DSLR user impressed with GF5/20mm 1.7 as second camera

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Photos
trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
DSLR user impressed with GF5/20mm 1.7 as second camera
Jun 27, 2013

I am a Nikon DSLR user normally but for a long time have toyed with the idea of owning a smaller camera but with greater IQ than my phone to take to places I wouldn't normally take my larger camera.  I have always had a soft spot for Panasonic's GF series and the GF5 UK price drop was all it took and acquiring a 20mm 1.7 at a decent price.  Here are a few from a recent trip with friends to Mallorca where the camera only ventured out on a day or two.  Photography here was certainly not my first objective on this trip (neither second nor third or anywhere close) but solely because I knew I'd have an opportunity or two for a shot.  in such a small package I have nothing but praise for this combo; I am very very happy with them as a secondary 'fun' camera 

CC welcome but these were merely snapshots.  All aperture priority I believe except for manual and manual focus I think on the sunrise shots as the 20mm was struggling in the dim light.

Through the aeroplane window

Sunrise (not deliberately up early for this for once, solely because I couldn't sleep)

Sunrise

An awkward composition I know, but it details the moment and that's what I wanted from the camera

I was impressed with the 20mm's close(ish) focus also

A hurried shot of almonds before the market seller noticed.  A DSLR would have been too conspicuous

Another hurried market shot

I'd heard diffraction kicks in beyond f/4 on m4/3 but I personally found f/5.6 sharper overall and the added DoF on this shot helped also

Thanks for looking!  Hoping to set foot in this forum a little more now, Matt

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR user impressed with GF5/20mm 1.7 as second camera
In reply to trespassing, Jun 27, 2013

Nice captures and you are finding what many others discovered, size doesn't matter as much in the hands of a skilled user.

BTW that out the window shot is super, until I read the caption I was pondering the perspective.

thanks for the insight and images.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alcelc
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Jun 28, 2013

trespassing wrote:

I am a Nikon DSLR user normally but for a long time have toyed with the idea of owning a smaller camera but with greater IQ than my phone to take to places I wouldn't normally take my larger camera. I have always had a soft spot for Panasonic's GF series and the GF5 UK price drop was all it took and acquiring a 20mm 1.7 at a decent price. Here are a few from a recent trip with friends to Mallorca where the camera only ventured out on a day or two. Photography here was certainly not my first objective on this trip (neither second nor third or anywhere close) but solely because I knew I'd have an opportunity or two for a shot. in such a small package I have nothing but praise for this combo; I am very very happy with them as a secondary 'fun' camera

CC welcome but these were merely snapshots. All aperture priority I believe except for manual and manual focus I think on the sunrise shots as the 20mm was struggling in the dim light.

Through the aeroplane window

Sunrise (not deliberately up early for this for once, solely because I couldn't sleep)

Sunrise

An awkward composition I know, but it details the moment and that's what I wanted from the camera

I was impressed with the 20mm's close(ish) focus also

A hurried shot of almonds before the market seller noticed. A DSLR would have been too conspicuous

Another hurried market shot

I'd heard diffraction kicks in beyond f/4 on m4/3 but I personally found f/5.6 sharper overall and the added DoF on this shot helped also

Thanks for looking! Hoping to set foot in this forum a little more now, Matt

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Thanks for the excellent photo.

Regarding the remark in the last picture, I'm afraid that it may not be true. Generally MFT lenses should be quite good at their widest open, best stopped down 1 or 2. Diffraction would kick in from f/8 ~ f/11 onward. So, it is just the opposite to FF/APSC lenses that they are generally at their best around f/8 or f/11.

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
trespassing
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Jun 28, 2013

lambert4 wrote:

Nice captures and you are finding what many others discovered, size doesn't matter as much in the hands of a skilled user.

BTW that out the window shot is super, until I read the caption I was pondering the perspective.

thanks for the insight and images.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I appreciate it.  I too was pleased with the window shot as I've never had one come out that well before.  Thanks, Matt

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

trespassing
Like?
In reply to alcelc, Jun 28, 2013

alcelc wrote:

trespassing wrote:

Student in Brighton, UK

Regarding the remark in the last picture, I'm afraid that it may not be true. Generally MFT lenses should be quite good at their widest open, best stopped down 1 or 2. Diffraction would kick in from f/8 ~ f/11 onward. So, it is just the opposite to FF/APSC lenses that they are generally at their best around f/8 or f/11.

Thanks for that, that's very useful to know and I shall bear that in mind next time. Hopefully then my f/5.6 should have been appropriate enough to gain DoF while still avoiding diffraction. Thanks again, Matt

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Narcosynthesis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485
Like?
In reply to alcelc, Jun 28, 2013

alcelc wrote:

Thanks for the excellent photo.

Yeah, it works effectively as a counterpart to the crop factor - the more you crop the image, the more diffraction issues will become apparent.

Where you may have worked to a rough upper limit of f22 on a FF SLR, on a crop sensor SLR you are going to be limiting it closer to f16, and on a four thirds to somewhere around f11 - if you take it to the extremes many small chip compact cameras with manual control won't allow you to use an aperture tighter than f8, and if you go the opposite way up to a medium or large format system then you may easily find yourself tightening the aperture even further for depth of field (while still retaining quality).

As for the shots and the GF5, that is pretty much exactly why I bought my GF2 and for those purposes it is absolutely superb. I will admit to a preference for the optical viewfinder of my SLR in certain situations, but for all the times I don't want to be carrying around the bulk of an SLR and large lenses mft is king.

I have enjoyed mft to the point I am debating whether it is worth upgrading the SLR body or trading in the Canon gear for a more rounded mft setup... (sadly given the price difference between the Canon 10-22mm and the Olympus 7-14mm, it looks like I won't be able to afford a switch anytime soon)

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis
www.illaname.deviantart.com

Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
You'll end up
In reply to trespassing, Jun 28, 2013

selling your DSLR!

I added the GF1 + 20mm pancake to my Canon gear (7D and some good fast glass) as a second camera. Now, some years later, the GF1 is still my second camera, but the first one has become the Olympus E-M5. They share a nice set of lenses.

The canon glass has gone except for a 300mm f2.8 that sits on my 7D permanently. But most of the time this combo is just collecting dust and one day I'll sell it.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads