I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,240Gear list
Re: Nikon J1 + 10-30mm for $199
In reply to Henry Richardson, Jul 3, 2013

Henry Richardson wrote:

I got a Rakuten/Buy.com email this morning that had the Nikon J1 + 10-30mm for $199.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

The close-out price for ILC's makes the asking price for new models unrealistic.

David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,334

Henry Richardson wrote:

I got a Rakuten/Buy.com email this morning that had the Nikon J1 + 10-30mm for $199.

Thanks for the tip.  I think the low price of the J1 is too good to pass up.

Does the J1 do good b&w in camera?  I really like doing b&w (in camera) with my LX3.

David Banner

Henry Richardson wrote:

I just searched there and it's over $300. I don't see the $199 price. Do you have a link?

http://www.rakuten.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?qu=NIkon+J1

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,434Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to yslee1, Jul 3, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

If you want to use manual focus only.

If you want to use AF then the Nikon V1 is a far superior option because of the availability of affordable, quality, f2.8 zooming AF lenses. You cannot get that with µ4/3.

What affordable f/2.8 zoom lenses are there for the V1? Last I checked, they're all consumer zooms with f/3.5-5.6 variable apertures.

I should have included "when using the FT-1 adaptor."

The 17-55 f2.8, which is a DX (or APS-C) lens will cover most, but not all, bases. It's a sharp lens with great contrast, even wide open. On the V series it will be a 51-148 f2.8 or thereabouts. You can get them used in excellent condition for $600-700.

The FT-1 is around $200 and a recent firmware upgarde now allows AF-C.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

David Banner
I got to try several out today..
In reply to howardfuhrman, Jul 3, 2013

howardfuhrman wrote:

David,

One alternative to either of the two system that you are considering is either and LX7 or Sony RX100 (or the new RX100 II). Since you are retaining your Nikon 300 and replacing it, why not get something that is very small that is capable of taking excellent photos. Both of my suggestions are less money than the two systems that you are considering.

Hi Howard.  I got to go to a shop today and I held the different cameras.  It was very interesting.  Here's some random thoughts:

The J1 seems very small.  Which is good until I saw the 10-100 lens.  that thing is huge.  bigger than the m4/3 equivalent.  I can't imagine the J1 with the 10-100.  and I think the point about not having a viewfinder is a good one.

The V2 was very  nice.  not much bigger than J1 but you get a viewfinder and better grip.  would be nice for the big 10-100.

I'm not sure I'd get the 10-100.  it's just not as portable as I like.  it's lighter than my nikon & 18-200 but not very compact.

The Panasonic GF6 & GX1 were nice, a bit bigger than the Nikon but probably worth it in terms of image quality.

The Samsung NX was very cool.  I forget the model, NX200 or 2000.  It was not much bigger than the J1 and it's a much bigger sensor.  I liked it a lot.  It's more expensive but the lenses are not really more.  Very tempting.

The Sony RX-100 felt nice but it didn't have power so I couldn't try it.  but I can see what the fuss is about.  It's truly portable and compact.  and I think I may be leaning towards this.  At $650 it's half the price of the full m4/3 & Nikon 1 kits.  I'm not sure if I need the RX-100 II.  Some people are not that impressed with it, many say the color and quality is worse.  I hope when RX-100 II comes out the RX-100 will drop in price.

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,736
In reply to David Banner, Jul 3, 2013

David Banner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I just searched there and it's over $300. I don't see the $199 price. Do you have a link?

http://www.rakuten.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?qu=NIkon+J1

I just now clicked on the link in the email again and now it says it is sold out.  I guess they went quickly at that price, but it says to check back soon.  Here is the link, but the price has been removed:

http://blinq.store.rakuten.com/p/nikon-j1-10-1-megapixel-mirrorless-camera-body-with-lens-kit-10-mm-30/224642291.html

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

David Banner
In reply to Henry Richardson, Jul 4, 2013

I just now clicked on the link in the email again and now it says it is sold out. I guess they went quickly at that price, but it says to check back soon. Here is the link, but the price has been removed:

http://blinq.store.rakuten.com/p/nikon-j1-10-1-megapixel-mirrorless-camera-body-with-lens-kit-10-mm-30/224642291.html

Thanks, I'll keep checking.  I think I can skip the 10-100 which makes the J1 very attractive and affordable.  I'd add the 18.5 prime and FT71 and I'd be good.

Trevor G
In reply to REShultz, Jul 7, 2013

REShultz wrote:

On the other hand, the 1 system lacks an affordable portrait lens. Our new lens is 900$ to do what the Oly 45mm does for half the price.

I wouldn't be using the Nikon 1 series without the FT-1 adaptor so that I could use my normal f2.8l Nikon zoom lenses.

Then I reckon the 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8 AF-S lenses at $200 and $240 each, with the FT-1 adaptor costing around $200 also, could be better value than an Oly 45.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
In reply to REShultz, Jul 7, 2013

REShultz wrote:

yslee1 wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

If you want to use AF then the Nikon V1 is a far superior option because of the availability of affordable, quality, f2.8 zooming AF lenses. You cannot get that with µ4/3.

What affordable f/2.8 zoom lenses are there for the V1? Last I checked, they're all consumer zooms with f/3.5-5.6 variable apertures.

Perhaps he means with the adapter?... not sure, but like you I don't know of any 2.8 native zooms.

He did, indeed, mean "with the FT-1 adaptor."

The FT-1 lets you AF  any AF-S (motorised) lens in both S and C modes now. That's a lot of high grade lens choices once you consider after-market manufacturers.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

REShultz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 7, 2013

Trevor... I was actually debating the adapter today.

Hard decision. I need more portrait capability. Not sure if I should get an EPL5 with 45mm (or use it with my Sigma 30mm left over from my M43 days) or get the adapter and 35mm 1.8g.

Have any examples with that lens on the V1?

Dawindyk
Forum MemberPosts: 96
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 7, 2013

REShultz wrote:

yslee1 wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

Perhaps he means with the adapter?... not sure, but like you I don't know of any 2.8 native zooms.

He did, indeed, mean "with the FT-1 adaptor."

The FT-1 lets you AF  any AF-S (motorised) lens in both S and C modes now. That's a lot of high grade lens choices once you consider after-market manufacturers.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

So You want to put a lens with adapter that weights almost three times more than body (which is additionally grip less other than v2)? Have you considered this: When using the adapter with lenses weighing over 380 g (13.4 oz), support the lens when holding the camera and do not use the camera strap. Failure to observe these precautions could damage the camera lens mount.
So basically you need at least monopod to be able to use most of lenses - doesn't sound too portable for me

Trevor G
In reply to Dawindyk, Jul 8, 2013

Dawindyk wrote:

So You want to put a lens with adapter that weights almost three times more than body (which is additionally grip less other than v2)?

It's not a problem for me, it might be for you.

I use these "big" lenses now on a D700 and never shoot one handed - in other words, I am always holding/supporting the lens with my left hand.

Even on my little Fuji X20.  That's how I operate the zoom and frame a shot.  Do you shoot one-handed?

Have you considered this: When using the adapter with lenses weighing over 380 g (13.4 oz), support the lens when holding the camera and do not use the camera strap. Failure to observe these precautions could damage the camera lens mount.

That's what big boys do with big toys.

My 80-200 f2.8 is far too heavy to rest off the end of a D700 unsupported.  I wouldn't be using this lens on the V too often, but because I am used to doing it, holding the camera by holding the lens, say a 17-55 f2.8, wouldn't be a problem for me.  That's how I carry aroundf the D700 when I am using the 80-200, by gripping the lens.

So basically you need at least monopod to be able to use most of lenses - doesn't sound too portable for me.

Monopod won't help, because the weight is in the lens, and as you say, the body can't support the weight of these huge lenses. However, plenty of people go birding with a V1 and a long tele lens because of the extra reach you get, and the quick AF.

I'm sure that I will be able to handle a much shorter 17-55 f2.8

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Dawindyk
Forum MemberPosts: 96
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 8, 2013

What's the point then in buying Nikon 1 if you can buy a proper APSC body with a proper grip to support these lenses? Other then birding with extreme television lenses I see no point in buying N1 body to use it with FX/DC lenses - and even then You can always crop from a sensor with comparable density. System should be mostly used with system lenses that are of a proper size - otherwise it's not really a system but kind of "wannabe". If you want to play with big toys keep up with it and don't pretend that attaching N1 to them as an intelligent lens cap will result in having a compact system

secretworld
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
In reply to Dawindyk, Jul 8, 2013

It is easy to get a small magical m4/3 setup. GX1 (or PM2) with 20mm and 45mm 1.8.

Add 7-14 for even more magic.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
MJ Jones
Forum MemberPosts: 73
In reply to David Banner, Jul 9, 2013

If you buy Pana 14-140 wait for the revised edition. It's lighter, slightly smaller and according to the happy few which have had it,it's even slightly better than its predecessor.

Just available in some European countries, announced for mid-August in the US.

MJ Jones
In reply to David Banner, Jul 9, 2013

Well, I was also torn between the 2. Went for an end of stock G3 brand new for $220 instead of an end of stock V1 offered at a similar price.

As an amateur with limited means, figured out a 1-inch sensor would suit my needs and abilities. But one buys into a system and Nikon has a closed platform. Moreover it seems intent to curb the abilities/functionalities of its System 1 platform so as to make its entry DSLR more appealing. Waited a full year to see whether Sony would extend its 1 inch line or if another camera maker would jump in.

Not being the case, I finally chose the G3. Somewhat reluctantly knowing that the lenses would theoretically be heavier and more expensive. What finally switched me is Pana's announcement of the revised 14-140 mm lens which is much lighter (265 grams) than its predecessor, even slightly better and motorized (can be operated from a smartphone on the GF6 and G6). Together with the G3, it will make a nice kit for travel neither bulkier or heavier than a Pana FZ bridge. A Nikon CX 10-100 would have been heavier (515 gr), slower and would have cost about the same. Later on will add a stabilized E-PL5 and the smashing Oly 45 mm. 
If you don't need an EVF and want an uptodate body, you may take the GF6 into consideration. End of stock GX 1 should also provide good value and quality. In Europe E-PL5 and E-PM2 are still overpriced. They offer better value for money in the US.

MJ Jones
In reply to MJ Jones, Jul 9, 2013

Pana's 14-140 3.5-5.6 lens availability in the US postponed from mid-August to end of September 2013.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968587-REG/panasonic_14_140mm_f_3_5_5_6_ois_micro.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads