Like?
New Canon 70D specs leaked!
Jun 27, 2013

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/canon-eos-70d-spec-list/

Looks good! Let's just see how much it'll hurt the wallet

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Intros64
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 70D specs leaked!
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 27, 2013

If finally these specs will prove to be true it looks that my trusty 40D will get a companion. 

Intros64's gear list:Intros64's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?

Someone already started a thread about this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51711480

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

This camera looks good and rival to Nikon D7100 & hopefully price is around the same or less.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,669
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, Jun 28, 2013

Tapper123 wrote:

Someone already started a thread about this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51711480

...and that thread has already filled up, so might as well continue discussion here.

I love what Canon is doing with 70D, great specs, should be a real nice camera.   I will be sticking with 60D, however.   More than enough camera for me for my still photography.  My extended foray into DSLR video (used to have XL-1 long ago) ended with a conclusion that I still want a dedicated video device - so I got a Canon XA20 on pre-order.  I will still use 60D video as a secondary, but it will be mainly pulling stills duty.

Sdaniella
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
New Canon 70D... finally, offering Multiple Exposure on a Canon APS-C dSLR...
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 29, 2013

New Canon 70D... finally, offering

● Multiple Exposure (new) on a Canon APS-C dSLR... FF EOS dSLRS (1DX/C, 5DMkIII, already have it... SO,... WHEN will the PowerShot G get it??? Next I hope... (additionally, offer M.E. with mixing jpegs, not just mixing RAW)

and

● that also has Canon's "ExpSim" Exposure Simulation LV... (since 20Da/1DMkIII/1DsMkIII/5DMkII/40D... etc)

and

● Canon's classic Powershot VASS (Vari-Angle Swivel-Screen) which only showed up on the 60D kind of late... (Powershot G's having it since their inception... but EOS FF still lack... even if an oem modular one... (not stuck with built-in one to allow for flexible variant options/upgrades)... I wish!

and

● all with Canon's classic EOS-1 dual controls 'thumbwheel-and-fingerdial' on all higher EOS FF dSLRs (which allows one to adjust both aperture and shutter speeds simultaneously... ideal in Full M/M ISO... watching realtime dof/exposure simulation 'as one adjusts' without LV image interruption... and zero TTL metering needed... (I just hope this 70D "XXD" isn't as severely crippled as the 60D was, control-wise, (missing live wb; which even Powershots have) below the higher 7D's controls.

HDR... thanks... but please not the inflexible simple version!!! I prefer more FULL M control, as well as M ISO... with ExpSimLV, HDR can be so much more interesting creatively.

I wish my FF 5DMkII had a 'modular VASS', Mixable JPEG Multiple-Exposure (not just mixable RAW, and flexible HDR for stills...

-- hide signature --

aka: sdyue (not 'Steve D Yue'; my husband: RIP)
Hope to migrate over to my more extensively used 'sdyue' profile under a new dpr forum profile name: SDaniella

Sdaniella's gear list:Sdaniella's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,742
Like?

Sorry I couldn't resist

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,953Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 70D... finally, offering Multiple Exposure on a Canon APS-C dSLR...
In reply to Sdaniella, Jun 29, 2013

Steve D Yue wrote:

New Canon 70D... finally, offering

● Multiple Exposure (new) on a Canon APS-C dSLR... FF EOS dSLRS (1DX/C, 5DMkIII, already have it... SO,... WHEN will the PowerShot G get it??? Next I hope... (additionally, offer M.E. with mixing jpegs, not just mixing RAW)

Yawn.  Anything that can be done in a more controlled manner in post-processing isn't a big deal, much like the HDR.  I can understand why these are done on point & shoots - most people using them aren't going to be as inclined to do much, if any, PP.

Mark

exactopposite
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

It's interesting to see how many assumptions are made from a spec list.

Just because it has the same # of AF points as the 7d doesn't mean it will (or will not) have the same AF system as the 7d. How many of them are cross type? Will it have spot focus and zone focus like the 7d? Will it have the custom settings for tracking like the 7d? We don't know yet.

Until it is tested there is no information of the performance of the sensor. There is no information about dynamic range of high ISO performance.

Will the ergonomics be like the 60d (and 6d) with the button layout that is different from other Canon cameras with no joystick or will they bring back the joystick and the more common button layout?

How many shots will the buffer hold?

CF of SD? Single or dual slots?

I think it looks like an interesting release based on the leaked info (assuming it's correct) but I don't think it's reasonable to draw so many conclusions from such a small amount of information.   Also, as far as waiting to buy one goes, I'll take the camera that exists over the one that doesn't any day. People seem to be getting way ahead of themselves here.

Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Jun 29, 2013

thomas2279f wrote:

This camera looks good and rival to Nikon D7100 & hopefully price is around the same or less.

Actually the 60D rivaled the D5100 and the 70D should rival the D5200 if I'm not mistaken. The 7D = D7000 so 7DII should rival the D7100 shouldn't it?

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,164Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, Jun 29, 2013

Don Richardson wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

Actually the 60D rivaled the D5100 and the 70D should rival the D5200 if I'm not mistaken. The 7D = D7000 so 7DII should rival the D7100 shouldn't it?

-- hide signature --

7D counterpart for Nikon is D300S.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?
In reply to rwbaron, Jun 29, 2013

rwbaron wrote:

Don Richardson wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Not disbelieving but If so I've been mixed up for a while. Would some others chime in and verify this for me please.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229
Like?
Focus 5X faster in Live view - who needs that?

I am scratching my head. Does it mean it will AF in movie mode?

msapra85
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, Jun 29, 2013

Don Richardson wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Don Richardson wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Not disbelieving but If so I've been mixed up for a while. Would some others chime in and verify this for me please.

-- hide signature --

Yes 7D is up against D300s and 7D ii will be up against D400, if the later comes.

msapra85's gear list:msapra85's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
GuardianFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus 5X faster in Live view - who needs that?
In reply to nofumble, Jun 30, 2013

I am scratching my head. Does it mean it will AF in movie mode?

On cameras like the Nikon D7100 when you hold the shutter button down to auto focus in live view it's so painfully slow that you want to bang your head. The 70D will auto focus in live view way way more fast. Useful fast. Fun fast.  Friendly fast. Happy fast.

GuardianFlash's gear list:GuardianFlash's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
vlad2304
Regular MemberPosts: 242Gear list
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 30, 2013

It is quoted that Canon 70D will have:

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+

I understand it will be brand new sensor and reasonable 20.2 MP make me hope that it will be very good low light shooter. At least, I want to believe that it will be on the par with Nikon's 24 MP sensor.

vlad2304's gear list:vlad2304's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +6 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868Gear list
Like?
In reply to vlad2304, Jun 30, 2013

vlad2304 wrote:

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+

I understand it will be brand new sensor and reasonable 20.2 MP make me hope that it will be very good low light shooter. At least, I want to believe that it will be on the par with Nikon's 24 MP sensor.

Brand new sensor? isn't it the same sensor that is in my 5D III except that it will be a crop? could be a good back up to my 5D III btw...

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Woody W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467
Like?
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Jun 30, 2013

SpartanWarrior wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+

Brand new sensor? isn't it the same sensor that is in my 5D III except that it will be a crop? could be a good back up to my 5D III btw...

Using the same resolution does not mean that it is the same technology - especially comparing full frame to APS-C. To use "the same sensor as the 5D III", or even the same technology, the resolution on the APS would have to be much lower.

I'm just hoping that whatever is coming out with the 70D was worth the wait...

-- hide signature --

- Woody -
Equipment: Enough. For now.
Quote: 'The only thing some people will believe is their own eyes. But in the realm of the quality of a printed image, is there really anything else that can be believed? '

Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Jun 30, 2013

SpartanWarrior wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+

How could it be the same sensor "except that it will be a crop"? What does that even mean? It won't be a crop from the 5D3 sensor. That is, it won't have the same pixel density. It will be much higher. 20.2MP on an APS-C sensor is more than twice the density of 22.3MP on a FF sensor. And it won't have the same number of pixels. Of course it's a brand new sensor.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, Jun 30, 2013

Alastair Norcross wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+

How could it be the same sensor "except that it will be a crop"? What does that even mean? It won't be a crop from the 5D3 sensor. That is, it won't have the same pixel density. It will be much higher. 20.2MP on an APS-C sensor is more than twice the density of 22.3MP on a FF sensor. And it won't have the same number of pixels. Of course it's a brand new sensor.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

I think we need an engineer who understands sensors to explain what Canon has done.  Is this really a new sensor or did Canon make just enough tweaks in the 18 mp to claim improved resolution?  I think Canon did some tweaking mainly for marketing purposes and Canon is using the same manufacturing process.  Apparently they need to make a major revision in order to move to 24 mp and beyond.  That may also be true for making improvements in DR and noise reduction.

Are there any engineers out there who understand and can explain sensor technology?

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads