Aperture Still Doing Some Weird Things Processing RAW

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions
dadada486
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Aperture Still Doing Some Weird Things Processing RAW
Jun 29, 2013

Ok, i'm guessing i clearly still don't understand digital photography. So following the whole issue i had below with regards to aspect ratio, i went to great lengths to change the EXIF info of my photos so that Aperture retained the 4:3 aspect ratio of photos shot in 16:9. I kind of get that whole thing now after hours of browsing these sites.

Thing is Aperture still does things i find baffling. It still changes the photo to such a significant degree from the JPEG preview. I have a simple photo of a building, a simple frontal view of a building that is symmetrical. In the JPEG preview it still looks great and building is in the centre of the photo. In RAW format, the building is no longer in the centre! It's shifted to right by a cm depending on the scale and a lot of the building is cut off. The photo is virtually useless! Why does Aperture do this? Why is there this difference compared to the JPEG preview? I understand that there will be differences with RAW, but what can i do if even the field of view is different and parts of the photo are chopped off?

WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337
Like?
Re: Aperture Still Doing Some Weird Things Processing RAW
In reply to dadada486, Jun 29, 2013

You know what? What you're telling us is so far beyond anything any of us have encountered, that unless you post images here for us to see what you're seeing, it's unlikely that you're going to get much help.

Please show us a sample jpeg vs. raw comparison, and we may be able to help you overcome this mystery.

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dadada486
Like?
In reply to WoodWorks, Jun 29, 2013

I'm trying to do this. Problem is when i upload the image onto flickr, i see the same changes to the photo. I can post this photo here but i'm not sure how to embed images here. I'm not sure how i would upload the version of the photo i actually want. How would i access the JPEG preview on Aperture? So far the software that came with my camera is not changing the photo to the degree i described, but i'm not sure how i would upload this, as i said flickr is also changing the photo. Maybe the mac equivalent of print screen?

WoodWorks
Like?

Sorry, but you've lost me. Perhaps someone else can figure out what it is that you're seeing. But unless I can see what you're seeing, I can't really offer any suggestions other than to re-read your owner's manual. Because what you're describing in this thread and your previous one is unlike anything that I've ever encountered.

I'm sorry.

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

dadada486
Like?
In reply to WoodWorks, Jun 29, 2013

ok, just before i get further lost and lose other people, i have a photo on flickr, how do i post it here? When i use the insert image function above, it keeps saying dpreview only takes dng, jpeg or gif. How can i post the RAW file image that i'm trying to describe if that's the case?!

WoodWorks
Like?

dadada486 wrote:

ok, just before i get further lost and lose other people, i have a photo on flickr, how do i post it here? When i use the insert image function above, it keeps saying dpreview only takes dng, jpeg or gif. How can i post the RAW file image that i'm trying to describe if that's the case?!

Can you save the raw image as a jpeg in a way that shows the problem? Or give us a link to your Flickr page so that we can see the two side-by-side?

My guess is that your raw developer is set to show something other than the full frame. But without seeing what you're seeing, no one here can give you any useful advice.

Have you tried to make your raw developer show you the same image that you're seeing in the jpeg. My guess is that that's where you want to start your trouble shooting.

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

PowderMaggot
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

I'm confused by your post too. First things first: 16:9 and 4:3 are very different. Are you perchance cutting off a chunk of your photo by changing aspect ratios?

miketuthill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,019Gear list
Like?

dadada486 wrote:

To get the shot of the way Aperture is showing the jpeg (or raw as I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say) do a screenprint and open the screenprint in Preview and save as a jpg for posting here.  If you don't know how to do a screen print do a google search.

miketuthill's gear list:miketuthill's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +7 more
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,953
Like?
How to post images here + how to take screen shots

You see that little pictogram in the upper right center of the posting window, indicated in red? Click on it, select 'Insert Image from your computer' and browse to the folder containing the image, select it and click the 'Open' button.

To get the result of Aperture's raw conversion out of Aperture as an uploadable image, simple drag the image onto the Desktop (or into any Finder window). This requires that Preview generation in Aperture is enabled, if this is not the case, simply select the menu 'Photos' -> 'Update Preview' in Aperture.

To take a screenshot (of part of the screen), press cmd-shift-4 and then select with the cursor the area you want to take the screenshot of.

dadada486
Like?
sussed it!

I think i've sussed it for the time being....well too an extent anyway and until i come across another anomaly!

Thanks for all the help offered though! Basically my photos were taken in 16:9. On the rear LCD they are displayed in the native 4:3 with a white box for the aspect ratio. Trouble is, it was this 4:3 view that i wanted. The software that came with my camera actually has both aspect ratios. Aperture displayed only the 16:9 cropped view. After reading around, i found a work around which was to batch edit the EXIF. I thought this worked, but it turns out i followed the instructions to the last word and didn't edit the aspect ratio to match the megapixel count of my camera. This resulted in cropping of the 4:3 photos as well. Now that I used the correct megapixel count, they seem fine!

If you're wondering why i went to such great lengths to retain the full 4:3 images, that's because when i took the photos during my holiday, i almost always went by the post-shooting review which was 4:3. And because my lens were all not very wide, nearly every photo was significantly outside of the 16:9 white frame. There was no way i could be satisfied with the 16:9 cropped photos.

Oh and i also worked out how to embed screenshots. But for some reason, i still can't embed photos from flickr.

Cheers,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads