Pentax 60-250 F4.0.

Started Jun 28, 2013 | User reviews
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
Jun 28, 2013

Since i have had this lens it has performed excellent in terms of IQ and speed, i would recommend anyone wanting a good weather sealed wildlife lens.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
ASR45's score
5.0
Average community score
4.8
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 28, 2013

Thanks for the rating, although not necessary for me as I have been following most of your beautiful shots using that lens. It is #1 on my wish list.

Thanks, Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

 TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greyser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,823Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 28, 2013

Wildlife? I mostly use it for street photography. Great lens indeed!

 Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 28, 2013

Excellent lens with great build quality.  I can see why you use it for wildlike photography.  You might be able to fight off a bear with it if you had to.

I use it mostly for nature and landscape.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to TomWret, Jun 28, 2013

TomWret wrote:

Thanks for the rating, although not necessary for me as I have been following most of your beautiful shots using that lens. It is #1 on my wish list.

Thanks, Tom W(ret)

Tom, do you believe in father christmas, you never know mate.  

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to Greyser, Jun 28, 2013

Greyser wrote:

Wildlife? I mostly use it for street photography. Great lens indeed!

Thats why its a good versatile lens, i also use it for Architecture as well.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to Paphios, Jun 28, 2013

Paphios wrote:

Excellent lens with great build quality. I can see why you use it for wildlike photography. You might be able to fight off a bear with it if you had to.

Lucky for me Pahios, there is not many bears to worry about in the UK.  

I use it mostly for nature and landscape.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,594Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 28, 2013

I've had this lens since May 2009, and I have taken more photos with it than all my other lenses added together. (Because it is so often used at 7 frames per second. For interest, I took over 4300 photos with it at the RAF Cosford Airshow recently!)

It has been drenched with rain many times, and I now don't have the slightest worry about this.

I use it for airshows, motor sports (motor bikes, cars, bike scrambling, & I recently found it perfect for Jet Ski Freestyle), urban candids, and "friendly" wildlife. (It isn't long enough for real birding).

It is sharp fully open, and even better at f/5.6. It complements the K-5IIs superbly for those who strive for maximum sharpness in action.

I sometimes think I could take a holiday with just this lens plus a light-weight wide-angle prime. It is the lens I would keep if I had to lose all except one lens.

The downsides are weight (about 1 kilogram) and, of course, price! I find it best to use a battery grip (with or without a battery) to enable me to carry and use it all day.

(I can't wait to see how it will perform with the future Pentax 1.4x Teleconverter).

 Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to Barry Pearson, Jun 28, 2013

Barry Pearson wrote:

I've had this lens since May 2009, and I have taken more photos with it than all my other lenses added together. (Because it is so often used at 7 frames per second. For interest, I took over 4300 photos with it at the RAF Cosford Airshow recently!)

It has been drenched with rain many times, and I now don't have the slightest worry about this.

I use it for airshows, motor sports (motor bikes, cars, bike scrambling, & I recently found it perfect for Jet Ski Freestyle), urban candids, and "friendly" wildlife. (It isn't long enough for real birding).

It is sharp fully open, and even better at f/5.6. It complements the K-5IIs superbly for those who strive for maximum sharpness in action.

I sometimes think I could take a holiday with just this lens plus a light-weight wide-angle prime. It is the lens I would keep if I had to lose all except one lens.

The downsides are weight (about 1 kilogram) and, of course, price! I find it best to use a battery grip (with or without a battery) to enable me to carry and use it all day.

(I can't wait to see how it will perform with the future Pentax 1.4x Teleconverter).

Barry, nice always here others say about it that have it, i went to cosford some years ago and use to frequent Duxford for the flying legends display, but then we were talking in my film days of Minolta.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Cruchten
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 29, 2013

I kept away from it for a long time, well, until a month ago. then LBA hit me again and I became unable to decide whether to take my Da*200 or 300mm along on vacation. Luckily, my local Pentax store had the solution in stock. I don't regret buying this lens, even though I do prefer fixed lenses. the 60-250 is fun to use and very reliable as well.

-- hide signature --

Paul
http://pc3.smugmug.com/
'Already Eve had an Apple

 Paul Cruchten's gear list:Paul Cruchten's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to Paul Cruchten, Jun 29, 2013

Paul Cruchten wrote:

I kept away from it for a long time, well, until a month ago. then LBA hit me again and I became unable to decide whether to take my Da*200 or 300mm along on vacation. Luckily, my local Pentax store had the solution in stock. I don't regret buying this lens, even though I do prefer fixed lenses. the 60-250 is fun to use and very reliable as well.

Great to hear.  

-- hide signature --

Paul
http://pc3.smugmug.com/
'Already Eve had an Apple

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Cruchten
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 29, 2013

Yeah, sometimes indecisiveness is bloody expensive ... but it feels good;)

-- hide signature --

Paul
http://pc3.smugmug.com/
'Already Eve had an Apple

 Paul Cruchten's gear list:Paul Cruchten's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tukalook
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Pentax 60-250 F4.0.
In reply to ASR45, Jul 6, 2013

I have been using this lense for 15 months , its so good you wish all your gear could perform as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads