D600 feel like an upgrade or downgrade?

ANSWER:
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935Gear list
Like?
Re: Former D300 user, where to go now?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jun 30, 2013

Assuming you have no lenses anymore and you are free to jump in wherever, either the 7100 or 600 would be great choices.

I suspect they will feel a little worse to you.  I don't know how important that is to you.  You should at least go to a shop that carries them and allows you to handle them.

If that seems unacceptable to you, three cameras to consider would be used D700, used D3 and D800

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Samsung NX1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,848Gear list
Like?

KyrreTamber wrote:

I sold my D300 a couple of years ago, and with two seasons with a Sony Nex-5N ruining my interest in taking pictures, I am now ready to buy a dSLR again.

The most obvious candidate now is the D7100 or maybe the D600, but for other users taking this step in either direction, will it be a good way to go?

I would just go get another D300.

Prices on one in good condition are

very reasonable now.

Same goes for pre-owned DX lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Skiies
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Jun 30, 2013

Well I moved from a d300 to d7100 and have been really pleased with the camera. I am able to get shots that are simple not possible on my d300 (f1.8, 1/40 sec, ISO 3200). It was absolutely the right decision for me and is a better camera for me personally. I shoot RAW and have had no problems with buffering but then I do not shoot more than 4-5 shots at a time, no BIF!! DOTR maybe but thats another story!

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533
Like?
Greatly depends on your subjects, lighting, etc.

Welcome "back".

You would get much more targeted, focused feedback if you tell us about your subjects, lighting and budget.

Wayne

KyrreTamber
Like?
Re: Greatly depends on your subjects, lighting, etc.
In reply to dwa1, Jun 30, 2013

dwa1 wrote:

Welcome "back".

You would get much more targeted, focused feedback if you tell us about your subjects, lighting and budget.

Wayne

Thanks

I mostly shoot (in volume) pictures of my kids and family on our trips around the world, but when it is not documenting them that is the goal I shoot some macro, some architecture and landskape. I do not shoot organized portraits, only pictures "in action". I like using natural lights as much as possible.

Since we are going to Florida (I live in Norway by the way) in a couple of weeks my first plan was to buy the D7100 with the 18-200 or 18-300 to have a able and willing setup to document this trip with disney parks and everything. But then I started looking around and started doubting.

With Norwegian high prices my budget would be in the area of the D7100 plus 18-300 and a GP-1a with a couple of memory cards and a spare battery. For the same price I would get a D600 with a simpler optic or maybe an used D700 or D3 of some kind I would guess. I could buy the camera in Florida as well, but then I would loose the Norwegian warranty (3-5 years included). Buying a D600 would probably be cheaper in the US, but actually for the D7100 there are only like $100 to save and loose the warranty.

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,111Gear list
Like?

dwa1 wrote:

Welcome "back".

Agreed.  For example, if you want very high image quality for landscapes, macro, fine-art photogrpahy or whatever, or you need to enlarge to very large print sizes (greater than A1 / 33 x 24 inches) you might go for D800 or D600.

If you liked the semi-pro body of the D300, then your choice is a D800, a D300s or a second-hand D700.

If you want high-speed action stuff and need the highest possible continuous frame rate of up to 8 frames per second then it's D700 or D300s (with a battery grip for highest continuous speed).  The other cameras mentioned have maximum frame rates of 4-6 fps, which action shooters maintain is hopelessly slow.  (You can tell I'm not an action shooter.)

If you want low-light photography, it's D800, D600 or (not quite so good in this respect) D7100.

Then you've got to choose lenses...

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,331Gear list
Like?

KyrreTamber wrote:

Because there is no real successor, there is nowhere to go from a D300!

But depending on your requirements, if you want to stay with DX, there is the D7100, which has a much improved sensor but lacks the build, the frame rate, and only uses SD cards.  If you want to go FX, there is the D800. You lose the frame rate. You may need longer lenses than planned because you lose the 1.5 factor. You can shoot in DX mode, but need to adapt to the quirky DX mode viewfinder.

In both cases, you gain in ISO and low-light capabilities.

In my case, I decided to stay put until Nikon comes to their senses.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
dwa1
Like?

KyrreTamber wrote:

dwa1 wrote:

Welcome "back".

Wayne

Thanks

I mostly shoot (in volume) pictures of my kids and family on our trips around the world, but when it is not documenting them that is the goal I shoot some macro, some architecture and landskape. I do not shoot organized portraits, only pictures "in action". I like using natural lights as much as possible.

Since we are going to Florida (I live in Norway by the way) in a couple of weeks my first plan was to buy the D7100 with the 18-200 or 18-300 to have a able and willing setup to document this trip with disney parks and everything. But then I started looking around and started doubting.

With Norwegian high prices my budget would be in the area of the D7100 plus 18-300 and a GP-1a with a couple of memory cards and a spare battery. For the same price I would get a D600 with a simpler optic or maybe an used D700 or D3 of some kind I would guess. I could buy the camera in Florida as well, but then I would loose the Norwegian warranty (3-5 years included). Buying a D600 would probably be cheaper in the US, but actually for the D7100 there are only like $100 to save and loose the warranty.

In addition to what Simon G. stated, you may want to consider a used D300 (perhaps you still have some media cards) - then put the money in glass (since glass is still "king"). A used D700 will give you excellent low light (indoor family shots) - but they are still a little pricey. A used D300s may also be a good option too as you would get CF and SD card slots so you can utilize any existing media cards.

For the big round viewfinders... D700 and above (not D600 or any DX). Whatever body you decide on I would highly recommend that it has the AF Fine Tune feature.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

KyrreTamber
Like?

In other words I should really look into the possibility to buy a used D700 with low milage and rather spent some money on optics?

Video is not important at all to me, but having the right feeling is really important.

I will pop into a big shop in Oslo this week and get some look and feel. Maybe let the sales rep recommend me a Canon as well just to make sure that Nikon is the thing for me  

dwa1
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 1, 2013

KyrreTamber wrote:

In other words I should really look into the possibility to buy a used D700 with low milage and rather spent some money on optics?

Video is not important at all to me, but having the right feeling is really important.

I will pop into a big shop in Oslo this week and get some look and feel. Maybe let the sales rep recommend me a Canon as well just to make sure that Nikon is the thing for me  

Just for clarification... the AF Fine Tune feature is on the D300, D300s, D7100, D700 and above (other FX bodies).

A used D300 would give you more $$$ for better lenses.

Wayne

ForeignerOnEarth
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 1, 2013

I have D300 for 6 years. I waited for D400. I bought D7100 as the temporary solution for the landscape, because 24MPx without AA filter is the big step from 12MPx with AA filter.

Now I use D7100 for all situations and D300 is the pure backup body. I do not know any practical advantage of D300 against D7100. I am surprised, but no problem with D7100 after 6 years with D300.

ForeignerOnEarth's gear list:ForeignerOnEarth's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Skiies
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to ForeignerOnEarth, Jul 1, 2013

totally agree. The D7100 continues to truly impress me.

KyrreTamber
Like?
In reply to ForeignerOnEarth, Jul 1, 2013

I went to the store today to have a feel for both the cameras. The size and shape is so identical that they felt just as good (or bad) to hold. I have large hands, so the D200 and D300 suited me fine. The store manager adviced me to go for the D7100.

I have a D600 with a Sigma 24-17 on hand for a good price (approx the same as a D7100 plus a nikon 18-300) so I have to decide tomorrow I guess. With the D600 I would have to buy a telezoom like a 70-200 and I will not get a Nikon 2.8 within the budget, maybe a Sigma or Tamron with the lack of focus speed.

This is difficult, I must say But it seems I cannot go wrong anyhow.

Apolooza
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 2, 2013

I think an important factor for you may be "trips around the world".  How much does size and weight of equipment mean for you?  The 18-200 or equivalent is a great travel lens

-- hide signature --
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,975
Like?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, Jul 3, 2013

My personal preferrance would have to be the D3

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

KyrreTamber
Like?
In reply to Apolooza, Jul 3, 2013

Apolooza wrote:

I think an important factor for you may be "trips around the world". How much does size and weight of equipment mean for you? The 18-200 or equivalent is a great travel lens

I made this count the most as well, and went out ant bought the D7100 with the 18-300. I will probably invest in some primes in time, a macro/micro, a flash and some other equipment. For now and this summer-trip it is the best combo.

Thanks for all the help in the process

dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 6, 2013

I recently got a D600 and I am very happy with it.  The 7100 had not come out yet.  I went with the 600 after renting one for a day.  I found that I was shooting less sports and more family and friends. I wanted a camera that would perform better indoors with natural light, have more DR, and allow me to make better use of a 85 f 1.4 lens for the times I want a narrow DoF.  The D600 works fine for these items.  I also find that I really like the results with the kit lens.  I hope to eventually get a 24-70 f 2.8 but for now I am getting most of the results I want in the range with the kit lens.

I still have the D300 and use it a lot.  Just not indoors or for family shots in the back yard.  As my nephew gets older I'm sure I be shooting more sports and want the reach that comes with DX.  You can shoot the 600 in DX mode and have almost as many pixels on subject as a D200, but the auto focus array is a bit limiting when used in DX mode.

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 9, 2013

Answer seems simple:

more fun = D7100

more work = D800

John Cerra2
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to KyrreTamber, Jul 10, 2013

KyrreTamber wrote:

There are reasons to be unhappy with the D600.  They lifted the autofocus from the D7000. The shutter leaks oil on the sensor, requiring cleaning.  But as an imaging machine, it is a beast that leaves my D300s and Nex5 in the dust.  Really, it is haed to oversell the camera, except for those issues. I shot 8000 exposuress, mostly at iso 3200, of a top 25 nationally ranked bteams hoops team. Routinely had prints made at 24x36 inches with no evidence of noise.

John

I

Currently shooting aD300s, a D200, D70 and N50. Have a 'F.'
Also shooting with Konica 35mm SLRS (T3 and FT-1) with numerous Hexanon Lenses. Printer: Canon i9900.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads