Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS reviewed

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions
Jeff Keller
dpreview AdminPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS reviewed
Jun 28, 2013

Hi all, just letting you know that we've posted our review of the Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-tg2

We'll be doing four more underwater/rugged camera reviews and then wrapping it all up at the end to pick a winner.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Keller
Senior Writer, DPReview.com

Jeff Keller's gear list:Jeff Keller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Klimt z
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS reviewed
In reply to Jeff Keller, Jun 29, 2013

If you can't see the screen outdoors what good is an outdoor camera? I have tried several from your previous reviews and it is very frustrating to be out in the surf and looking at a reflection of yourself in the screen. You rated this one way too high. It is useless for the environment it was designed for.

-- hide signature --

K

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,053
Like?
In reply to Klimt z, Jun 30, 2013

Agree on LCD's (from any cam) that are way too reflective..some are impossible in bright light. I had a FUji F660 that I swear had a mirror for a LCD in bright sunlight..not usable at all. I just bought a Oly SZ-12 and the LCD is pretty readable in bright light.

Mittskitts
Contributing MemberPosts: 696Gear list
Like?
In reply to Klimt z, Jun 30, 2013

I have a TG-1 and have no trouble using the screen in sunlight.

Mittskitts's gear list:Mittskitts's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus SH-50 Olympus PEN E-PL1
geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mittskitts, Jun 30, 2013

Mittskitts wrote:

I have a TG-1 and have no trouble using the screen in sunlight.

+1. Have never had a LCD visibility issue when composing a shot. TG-1, for what it's intended to do, is a very good camera.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Canon EOS M +6 more
tanniewu
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mittskitts, Jul 2, 2013

Share the same thought - never really had a problem with the LCD screen taking outdoor photos.

It seems to me that turning up the brightness may be needed for taking underwater photos/video, depending on the situation.  In terms of setting the LCD brightness, it's really down to whether you want to see it more clearly on screen under strong light, or save some battery for more shots.

-- hide signature --

TWu
E-M5, HLD-6, GX1, XZ-1, XZ-2, TG-1, VF-3, FL-50R, FL-300R, FL-600R
9-18, 12-35, 12-50, 35-100, 100-300, 25/1.4, 45/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8 (m42)

tanniewu's gear list:tanniewu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +14 more
phlyfisher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
In reply to Jeff Keller, Jul 3, 2013

Good review, I didn't read every line but it is a fair assessment IMO. My impressions: The button layout is tight, but its a small camera, I have man-hands, and overall functionality is very good. Thumbwheel detents are quite strong, I need dry hands to move the wheel, or a strong thumb nail. I think they could make the grooves a bit deeper for easier rotation. LCD screen is beautiful most of the time, but have to agree occasionally the reflections are hard to see through. I don't think any fixed LCD screen really is much better than this one. The body construction is impressively rugged, I have submersed the camera in both salt and fresh water, without fogging, without leakage.

The seals look pretty good and simple. I rinse the camera in tap water and dry the battery/card/charger door area before opening, just blow the area off and mop loose water with a paper towel. I'm really careful that no sand, hairs or debris is trapped in the seal area when the doors are shut, that would not only allow water to leak in but might damage the seal's effectiveness in the future. The seals appear to be easily removable/replaceable.

The picture resolution and video is a step down from my Panny FZ 150  (Canon A650, ie high quality p+s), sometimes soft to the point of being cartoon-like. But surprisingly, for scenes where tiny details are not important, the picture quality is just fine. Considering there is a chunk of glass (?) in the optical path keeping water out down to 50 feet, I'll accept the IQ. Exposure accuracy is good enough, and its easy enough to dial in exposure compensation if necessary. The super macro zoom function is outstanding, while the flash might be on the wimpy side, the built in LCD illuminator for close ups is genius. The special effects modes, well, I can say this much, they let you see things differently... I am loving the quick start up, focus speed and reasonable shutter response. In short this is a very fun, go anywhere camera, a perfect summer companion.

-- hide signature --

chris
WSSA #98

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads