I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to REShultz, Jul 1, 2013

REShultz wrote:

Many will trash the 1 system but it's actually very good.

I've shot with both. For IQ, go with the newer generation sensor in M43. Another advantage of M43 is lens options (far and away better than the 1 system).

For IQ similar to the older generation M43, for fast and accurate AF, or for silent shutter, the 1 system is great. It's also more economic. The 18.5 1.8 (50mm equivalent) is an excellent and sharp lens. It's less than 200$, and a refurb 30-110 can be had for 125$.

One last thing to add, metering is great on the 1 system. My biggest issue with the system is that in areas of dynamic range and low light, there are better options.

For you, I think it's really about how you intend to use your other DSLR to supplement the IQ factor. If you're willing to use it when needed, the 1 system will work out very well. If you end up leaving it at home more often than not, and you need IQ, M43 is the better option.

I agree with that, good opinion.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Re: Be careful if you get the latest M4/3 gear
In reply to Russ Houston, Jul 1, 2013

Russ Houston wrote:

If you get something like the OM-D, E-PL5, E-P5 or GH3, don't be surprised if you rarely use your D300 anymore.

-- hide signature --

True, at least for me, since 2008 when I have bought the first Micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic Lumix, I have put the DSLR system for selling, at that time the IQ was not so great like now is, what  is natural, but it was good enough to make get rid of big cameras and lenses. I was using Nikon at the time.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,344Gear list
In reply to David Banner, Jul 1, 2013

Despite being a fan of Nikon (F3, D100, D200, D300, D700) I decided against the Nikon 1 and bought an Olympus OMD. I think Nikon went too small with the sensor and I was concearned about the lens choices. I'm very happy with the OMD and like having the option of either that or my D700 depending on whether I want the most capable gear or whether I can't be bothered with the weight!

I think I could see myself selling both when I get totally fed up with the heavy SLR gear and buying something in between. I'm happy for the time being but something like a Fuji X-Pro1 looks interesting, and the appeal will grow as more lenses come to the market. If I only wanted one camera that would be it.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315

Russ Houston wrote:

If you get something like the OM-D, E-PL5, E-P5 or GH3, don't be surprised if you rarely use your D300 anymore.

My main interest for the D300 is for portraits and the thin depth of field.  The 4/3 & Nikon 1 cameras can't compete there.  The 85 1.4 is my main lens for the D300 and I think it's unbeatable.  I love focusing on the eyes and having the ears and hair out of focus.

My interest in the 4/3 and/or Nikon 1 is for a lightweight compact walkabout camera.  I really like the 18-200 on my D300 but it's big & heavy.  On our upcoming vacation I'll be carrying a 7 month old (almost 10kg) on my back.  I did that once before with my first child, with a Canon Digital Rebel and it was do-able but this time I have not only the baby but 2 other kids to keep up with. Plus I'm older.

David Banner
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? - Dynamic B&W

I keep my LX3 because I love the Dynamic B&W.  I don't like the color so it's almost an exclusive B&W camera.  So That was making me lean towards the GX1 over the Nikon J1.. until I read that Panasonic removed the dynamic B&W option from the newest models.

Is this true?  I'm hoping they added it back with a firmware.  I look for a GF1 but they're no longer available.

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
In reply to REShultz, Jul 1, 2013

REShultz wrote:

I've shot with both. For IQ, go with the newer generation sensor in M43. Another advantage of M43 is lens options (far and away better than the 1 system).

If you want to use manual focus only.

If you want to use AF then the Nikon V1 is a far superior option because of the availability of affordable, quality, f2.8 zooming AF lenses.  You cannot get that with µ4/3.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

REShultz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 1, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

REShultz wrote:

If you want to use AF then the Nikon V1 is a far superior option because of the availability of affordable, quality, f2.8 zooming AF lenses. You cannot get that with µ4/3.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

On the other hand, the 1 system lacks an affordable portrait lens. Our new lens is 900$ to do what the Oly 45mm does for half the price.

Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list

David Banner wrote:

Russ Houston wrote:

My main interest for the D300 is for portraits and the thin depth of field. The 4/3 & Nikon 1 cameras can't compete there. The 85 1.4 is my main lens for the D300 and I think it's unbeatable. I love focusing on the eyes and having the ears and hair out of focus.

You mean like this?

I hear you though.  85/1.4 on a larger sensor is razor thin, and it can be hard to replicate.

-- hide signature --
 Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 749Gear list
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 1, 2013

Wow, Mr. Chin!

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
David Banner

Russ Houston wrote:

You mean like this?

I hear you though. 85/1.4 on a larger sensor is razor thin, and it can be hard to replicate.

You can do it by getting very close to the subject but for a portrait that won't work because you get distortion.  and if the subject is farther away then you lose the thin DoF.

I don't need to replicate the thin DoF because I can just use my Nikon for that.

This weekend I'm leaving for a week long competition for my daughter's equestrian team.  I am not going to take my D300 because I'll be out 12 hours/day every day for 9 days straight.  So I will take my LX3 and do some documentary type B&W photos and I'll take the canon compact (I think ti's a 110HS I'm not sure) for snapshots and color photos.  I'll see what I can come up with.  This trip will give me more information on how a m4/3 or nikon 1 can bridge the gap between compact and DSLR.

Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list

Russ Houston wrote:

My main interest for the D300 is for portraits and the thin depth of field.  The 4/3 & Nikon 1 cameras can't compete there.  The 85 1.4 is my main lens for the D300 and I think it's unbeatable.  I love focusing on the eyes and having the ears and hair out of focus.

My interest in the 4/3 and/or Nikon 1 is for a lightweight compact walkabout camera.  I really like the 18-200 on my D300 but it's big & heavy.  On our upcoming vacation I'll be carrying a 7 month old (almost 10kg) on my back.  I did that once before with my first child, with a Canon Digital Rebel and it was do-able but this time I have not only the baby but 2 other kids to keep up with. Plus I'm older.

If you've to take care of 2 kids & a baby, better bring along a RX100II.
--
http://www.fotop.net/DonaldChin

REShultz

I think for that type of event, in good light, you would love the 30-110 if you go the direction of the 1.

yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 343
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 1, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

If you want to use AF then the Nikon V1 is a far superior option because of the availability of affordable, quality, f2.8 zooming AF lenses. You cannot get that with µ4/3.

What affordable f/2.8 zoom lenses are there for the V1? Last I checked, they're all consumer zooms with f/3.5-5.6 variable apertures.

REShultz
In reply to yslee1, Jul 1, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

What affordable f/2.8 zoom lenses are there for the V1? Last I checked, they're all consumer zooms with f/3.5-5.6 variable apertures.

Perhaps he means with the adapter?... not sure, but like you I don't know of any 2.8 native zooms.

Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list

As a user of the V1, I can safely say that you're better off with a 1 system camera. I'd dissect the scenario for you (assuming your alternative is the GX1):

Image quality of the V1 is superb, I'd dare say at most 10% behind that of DSLRs. The point to remember is to shoot in RAW because V1's raw files are very tweakable and expandable. Frankly, I think the image quality of the 1 series should be better than those from the micro4/3 sans the likes of OMD5/EPL5. Its dynamic range is actually significantly better than most of the m4/3 cameras, in the case of the GX1, the V1 is 8.42 vs 7.25 on high quality DR. ISO performance is shown to be about the same for the GX1 and V1 (as again found on imaging-resource) which is alright.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/GX1/Z00160_ACRauto_Step_2.png

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONV1/Z0100NR0_ACRauto_Step_2.png

You speak of the 20 f1.7, the counterpart of the V1 is the 18.5 f1.8 offering around the same field of view and depth and it's very sharp even wide open, at about slightly less than $200.

Coming off the DSLRs I'd say the 1 system has the closest match in terms of spot-on focus and blazing focus speed. It's possibly the only mirrorless system that tracks continuous motion well, here's a photo of a very fast and erratic bird that I had trouble even getting it into the viewfinder; the multi-area continuous focus managed to catch it in the fleeting moment it was on screen.

The lenses are also very light and you'd be able to carry its native lenses and then some with no problem at all.

This is by no means trying to diss the m4/3 cameras, but I just feel the need to clear any misconceptions from people that have not tried the 1 system cameras. *Btw the only reason I'm in this part of the forums is because of the 'top threads' thing cropping up, I've no intention of being an ass, in fact, I do think the m4/3 system has a lot going for it as well*

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
bryanbrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 567

David Banner wrote:

All together this adds up to be about $1200. I'm comparing this with something similar from the Nikon 1 system which is a lot cheaper. for the same price I can have a 10-30 kit lens and the FT1 adapter which would allow me to use my Nikon cameras. I don't know if this is possible with 4/3. So I'm leaning a bit towards the Nikon 1 but I'm still researching it and I'd love to get some feedback from the 4/3 crowd.

Thanks!

You should consider a E-PM2 ($400) and a Sigma 30mm 2.8 ($200).

The E-PM2 sensor when combined with IBIS puts this combination into a whole other league when shooting low light photos with non stabilized primes.  The GX1 and the Nikon 1 simply cannot compete.  The Nikon 1 primes are not stabilized. 
Prior to the latest Sony Sensor in the E-PM2, E-PL5 and E-M5, the Nikon 1 and the 18.5 1.8 could compete on somewhat of an even playing field with the m4/3, but the Sony Sensor's dynamic range and detail for cropping have destroyed the Nikon 1 position.

The Nikon 1 when used with the kits lens cannot produce background blur (unless you position your lens inches away from the subject).  The sensor is too small.  With m4/3 kit, and a kit lens you always have the option of getting some background blur on head and shoulder shots.

David Banner
In reply to Aspenz, Jul 1, 2013

Great reply and great example.  What you said makes a lot of sense.  Do you think the J1 is enough?  They have really good deals on that right now.  The J2 is just a little more but without the 30-110 which I probably wouldn't need if I got the 10-100.

Does the J1 (or V1) have good in camera b&w?  I know it's a strange question, everyone loves PP'ing to convert to b&w but the LX3 has superb "dynamic b&w" and it's a lot of fun.  For some silly reason Panasonic removed this feature from the new m4/3 cameras.  If GX1 had it I'd be leaning towards it because it could replace my LX3.  But it seems for b&w I might keep the LX3.

I checked the size and weight of GX1 and the J1 is a bit smaller and it is about 80g lighter.  That's nice.  I'm still on the fence though.

Aspenz

David Banner wrote:

Great reply and great example. What you said makes a lot of sense. Do you think the J1 is enough? They have really good deals on that right now. The J2 is just a little more but without the 30-110 which I probably wouldn't need if I got the 10-100.

Does the J1 (or V1) have good in camera b&w? I know it's a strange question, everyone loves PP'ing to convert to b&w but the LX3 has superb "dynamic b&w" and it's a lot of fun. For some silly reason Panasonic removed this feature from the new m4/3 cameras. If GX1 had it I'd be leaning towards it because it could replace my LX3. But it seems for b&w I might keep the LX3.

I checked the size and weight of GX1 and the J1 is a bit smaller and it is about 80g lighter. That's nice. I'm still on the fence though.

The J1 is essentially the V1 with no EVF and a shallower buffer. It is quite a bit lighter, so the trade-off is really dependent on how much you value composing shots comfortably in bright sunlight/firing a volley of shots with the 10,30,60fps. There's even a S1 now which is the lightest (but looks point and shoot).

I personally have never shot in B&W so here's some random user's flickr samples... make of it what you will.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d90_d40_users_group_/discuss/72157629696181012/

Definitely take your time for decisions like these. The m4/3 system does benefit from having many lenses and cameras of varying functionalities and performances.

Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
David Banner
In reply to Aspenz, Jul 1, 2013

I'm not too interested in the V1, so I meant J1 or J2 or J3.  J2 didn't look that much better, neither does J3 actually.  J1 is cheaper now.

Aspenz

Oh in that case definitely just go with J1. There are minimal differences for J2 and J3 except the addition of some modes and 'fun' functions, and the increased high speed electronic shutter (15 vs 10).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads