Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Questions
Rigby
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?
Jun 28, 2013

I'm in a position where I can't first play with a GR before buying it and I really want to know if it is a camera that can actually fit in my pocket. Is it something I could put in my (relatively tight) jeans pocket and walk around with without being annoyed by?

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have it!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Logan3-1639
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?
In reply to Rigby, Jun 28, 2013

Rigby wrote:

I'm in a position where I can't first play with a GR before buying it and I really want to know if it is a camera that can actually fit in my pocket. Is it something I could put in my (relatively tight) jeans pocket and walk around with without being annoyed by?

Depends on your annoyance threshold. It's a tight fit (too tight for me and I'm slender) in jeans pockets, unless you're wearing baggy jeans. It fits comfortably in cargo shorts/pants pockets. I seldom carry it in a pocket. If I'm on a photo walk, I'm carrying it in my hand, ready to shoot; otherwise it fits perfectly in a small Tamrac 5691 case, along with a spare battery and memory card, slung over my shoulder. I don't go anywhere without it.

Logan3-1639's gear list:Logan3-1639's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fooddudeone
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?

Yes, it is truly pocketable. Same footprint as my iPhone 4s (when layed down flat) and thick as my iphone stacked on top of my slim card case/wallet. Of course it will buldge a little; but what doesn't? Even an iphone or wallet buldges a little. I carry it everyday as easily as my iphone and wallet in my front jeans pocket. Also, my jeans are "slim-fit"

Ned-B
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?

As others have mentioned, it's truly pocketable. I recently came back from 4,000 mile trip through the western states and nat'l parks. The GR was in my cargo pants or jeans the whole time and it wasn't tight and easy to pull out when a photo op presented itself.

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?

I would say no for a relatively tight jean pocket, yes for any regular pants pocket (I carry it in my pants pocket all the time).

ashenwreck
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jun 28, 2013

Is there a dust concern getting inside doing this or is it strictly related to when the lens is extended out? A rather newb-ish question, I realize.

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?

Pockatable, i had a GXR and two CX cams,

the GXR was not pockatable and i wondered why, came to the conclusion that anything above a height of 60 mm gets difficult to put in a pocket, combined with its depth it was impossible,

the GR is in the same range as a CX, longer, but that was no problem for being pockatable.

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Ned-B
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to ashenwreck, Jun 28, 2013

Is there a dust concern getting inside doing this or is it strictly related to when the lens is extended out? A rather newb-ish question, I realize.

I never had any dust issues with GRD IV and so far no issues with GR. Yes you need to be more careful with the camera powered on and lens extended, but that's why I have a Giotto Rocket blower:)

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,777
Like?
In reply to ashenwreck, Jun 28, 2013

ashenwreck wrote:

Ah hah! If you carry things in the pocket it is a good idea if there is nothing else in the pocket at the same time such as keys, coins or lint.  Years ago there was a lot of noise made on this forum about dust getting inside the GX model in particular.  The blame was laid at Ricoh QC but I always had a notion that pocket lint might have had something to do with it.

Pocketing cameras in clothing must alwasy carry some risk.

In defence it was said by those that had internal dust problems that they had never pocketed their cameras.

I had a theory then that the internal dust was coming from static electricity in the camera body caused by the weather conditions, heat changes, and the other type of clothing worn.

Yes the camera will fit in a jeans pocket, I just slip it into a small draw string micro-fibre bag first.  Maybe I am just over-cautious, but then I am not fitting a screen protector so maybe I should be (over cautious).

No lcd scratches so far - but it is early days. My eight year old GRD has no screen damage and has never had a screen protector fitted.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Snap Judgements
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

Rigby wrote:

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have it!

The GR V is not pocketable in the manner you described. The Canon S110 might do that for you.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#384,454

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rigby, Jun 29, 2013

easily. i can put in my jeans pocket

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Snap Judgements, Jun 29, 2013

you guys have crzy stric judgement of what is pocketable. I have never carried my GR any other way. Its of a size that you just naturally put it in your pocket

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Jon A T
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?

Give it a test, go purchase a king size pack of cigarettes  and carry that in your front pocket. The GR is just marginally larger than that pack of cigarettes minus the little bump for the lens and grip. On the positive side, if someone asks what's that in your pocket, can always say "its my cigarettes".

cheers

Jon

-- hide signature --

Jon

Jon A T's gear list:Jon A T's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
In reply to ashenwreck, Jun 29, 2013

I don't know. Heard from two that they have encountered dust issue, so far nothing on mine yet (touch wood)  When the camera is not in my pocket, it is either in my case or placed LCD upwards, not sure if this helps.  Bottom line: it is not completely dust proof, so the worst case is to send it to Ricoh for cleaning when the inevitable happens.  I guess it is still better than D600

ashenwreck wrote:

wbrandsma
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jun 29, 2013

You never fail to forget and mention it, do you Tom?

We are practically neighbours now and when we photograph together you always warn me how to keep my cameras safe from dust. You delibaretily moved to the Netherlands in 2008, because you thought I did something wrong with my GX100 in 2007 (I still think you know how often I had dust in that camera). I still thank you for that. What I learned from you that it is best to keep my camera home in the box, sealed that is. We discovered, well you did,
that I never had my camera in my jeans pockets, but instead always had the camera ready in my hand. Always ON, with the lens extracted. It just had to be electricity of some sort. First suggestion was to use no battery to reduce the Voltage within me, but that left me unhappy. I saw numerous photo opportunities, but everytime I came home without images. The second suggestion was to stay home and spent more time on dpreview instead. That worked very well, again thank you Tom, but left my wife unhappy. I neglected her and my kids.

When Tom returned to Australia. I picked up photography again. Since then I never had dust again. So best things to do are, don't keep a camera in your jeans pocket and when still concerned invite Tom instead for a beer (although he is not really a party man).
--
Wouter Brandsma
http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/

Russell Dawkins
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jun 29, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Yes the camera will fit in a jeans pocket, I just slip it into a small draw string micro-fibre bag first.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Any tips on a well-fitting micro-fibre bag, please?

Russell Dawkins's gear list:Russell Dawkins's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143
Like?

Rigby wrote:

Is it something I could put in my (relatively tight) jeans pocket and walk around with without being annoyed by?

It depends on the size of your pockets. The dimensions are online, find something similar in size and stuff it in your pocket. A lot of jeans are too tight to fit a cell phone in the front pocket.

mack13
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 29, 2013

I don't have a dust problem because I can't find one to purchase.  B&H told me they have no idea when they will be available.

JoeNapa
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 29, 2013

It's a little smaller than my Yashica T4 and I carried that in my pockets for years.

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,728
Like?

Rigby wrote:

Since you wrote two days ago that you are unaware of any stores in Australia that have the GR in stock, one solution would be to wait until some arrive in Vanbar or Camera House. Alternatively, look for cameras that are similar in size whether new or used, such as the GR IV and earlier models or Nikon's Coolpix A.

If the Coolpix A fits, the GR should also fit because even though it's 0.2 inches wider (4.6" vs 4.4") the Coolpix A is taller (2.5" vs 2.4") and fatter (1.6" vs 1.4"). The GR IV is slightly smaller than the GR, 4.3"x2.4"x1.3" vs 4.6"x2.4"x1.4".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads