who upgraded from S95 and to what?

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions
Aristoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700
Like?
who upgraded from S95 and to what?
Jun 28, 2013

Have had the S95 for a few years and love it.

would like to try something new.

have you upgraded?

thanks

Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alan2dpreview
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Re: who upgraded from S95 and to what?
In reply to Aristoc, Jun 30, 2013

If you love it, why do you want to upgrade?  What are you looking for?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
S 120 or s 200 Re: who upgraded from S95 and to what?
In reply to Alan2dpreview, Jun 30, 2013

Technology always changing. and new camera with new technology coming soon.

S 120 or some people say s 200

will come with Digic 6 which is better on low light, faster AF, MP4 video

and other improvement

I suggest yo to wait that camera which might be announced August or september

Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: S 120 or s 200 Re: who upgraded from S95 and to what?
In reply to utomo99, Jul 1, 2013

Nicer but a little bigger:

Panasonic LX7

Much nicer, same size, more monry:

SONY RX100 or the new version coming out  SONY RX100 II

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,832Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aristoc, Jul 1, 2013

I'd say it depends entirely on just what style/type of camera you have a fancy or a liking for.  If you've used the S95 for some time it seems clear that you like and are satisfied with what a SMALL camera will give you. I still have my S95 after having it in use regularly..but then later went onto various others .. probably my whim as much as anything as I feel strongly that the S95 is VERY capable and can give pics as I've got in my collection, that would not show THAT much better from various other cameras in a similar category Each camera tends to handle and feel differently. I often think the S95 is as little too small for comfort - even in my small hands.  I got an Oly XZ-1 to follow it and whist still very pocketable and similar, it felt a little different and still gave me the quality I wanted from a carry-about pocket type. I've had a few others since - none that large , so I keep that nice feeling - the Sony RX-100 is excellent indeed..similar ease of carry although it is a bit pricey..STILL worth the price though and it IS a quite small camera very similar to the S95 in that respect. The G15 is a LOVELY camera.. it IS better than the S95 without a doubt - incredibly good and discard all thoughts you might have just from pics of it..if you've not seen and handled one - LOVELY in the hand..feels right from the start - and VERY good results.. and the price I paid for it was barely more than I paid when I bought the S95 new..the G15 I honestly say is one you might well look at..it's a great camera and feels OH so right..AND gives quality pics with ease.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,983Gear list
Like?
Re: you beat me to it - G15
In reply to ericN2, Jul 1, 2013

I still have my S90.  I also have the G15, SX230HS, and a Panasonic FZ200.

No question, the G15 is the best of the bunch and a good bit better than the S90 in low light.

I'd recommend going to the Pentax MX-1 review that this site just posted and use that to compare the S95 to the G15 and RX100 at ISO 1600.  The RX100 is noticeably softer than the G15 and not much better than the S90 or S95.  LX7 is no better, although it has a faster f/1.4 lens at wide angle.  But the LX7 only zooms to 90 mm at f/2.3.  At 90 mm, the G15 is right around f/2.4 and goes to 140 mm at f/2.8.

Earlier today, I posted some shots of a squirrel on my deck taken with my G15.  They are straight out of the camera JPEG's at ISO 800.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Rx100
In reply to Aristoc, Jul 2, 2013

I absolutely loved my S95. I bought a second one to shoot stereoscopic images. Still kept them.

I waited for a long time hoping Canon would come up with some thing to match or beat the Sony RX100 but their pocketable compacts seemed to go downhill in image quality with just a few new features added. I recently upgraded to the RX100. Took a while to get used to the menu system but the image quality is definitely a cut above the S95.

utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
S 120 need good improvements Re: Rx100
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jul 2, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

I absolutely loved my S95. I bought a second one to shoot stereoscopic images. Still kept them.

I waited for a long time hoping Canon would come up with some thing to match or beat the Sony RX100 but their pocketable compacts seemed to go downhill in image quality with just a few new features added. I recently upgraded to the RX100. Took a while to get used to the menu system but the image quality is definitely a cut above the S95.

I hope Canon read the news and user comments about new camera trend.

If they only using DIGIC 6 and small improvements, I guess many user did not willing to upgrade from older Sseries. and many user will buy other brand.

Canon need Good improvements on their new S series, so they can become king again on the compact premium cameras.

The time is now. otherwise canon will loosing the market on premium compact

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,832Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jul 2, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

Alas.. so is the price !!...  I bought the RX-100 and with the Skin AND a GARIZ half-case  on it..it IS a lovely camera and very capable indeed..  but handling and using the G15 is like being in another world..beautiful to handle AND to use in every way..and quality is very little short of anything in general...AND I got my G15 at about 2/3 the price I paid for the RX-100 .. a real bargain as there are some very good deals about in UK right now

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Aristoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700
Like?
Re: Rx100
In reply to ericN2, Jul 2, 2013

great comments...and helpful...thanks to all!

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,557Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aristoc, Jul 2, 2013

It was an S90 and upgraded to the RX100 which was very obviously modelled on the S90/95 and is the perfect upgrade with that massive sensor & instant AF in the same size cam with the same handling layout

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,690Gear list
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Jul 2, 2013

RX100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads