Is AutoFocus more practice than manualfocus?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Is AutoFocus more practice than manualfocus?
In reply to josbiker, 10 months ago

OK, but for me it is irrelevant the GH-3 35-100 combination... OTOH, I would like to see that lens combined with the G-6 or E-P5. So...

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ernstbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?

josbiker wrote:

Pedagydusz wrote:

If I understand correctly your point, I would say that the reviewers usually refer to resolution obtained under MF conditions because they want to give a value that is always right, a limit of what that camera/lens combination is capable. In the case of MFT, where the precision of CDAF is very high, may be that is not so important. But with Reflex cameras (with mirror, and a separate AF sensor) there are frequent, very frequent, common really, back-focusing and front-focusing problems, that vary from one camera/lens combination to the next.

So if the reviewers were to give numbers concerning the performance of the camera/lens combination on AF conditions, that might be good for one, but meaningless for another person with identical equipment.

So, what I want is a review that tells me what a camera can do, at best. It is up to me to reach that or not, but at least I know the limit.

I hope this helps

-- hide signature --

I like to know the numbers for a given combination e.g GH3 with the 35-100 /2,8 lens and with this number i have some thing concrete and not something vague or words!

Bob Tullis earlier in this thread already gave you the number, however we still do not know what is the question.

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +18 more
josbiker
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pedagydusz, 10 months ago

Pedagydusz wrote:

OK, but for me it is irrelevant the GH-3 35-100 combination... OTOH, I would like to see that lens combined with the G-6 or E-P5. So...

-- hide signature --

What do you mean with SO..........

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
josbiker
Like?
In reply to ernstbk, 10 months ago

ernstbk wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Pedagydusz wrote:

If I understand correctly your point, I would say that the reviewers usually refer to resolution obtained under MF conditions because they want to give a value that is always right, a limit of what that camera/lens combination is capable. In the case of MFT, where the precision of CDAF is very high, may be that is not so important. But with Reflex cameras (with mirror, and a separate AF sensor) there are frequent, very frequent, common really, back-focusing and front-focusing problems, that vary from one camera/lens combination to the next.

So if the reviewers were to give numbers concerning the performance of the camera/lens combination on AF conditions, that might be good for one, but meaningless for another person with identical equipment.

So, what I want is a review that tells me what a camera can do, at best. It is up to me to reach that or not, but at least I know the limit.

I hope this helps

-- hide signature --

I like to know the numbers for a given combination e.g GH3 with the 35-100 /2,8 lens and with this number i have some thing concrete and not something vague or words!

Bob Tullis earlier in this thread already gave you the number, however we still do not know what is the question.

Let us assume I take a picture with a e.g. Canon 650 with a given lens zoom in AUTOFOCUS , the resolution in lines is e.g. 1450 lines after the measurement.

I do the same (in AF) with a GH3 with e.g. the 35-100/2.8 lens in AUTOFOCUS and now I measure have 2200 lines!

I do the same with a Canon 5D MK3 with a zoom lens (the best) in AUTO FOCUS and now i measure e.g. 2300 lines

So i always use a very good zoom lens and not the best prime lenses because that is the way i like to take my pictures (and perhaps a lot of us)!

I do the same with the Canon 5D mk3 with the very best prime lens and I get 3300 lines. Wow much better I (we) I think.

But that is a shortsighted view, because I do not wanted this lens and I never buy such a lens!

So if the reviewers gives us only the value of the very best prime lens e.g. a macro lens than it is for me and perhaps a lot of other people who only wants a very good zoom lens and we use only zoom lens in AF that is not information I am (we) looking for!

There are a lot of reasons to use very good zoom lenses, so, please, no discussion on this point

Surprise, surprise there is just a little resolution difference between a FF Canon and a GH3 in AUTO FOCUS!

I like to know the difference between a FF camera in AUTOFOCUS and the speed and e.g the GH3 under the SAME conditions!

So than I know what I (we) wanted to buy

I can (you can) made mistakes if you do not know the figures!

So for me the results with the zooms in AUTOFUCUS are important and the results of prime much less

So for many of us (i think) it is much more informative when you know that number when you have the only need for a Gh3 with one or two zoom lenses and you used these zoom lenses in 97% of your shots.

I assume that there are a lot of intelligent people in this forum who understand my questions and the ones who do not understand my questions so please give answers and open door answers?

Josbiker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,367Gear list
Like?

josbiker wrote:

Let us assume I take a picture with a e.g. Canon 650 with a given lens zoom in AUTOFOCUS , the resolution in lines is e.g. 1450 lines after the measurement.

I do the same (in AF) with a GH3 with e.g. the 35-100/2.8 lens in AUTOFOCUS and now I measure have 2200 lines!

I do the same with a Canon 5D MK3 with a zoom lens (the best) in AUTO FOCUS and now i measure e.g. 2300 lines

So i always use a very good zoom lens and not the best prime lenses because that is the way i like to take my pictures (and perhaps a lot of us)!

I do the same with the Canon 5D mk3 with the very best prime lens and I get 3300 lines. Wow much better I (we) I think.

But that is a shortsighted view, because I do not wanted this lens and I never buy such a lens!

So if the reviewers gives us only the value of the very best prime lens e.g. a macro lens than it is for me and perhaps a lot of other people who only wants a very good zoom lens and we use only zoom lens in AF that is not information I am (we) looking for!

There are a lot of reasons to use very good zoom lenses, so, please, no discussion on this point

Surprise, surprise there is just a little resolution difference between a FF Canon and a GH3 in AUTO FOCUS!

I like to know the difference between a FF camera in AUTOFOCUS and the speed and e.g the GH3 under the SAME conditions!

So for me the results with the zooms in AUTOFUCUS are important and the results of prime much less

So for many of us (i think) it is much more informative when you know that number when you have the only need for a Gh3 with one or two zoom lenses and you used these zoom lenses in 97% of your shots.

I assume that there are a lot of intelligent people in this forum who understand my questions and the ones who do not understand my questions so please give answers and open door answers?

Pedagydusz has already given you an answer close to what I would say, but let me try just once.

1. DPR and other testers try to give us the best figures that the camera / lens can provide, so that we know what is possible with the equipment

2. The camera tests give figures for the sensor resolution

3. The lens tests give the range of results through the apertures/zooms/across the sensor space.

4. You are asking for auto-focus results. But when the camera/lens focuses and there is no camera shake etc. the results should be the same as the best possible.

5. Poorer autofocus/camera shake/shutter shock results will vary according to the user's handling and approach.

6. If you are getting worse results than the optimum, then the solution is in your hands, not the testers.

If you cannot see this, could you please supply the test protocol for 'your' intended autofocus test, please?

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
josbiker
Like?
In reply to Michael J Davis, 10 months ago

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Pedagydusz has already given you an answer close to what I would say, but let me try just once.

1. DPR and other testers try to give us the best figures that the camera / lens can provide, so that we know what is possible with the equipment

3. The lens tests give the range of results through the apertures/zooms/across the sensor space.

4. You are asking for auto-focus results. But when the camera/lens focuses and there is no camera shake etc. the results should be the same as the best possible.

5. Poorer autofocus/camera shake/shutter shock results will vary according to the user's handling and approach.

6. If you are getting worse results than the optimum, then the solution is in your hands, not the testers.

If you cannot see this, could you please supply the test protocol for 'your' intended autofocus test, please?

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

4.  But when the camera/lens focuses and there is no camera shake etc. the results should be the same as the best possible.

That is not the true there is a big difference!

When you shot on a tripod and you shot in manual mode and compare the resolution in autofocus than you have in autofocus less resolution!

And that is the figure i like to know and this is neglected in review and tests!

Josbiker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993Gear list
Like?
No!

josbiker wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

4. But when the camera/lens focuses and there is no camera shake etc. the results should be the same as the best possible.

When you shot on a tripod and you shot in manual mode and compare the resolution in autofocus than you have in autofocus less resolution!

And that is the figure i like to know and this is neglected in review and tests!

Josbiker

No! No! NO! NO!

You seem to assume, that a lens performs differently when manually focused than it does when autofocused. Several posters have tried to explain to you that this is not the case.

Using any lens under less than ideal conditions will of course give less than ideal results, but apart from the problems with less than precise autofocus of PDAF, there is no difference between manual focus and autofocus. On a CDAF camera, autofocus is as precise as manual focus. PDAF can have back- or front focus problems, but that will be sample variations, not a general problem for the camera/lens combination.

Do you really think that a lens performs worse when used with autofocus, and on what data is this assumption based?

PS - it does not help that you write some words bold and underlined.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Konica KD-200 Zoom Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
josbiker
Like?
Re: No!
In reply to Klaus dk, 10 months ago

Klaus dk wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

4. But when the camera/lens focuses and there is no camera shake etc. the results should be the same as the best possible.

Josbiker

No! No! NO! NO!

You seem to assume, that a lens performs differently when manually focused than it does when autofocused. Several posters have tried to explain to you that this is not the case.

Using any lens under less than ideal conditions will of course give less than ideal results, but apart from the problems with less than precise autofocus of PDAF, there is no difference between manual focus and autofocus. On a CDAF camera, autofocus is as precise as manual focus. PDAF can have back- or front focus problems, but that will be sample variations, not a general problem for the camera/lens combination.

Do you really think that a lens performs worse when used with autofocus, and on what data is this assumption based?

Yes,Yes, Yes

http://www.traumflieger.de/reports/Videos/Traumflieger-DSLR-Woche/DER-Autofokus-Test-DSLR-Wo-18-Teil-1::405.html?XTCsid=670114e4dc1be6cec49d1f521e60087a

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
josbiker
Like?

josbiker wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Josbiker

No! No! NO! NO!

Yes,Yes, Yes

http://www.traumflieger.de/reports/Videos/Traumflieger-DSLR-Woche/DER-Autofokus-Test-DSLR-Wo-18-Teil-1::405.html?XTCsid=670114e4dc1be6cec49d1f521e60087a

Do not blame me if you do not understand German.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
glanzrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

I understand what you mean; in short it´s the difference between clinical tests and the practical use.

But it will be difficult to make standard tests in field conditions...

I´ve had many different cameras in the last decade and I often had problems with the AF-results of

PDAF- system cams in sense of back or front focusing ( I admit looking at 100 %.... )

With my OM-D the results are really much more constant.  But how to test this in objective way?

-- hide signature --

bert

josbiker
Like?
In reply to glanzrabe, 10 months ago

glanzrabe wrote:

I understand what you mean; in short it´s the difference between clinical tests and the practical use.

But it will be difficult to make standard tests in field conditions...

I´ve had many different cameras in the last decade and I often had problems with the AF-results of

PDAF- system cams in sense of back or front focusing ( I admit looking at 100 %.... )

With my OM-D the results are really much more constant. But how to test this in objective way?

-- hide signature --

bert

At last one (probably very inteligent :-)) who understands me and now the rest, come on ?

@ glanzrabe an everybody else: difficult is not relevant we need the correct info to go on and we all use our camera"s not in a clinic but in the practice, and the most of us use the auto focus in our all day shooting!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
josbiker
Like?

josbiker wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Josbiker

No! No! NO! NO!

Yes,Yes, Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEwwZuQqKM

look at the figures, etc, etc, and print and remember:-)!

Josbiker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993Gear list
Like?

josbiker wrote:

I think I understand German quite as well as you understand English.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Konica KD-200 Zoom Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,360Gear list
Like?

Did you read Roger Cicala's article? It shows that phase detect autofocus is as accurate as careful manual focus, i.e. very, very accurate.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
With my eyes, it is

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?

josbiker wrote:

In most cases i used the autofocus (97%) of my camera/lens and NOT the resolution in manual mode and/of on a tripod mode shown in TESTS and Reviews!

Because the combination lens/camera is the factor that counts and not the labour circumstances with the best lens on a tripod.

So the quality (resolution) that one can received in AUTOFOCUS counts.

So in my opinion is autofocus quality much more important.

Who think in the same way or not?

Josbiker

Stop shouting.

I understand.

What you want is a consistent measureable figure for AutoFocus performance with regard to sharpness, averaged across real-world examples using a camera + lens combination.

This would need to be repeatable, accurate and consistent-across-systems. (Like MTF resolution charts etc)

I don't see it happening, myself.

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?

josbiker wrote:

Pedagydusz wrote:

I hope this helps

-- hide signature --

Settle down, chill a little. Bob already supplied you with THE numbers, 42.

If you are going to post in English then get a better translator or find the question posted on the net and copy paste it. Show some examples even. For example a MF image and an AF image of say some tight converging lines printed out at 300dpi on a laser printer. I've read through all the posts and I still don't get what you are asking/posting.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,019Gear list
Like?
AF performance...

Is dependent as much on the camera as the lens.

12-60mm is fast and accurate on an E-5, but disappointing on a PEN

The camera a 20mm 1.7 is mounted on could have a noticeable effect on focus speed.

A big 4/3 lens may miss focus w a small body (E-4xx, E-6xx) and perform better w a battery grip added.

If you're concerned w real world AF performance, look to user reviews here and elsewhere, the clinical tests won't cover all possible parameters, but can tell you how good the lens is once properly focused.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
josbiker
Like?

josbiker wrote:

josbiker wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

josbiker wrote:

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Josbiker

No! No! NO! NO!

Yes,Yes, Yes

look at the figures, etc, etc, and print and remember:-)!

Josbiker

Where is the comment on this youtube about AUTOFOCUS resolution info?

Anybody?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
josbiker
Like?
Re: AF performance...
In reply to Art_P, 10 months ago

Art_P wrote:

Is dependent as much on the camera as the lens.

12-60mm is fast and accurate on an E-5, but disappointing on a PEN

The camera a 20mm 1.7 is mounted on could have a noticeable effect on focus speed.

A big 4/3 lens may miss focus w a small body (E-4xx, E-6xx) and perform better w a battery grip added.

If you're concerned w real world AF performance, look to user reviews here and elsewhere, the clinical tests won't cover all possible parameters, but can tell you how good the lens is once properly focused.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Far from the question and far from the subject!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads