Nikon vs Canon; a few question

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions
ZedEm
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Nikon vs Canon; a few question
Jun 30, 2013

This isn't quite another "Which one is better?" thread but more of a question period where I ask questions and where others answer based on their expertise and experience.

I am not a troll nor do I actually believe there is a difference between either that can make or break a photographer but I am intrigued as to why some people find differences between products that without creative input from a human being do nothing more than act as heavy and expensive paperweights.

I have been a Canon user since day one and in talking to people and reading forums, I have come across certain assertions others make about each brand. I am often left wondering how much truth there is to each statement so I am going to write down statements I have encountered in the last few years and I hope others can chime in to where such "facts" originated from and if there is any truth to them.  Here it goes and don't ask me to source where I've heard or read each statement but I assure you, they are out there.

1) "Canon professional lenses are better"

2 "Nikon consumer lenses are better"

3) "Nikons are more often employed in the studio setting due to superior flash systems"

4) "Most sport/wildlife photographers use Canons becuase XYZ"

5 "Most landscape photographers use Nikons"

6) "Canons create 'disney' colors when shooting JPEG"

7) "Nikon JPEGs have a green tint to them"

8) "The older you are, the more likley it is you shoot with a Nikon"

ZedEm's gear list:ZedEm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon vs Canon; a few question
In reply to ZedEm, Jun 30, 2013

ZedEm wrote:

This isn't quite another "Which one is better?" thread but more of a question period where I ask questions and where others answer based on their expertise and experience.

I am not a troll nor do I actually believe there is a difference between either that can make or break a photographer but I am intrigued as to why some people find differences between products that without creative input from a human being do nothing more than act as heavy and expensive paperweights.

I have been a Canon user since day one and in talking to people and reading forums, I have come across certain assertions others make about each brand. I am often left wondering how much truth there is to each statement so I am going to write down statements I have encountered in the last few years and I hope others can chime in to where such "facts" originated from and if there is any truth to them. Here it goes and don't ask me to source where I've heard or read each statement but I assure you, they are out there.

I would switch the above. Of the pro level lenses I've used the Nikons have tended to be VERY slightly better in terms of sharpness, bokeh, etc. Consumer level lenses have tended to go the opposite. Again, we're talking VERY minor differences here though.

3) "Nikons are more often employed in the studio setting due to superior flash systems"

Never heard that.

If 'XYZ' means Canon provides more top tier lenses via sponsorship I agree.

Never heard that either.

Green?! In my opinion Sony's images have a slight magenta tint, Nikon's images tend towards a slight yellow, and Canon's are the least consistent but tend towards green.

Huh?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,213
Like?

ZedEm wrote:

I have been a Canon user since day one and in talking to people and reading forums, I have come across certain assertions others make about each brand. I am often left wondering how much truth there is to each statement so I am going to write down statements I have encountered in the last few years and I hope others can chime in to where such "facts" originated from and if there is any truth to them. Here it goes and don't ask me to source where I've heard or read each statement but I assure you, they are out there.

There are some Nikon 'professional; lenses better or have no Canon equivalent, the 14-24mm f/2.8, for example.

I don't no if I could go for that one either.

I don't know many studios that employ shoe moount type flash units on a regualr basis. I do think that the Nikon plash system is better than Canon's, but it wasn't always that way.

I think that this is generally true for sports, but I don't know about wildlife. Canon super telephoto lenses have been generally less expensive than Canon's.

Most professional landscape photographers I know work with larger format cameras; neither Canon not Nikon.

Whatever that means

I wouldn't no about that either

In which country?

Brian A

Jake64
Contributing MemberPosts: 556Gear list
Like?

1) "Canon professional lenses are better" (Not sure about that one but they do have more of a wow factor since they're white and make you look like a pro to soccer parents)

2 "Nikon consumer lenses are better" (Never heard that)

3) "Nikons are more often employed in the studio setting due to superior flash systems" (I've heard this many times but I don't know if it's true or how recent that information is. Maybe in the 80s/90s?. I blame Ken Rockwell for this myth."

4) "Most sport/wildlife photographers use Canons becuase XYZ" (Maybe true at one time as per Canon professional services but now I can see just as many black lenses in the sports stands as I see white ones. As for wildlife photography; no idea)

5 "Most landscape photographers use Nikons" (Bullocks)

6) "Canons create 'disney' colors when shooting JPEG" (huh?)

7) "Nikon JPEGs have a green tint to them" (I read a review once and the D800 photos did appear more green than the Canon Mark III. Who knows what factors were present)

8) "The older you are, the more likley it is you shoot with a Nikon" (Maybe true. Canon seems to have a more aggressive marketing campaign though they are thankfully lacking Ashton Kutcher. Here's another fun fact; Out of the seven weddings I've been to in the last five years, all seven of them had photographers in their 20s/30s using Canons.)

Jake64's gear list:Jake64's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

ZedEm wrote:

Nope.  Both systems have some excellent lenses.

Nope.  Both are about equal.  Both have some duds and some very good.

Nope.  Maybe if all you use are speedlights, as the Nikon system is 'said' to be better.  But completely irrelevant if you use studio strobes, which is what you would be using in a professional studio.

Huh?  What is 'XYZ'?  Absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.

First I have heard of that.

Really?  Never heard that, but I have heard that Canon jpgs look plasticy.

Mine don't, but then I don't shoot jpg.

Really?  I started using Nikon in my late teens.  I am now over 60.  Still using Nikon, by the way.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,646
Like?

I think you've experienced somewhat typical brand bias when reading forums. Comments are below.

ZedEm wrote:

Nope, both companies manufacture very good pro lenses from what I've seen. I base this on comparisons of the photos and comments from colleagues.

Same as above. Both have some really good lenses and some weak ones. There are also 3rd party companies that have some really good lenses.

I don't do studio work, but most of the lighting in studios that I've seen is manufactured by companies that focus on studio lighting, not Canon or Nikon.

I do a lot of bird photography, what I see in the field is a mix of both. In my view, both are about equal in terms of bodies and lenses at any given point in time.

Both Canon & Nikon have user-selectable styles for in-camera JPG processing, the photog can set saturation, contrast, sharpening, etc. to suit their needs.

As in point 6.

I haven't seen many old farts shift from Canon to Nikon, or vice versa for that matter. It really comes down to which system will best meet your needs. I've shot both and either is quite good. FWIW, I'm 65 and shoot with Canon.

s majesk
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
I think the last one is true?
In reply to Doug J, Jun 30, 2013

at least in North America.  All the rest are just diatribe.

It's true, that back in the late sixties, through the seventies, all the major brands of 'Japanese', SLR cameras, were considered about equal depending on the availability of certain lenses.  There was Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Konica, Olympus, Fujica, and Yashica to name most, but it was Nikon who was heralded as the cream of the crop by most everyone, so much so, that at entry level, you had the Nikkormat, not quite a 'Nikon' though integrated later on.   Nikon definitely had a premium price, "the professionals choice" with a line of 'professional' lenses and accessories that did prove this out. This would be challenged by Canon and Olympus and to a lesser degree, Minolta.

Therefore I think, the bias towards Nikon in the older crowd (50+), especially now that prices have pretty much leveled out across the board.

plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?

ZedEm wrote:

Ken Rockwell, has said that the difference is that Canon cams are designed by engineers whilst Nikon cams are designed by photographers. I am not entirely in agreement with that, but I do believe that to be the case with the Canon -v- Nikon flash systems; I think the Canon flash system has been a joke for ages (and even their new fancy pants radio signal wireless flash system leaves me scratching my head as to why they didn't include an AF assist lamp/laser on the trigger, or why they couldn't be bothered to make the new radio flash system integrate with the older flashes by way of stand alone triggers).

Although, a lot of folks love to abuse Ken Rockwell, I think you should go to his site to see a VERY good, certainly the best I can remember seeing, comparison between Canon and Nikon systems. He highlights stuff that many folks overlook when comparing between the two systems.

Speaking for myself, I absolutely hate Nikon ergonomics but love their flash system and I hate the Canon flash system but much prefer their ergonomics.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575Gear list
Like?

ZedEm wrote:

Each has some really good high-end lenses.

I am not sure about this, as I have mostly paid attention to the higher-end lenses, but this assertion is news to me.

I have not heard this before, regarding studios, and as other members have already indicated, studio strobes are the norm in studios. I do believe that Canon's first really good pro-level flash was the 580EX II, and before it arrived, Nikon flashguns were, indeed, clearly better. One the other hand, the Canon ST-E2 provides very useful AF assistance, unlike the SU-800, but then the new Canon ST-E3-RT does not help AF,  a major blunder, in my opinion, that makes the ST-E3-RT a poor buy, in my opinion, as it is so expensive, relative to a 600EX-RT.

Canon did take much of this market from Nikon, but the 1D Mark III camera's early AF problems prompted many to switch back to Nikon. Regarding the apparent proliferation of white lenses at sporting events, Nikon did make some number of very light grey lenses, and Minolta telephoto lenses were white, too. At today's sporting events, not all long lenses are white.

Personally, I have only one long white lens, for now. I am planning to do much bird and wildlife photography when I retire, and am waiting until I am sure whether my future top-tier DSLR purchase will be Canon or Nikon. At present, the D4 feels notably better in my hands than the 1D X, and sells for significantly smaller sum of USD.

Of the two local wildlife photographers I consider my mentors/advisors, one uses Canon, the other Nikon.

I am unaware of any properly-done polls to support this.

I think this may be due to one blogger's comments regarding the way Canon cameras apply noise reduction.

I know one blogger says this quite loudly, but others disagree with him. It is not difficult to adjust this, anyway. My Nikon A does not have a green tint in its JPEGs, nor does my wife's D7000. (Well, she claimed my A, so I reckon both are hers.)

This may well be true. I am unaware of any properly-done surveys or polls to suppport this, but among photographers who developed their brand loyalties before the EOS system was introduced in 1987 or so, Nikon may indeed be the more-preferred brand, by some margin. I seem to see some level of Nikon bias among older shooters, but the difference, if it actually exists, is slight.

For what is is worth, I shoot with both brands, though my Nikon SLRs are not digital. There is a D70s that is shared by the household, acquired pre-owned, that has never been one of my primary cameras. My earliest SLR experience was with my wife's agency-issued D300s, which was the same camera that converted her from being a long-time Olympus fan.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

ZedEm wrote:

The ultimate in useless advice:

"Buy what I have, because it's what I have."

Often offered, often taken.

MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?

I have no opinion on your items 1-7, but as for item 8, I switched from Canon to Nikon in the late 1970's (Canon FTb w/50 1.8). Since I didn't have a big investment in Canon gear at the time it was relatively painless. I've been using Nikon since. A very close friend who is my age stayed with Canon. I think that when Canon started using Andre Agassi to push the EOS Rebels (with the new lens mount) lots of young people started using Canon's. I don't recall a big advertising campaign from Nikon at that time.

Since I had no auto focusing lenses when I went to digital SLR's I could have gone either way, but the biggest thing for me was to be able to shoot like I did with my old SLR's, and Nikon ergo's fit that better than Canon, for me. Command dials that I don't have to reach for.

-- hide signature --
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jul 1, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

ZedEm wrote:

There are some Nikon 'professional; lenses better or have no Canon equivalent, the 14-24mm f/2.8, for example.

Agreed, but thats about it. Canon will probably release one of those as good as their 24-70II and close that door as well.

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,890Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZedEm, Jul 1, 2013

Having had mid-level DSLR's from both, I'd have to say all 8 questions are False.  You can cite exceptions on both sides of each question; but overall, I see no difference.

What you didn't ask might be more important.  I find Canon menus easier to navigate.  That might be personal; but whoever did the Nikon menus doesn't think like I do.  Other folks might find the opposite.

In general Canon makes it easy to take very good photos.  Nikon can also take very good photos; but they make you work harder to get there.

Canon has done a much better job of product planning since they bit the bullet, dropped the FD lens mount, and brought out the EOS system.  A lens that worked on the EOS 620 will work on the 6D.  Nikon's product planning improve significantly since the D200.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,971
Like?
Re: Nikon vs Canon; a few questions

Instead of trying your luck on forums, why not consult the genuine, bona fide ...experts... ? ...

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jul 1, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

ZedEm wrote:

I don't no if I could go for that one either.

I don't know many studios that employ shoe moount type flash units on a regualr basis. I do think that the Nikon plash system is better than Canon's, but it wasn't always that way.

I think that this is generally true for sports, but I don't know about wildlife. Canon super telephoto lenses have been generally less expensive than Canon's.

Most professional landscape photographers I know work with larger format cameras; neither Canon not Nikon.

Whatever that means

I wouldn't no about that either

In which country?

Brian A

Nikon makes cameras with better IQ, and Canon makes better lenses. Both statements true generally I think.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
too funny Re: Nikon vs Canon; a few questions
In reply to Detail Man, Jul 1, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

Instead of trying your luck on forums, why not consult the genuine, bona fide ...experts... ? ...

Thanks for that link, that was funny!!!

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430
Like?

Both systems are used with excellent results at every level, from amateur to highly acclaimed pros.        The main differences among the two is that there are, well, differences.   Differences in handling, in methods, in operation, in component availability, etc etc.   Which means that for a particular user, with particular needs, one or the other system will provide a better match.   Which would make that system 'better' for that user, but not necessarily 'better' overall.

sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

Why those two marketing giants are the only options discussed should be the question.

harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?

After 35+ years shooting film with various 4x5, 2-1/4, and 35mm cameras, I switched to DSLR digital. I chose Canon for several very personal reasons:

1. I liked Canon's ergonomics and menu layout better

2. Canon responded to my calls and emails better than Nikon when requesting information

3. I could easily get Canon product manuals, whereas Nikon seemed to always throw up roadblocks (must enter serial number / print capability disabled).

4. The poor response from Nikon to a friend and fellow photographer who had a service issue.

Bottom line: I have multiple Canon bodies and many Canon lenses and accessories and am happy with Canon. Again, a personal decision and my experience.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
trueview
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to ZedEm, Jul 2, 2013

Every now and then, when I walk in Montmartre in Paris, I can observe a majority of Canon cameras in the hands of tourists. But the other day, I was walking up the Champs Élysées after a mechanical failure on the #1 metro line, and there Nikon definitely outnumbered Canon. From this highly scientific observation, I can add this comparison to your list  :

Canons are better at shooting Montmartre whereas Nikons are better at shooting the Champs Élysées

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads