Fun With Fireworks! - RX1

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?
Fun With Fireworks! - RX1
10 months ago

Our park started ramping up for the 4th of July celebrations this evening.  My first attempt to photograph fireworks.

I brought both my RX1 and NEX 5N that had a 50mm (75mm EFL) lens, not knowing how it might all play out.  As it turn out, the 35mm in a vertical position is ideal for fireworks.

It is pretty cool examining at 1:1 (even considering these are downsampled).

I have lots more, but figured i would not bore you beyond this.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,239
Like?
Re: Fun With Fireworks! - RX1
In reply to teseg, 10 months ago

very nice selection.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teseg
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, 10 months ago

Fredy Ross wrote:

very nice selection.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Thank you Fredy.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
busch
Forum ProPosts: 28,533Gear list
Like?

Darn nice! I especially like the last one. An occassional shot with ground objects are nice IMO.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
hapster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974Gear list
Like?
Nice Job!

I especially like number 4... if possible, always try to get something in the foreground to give it some scale. If you can do that and get them over water it's even better...

You seemed to have lucked out that the wind was taking the smoke away from where you were shooting. I've had times where the wind was taking the smoke right at me, it really makes for less than ideal images.

It's nice that they are practicing already...

Enjoy your 4th!

H

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
teseg
Like?
Re: Nice Job!
In reply to hapster, 10 months ago

hapster wrote:

You seemed to have lucked out that the wind was taking the smoke away from where you were shooting. I've had times where the wind was taking the smoke right at me, it really makes for less than ideal images.

H

Thanks busch and hapster. I did quick web search to find any tips for shooting before walking down.  Wind direction was one key point made. It was good advice but caused me to walk about an extra 1/2 mile each way vs. where I originally intended to shoot.

So guess you could say I made my own luck.

zitan
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to teseg, 9 months ago

Your photos are great. Mine turned out a mixed bag as I used AF mode and the camera was not able to correctly focus 80% of the time. Would appreciate if you could advise which mode you used or if using manual, which setting did you use. Thanks in advance.

teseg
Like?
In reply to zitan, 9 months ago

zitan wrote:

Your photos are great. Mine turned out a mixed bag as I used AF mode and the camera was not able to correctly focus 80% of the time. Would appreciate if you could advise which mode you used or if using manual, which setting did you use. Thanks in advance.

Thanks.  I manually focused at infinity using M mode. Shutter speed was around 4 to 5 seconds... All the fireworks were bursting on the same vertical axis so leaving open longer had them bursting on top of each other, versus some displays that have nice lateral separation.  Plus, longer exposure  creates an equally long processing time, so 5 second shutter speed takes 10 seconds, 20 second shutter speed takes 40 seconds... For my first attempt with fireworks I wanted to ensure I had lots of shots, and toyed around with exposure, etc...  So used shorter exposure.

Of course, a tripod is a must.

I was probably about 75-100 meters from the launch location.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads