Adding a New Time Machine Drive

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions
InspectorHud
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Adding a New Time Machine Drive
Jun 30, 2013

My Time Machine backup is getting near capacity.  Is it possible to add another drive that will be an extension to the current or do I have to start over with a bigger drive?

I'm currently using an iMac with latest OS and WD 2TB Firewire 800 externals.

TheDanS
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Adding a New Time Machine Drive
In reply to InspectorHud, Jun 30, 2013

InspectorHud wrote:

My Time Machine backup is getting near capacity. Is it possible to add another drive that will be an extension to the current or do I have to start over with a bigger drive?

It's a 2TB drive. I would just let it get full until TM prompts you to delete some of the oldest backups. It should do it automatically.

TheDanS's gear list:TheDanS's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InspectorHud
Like?
In reply to TheDanS, Jun 30, 2013

TheDanS wrote:

InspectorHud wrote:

My Time Machine backup is getting near capacity. Is it possible to add another drive that will be an extension to the current or do I have to start over with a bigger drive?

It's a 2TB drive. I would just let it get full until TM prompts you to delete some of the oldest backups. It should do it automatically.

Perhaps you're right, since I do use the vault backup in Aperture, but is there a way to extend the drive to another?  That would be my preference.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447
Like?

InspectorHud wrote:

TheDanS wrote:

InspectorHud wrote:

Perhaps you're right, since I do use the vault backup in Aperture, but is there a way to extend the drive to another? That would be my preference.

Extend the drive to another? Unplug the 2T you have and plug in another. I use my backup to protect me from hard drive failure. Using using drive after drive  to track every thing that happens  continuously serves me no purpose.  I in fact deleted all the saved backups from 2012 the other evening.

TheDanS
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to DenWil, Jun 30, 2013

DenWil wrote:

InspectorHud wrote:

TheDanS wrote:

InspectorHud wrote:

Perhaps you're right, since I do use the vault backup in Aperture, but is there a way to extend the drive to another? That would be my preference.

Extend the drive to another? Unplug the 2T you have and plug in another. I use my backup to protect me from hard drive failure. Using using drive after drive to track every thing that happens continuously serves me no purpose. I in fact deleted all the saved backups from 2012 the other evening.

I'm a one month old iMac with a 1TB drive. I have an external 1TB usb drive and its actually overkill for my backup flow. Are you fairly new to mac? I don't want that to sound offensive but i'm thinking you are overthinking your backup strategy.

TheDanS's gear list:TheDanS's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

InspectorHud wrote:

I'm assuming your drive is filled up due to media files? Have you considered permanently backing up those files? I look at Time Machine as an operational backup system, not something for archival or long term storage. You are much better off eventually moving those files into a more permanent location and giving your Time Machine drive and your internal drive room to do their thing.

I suggest reading the Wikipedia article on how Time Machine works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(Mac_OS)

An Apple support quote from the article.

"Time Machine is a backup utility, not an archival utility, it is not intended as offline storage. Time Machine captures the most recent state of your data on your disk. As snapshots age, they are prioritized progressively lower compared to your more recent ones."

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,982
Like?
Very simple, just copy it from one drive to another

InspectorHud wrote:

You can simply copy/move the whole TM backup folder from the old drive to the new drive. There are just a few details to remember: (1) the new drive has to be formatted as HSF+ journaled with a GUID partition table (the default when formatting new drives), (2) the 'Ignore ownership' box on the new drive has to be unchecked. And you naturally should switch TM off while moving the backup from one drive to another and point TM to the drive after you're done. Here are the official instructions by Apple.

InspectorHud
Like?
In reply to Basalite, Jun 30, 2013

Basalite wrote:

I'm assuming your drive is filled up due to media files? Have you considered permanently backing up those files? I look at Time Machine as an operational backup system, not something for archival or long term storage.

Good point Basalite and others.  I should probably change my backup strategy, but yes, being a professional photographer I have about 80% of the 2tb drive full right now not to mention my old CD/ DVD iView system.  I agree, I should probably copy the oldest for archiving and let TM work as a backup that serves as a safety net for more recent things.  Given that approach I could probably use a 1tb for TM.  Thanks for the suggestions. It is time to rethink the system.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads