* Canon 70d * its here!

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Re: * Canon 70d * its here!
In reply to Tapper123, Jun 28, 2013

Tapper123 wrote:

Nice! I had a 60D and it was very good. I have often missed it. After experimenting with mirrorless cameras, I've decided to go with having one pocket camera (RX100 II) and a DSLR. Best of both worlds, and no compromises.

Hope we get many more details about the 70D soon.

EDIT: list of specs...

Canon EOS 70D Specifications

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+
  • 19pt AF System (All Cross Type)
  • 7fps
  • Built-in WiFi
  • 3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 12,800 Maximum
  • Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus
  • Full HD Video
  • HDR
  • Multiexposure Mode
  • LP-E6 Battery

Does anyone know if the viewfinder is 100% coverage?

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,176Gear list
Like?
Canon WIFI can Remote Shoot even without a Router in the field!
In reply to rjjr, Jun 28, 2013

rjjr wrote: •Built-in WiFi...Don't need it.

Do not underestimate Canon's WIFI. It has many hidden abilities not available n other camera.

Canon's WIFI is unique in that:

• WIFI work even without a router, directly connect your cellphone to your camera
  • Ability to Remote Shooting, Remote Control your camera in the field is huge
  • It can also Stream-LIVE-VIEW directly to your phone from far away.

versus other manfuactures:

• WIFI is only use for wireless transfer
  • WIFI must be connected to a wireless router, so its only useful for studio/home use
  • Panasonic wifi also enable remote shooting, but does't stream-Live-View to your phone so you have no idea what you framing is
 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,956
Like?
Re: Plenty of motivation to wait and read.
In reply to bugbait, Jun 28, 2013

bugbait wrote:

Has to be CLEANER shadow recovery than D7100 because its images are a heap better than the old Canon 18 MP and more pixels equals a heck of a lot more cropping ability.

Wow, 20Mp against 18Mp means you get 5% more pixels in linear resolution - that means that you now can crop by an amazing 5%.

Cropping is something for which you should get a jolt of direct current from your mouse every time you access the crop tool in your image editor!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,176Gear list
Like?
@bugbait - I suggest you just buy a Nikon D7100, give Nikon a shot

bugbait wrote:

...But far from very impressive. Might be good enough for my buying into Canon instead of Nikon for my winter build. Has to be CLEANER shadow recovery than D7100 because its images are a heap better than the old Canon 18 MP and more pixels equals a heck of a lot more cropping ability.

From what I read, Toshiba sensor use in Nikon D7100 is superb. I doubt canon can exceed it, but canon should be able to match it being that its only a 20.2mp sensor vs Nikon's 24mp

I see mention of the new contrast AF system being 5x faster than I suppose the EOS M original firmware as a standard. So maybe faster than the competition maybe still behind.

Have you try Nikon Live View? Give you a hint, its no speed demon either. In fact, I find it worst

Single Digic 5+, keeps the performance closer to the 60D than the 7D. I think I smell another small buffer coming.

Canon 60d has no buffer issue. Unlike Nikon D7000/D7100. It tab out at 100 shot in JPEG. Nikon always wins on paper, but when you go out to shoot, you discover many unpleasant surprise such as low buffering with D7000 series.  Watch Cameralabs Nikon D7000 in Action Shoot vs Canon 60d

But at the end of the day for me even more important to how it feels in my hand is how many keepers I can get versus other cameras for the same money. The D7100 is getting nothing but solid reviews other than the crippled buffer.

yeah, its pretty bad, almost useless.  What good if FPS, if I can only shoot 3-10s of action?

The T5i was pretty much laughed at if not dissed by the bulk of reviewers.

Agree, my head still shakes.  It is the single worst  & most (non-improve) camera release in canon's entire history.

And as the table below illustrates, the D7100 can utilize the center-most 15 AF points with a lens whose maximum aperture is only F5.6. You could also put a 2x teleconverter on a lens like the very good AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR and the D7100 could still use its center focus point at the F8 equivalent maximum aperture this combo would produce.

The crop mode for action shoot is quite useful (for me), unfortunately the small buffer & buffer under-run kills the d7000 series from being a formidable sports gear.  Nikon did this on purpose as not to damaged the sale of its higher D300s camera lines. Sucks doesn't it?

I also research heavily into buying Nikon D7000/D7100, in fact, I was dead set on switch to Nikon at one point.  However, I discover several things that is really annoying:

• Cannot Change Aperture when shooting video, you must upgrade to D800 for that
  • Nikon Live View is a joke.  It lack the ability to show how actual aperture/shutter affect your image.  So your final shot look very differen from your Live View, stupid
  • Small buffer + Fast FPS = massive buffer under-run after just 5-8 seconds of continuous shoot

I would recommend you rent a Nikon D7000/D7100 over a weekend of intense shoot.  I did, and I walk away with a new found appreciation for Canon DSLR.  I admit that Canon always look weak on paper, but there are numerous area where canon get it so right that I keep finding myself coming back to canon.

I fully expect Canon 70d to be inferior to Nikon D7100 on paper, but I learned from my own experience, that there is more to canon than specs.

Good Luck on whatever you decide. Both are great DSLR, you cannot lose either way.  I really boils down to preference.  I discover I still a Canon guy...even after a brief affair with a Nikon mistress

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
bed bug
Senior MemberPosts: 2,946
Like?
Please, please,...
In reply to 007peter, Jun 28, 2013

Please, please, God let there be no low ISO banding...

Hold on, I'm an atheist, there goes that wish

Regards
Stephen

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920
Like?
Re: Canon WIFI can Remote Shoot even without a Router in the field!

007peter wrote:

rjjr wrote: •Built-in WiFi...Don't need it.

Do not underestimate Canon's WIFI. It has many hidden abilities not available n other camera.

Canon's WIFI is unique in that:

• WIFI work even without a router, directly connect your cellphone to your camera
  • Ability to Remote Shooting, Remote Control your camera in the field is huge
  • It can also Stream-LIVE-VIEW directly to your phone from far away.

versus other manfuactures:

• WIFI is only use for wireless transfer
  • WIFI must be connected to a wireless router, so its only useful for studio/home use
  • Panasonic wifi also enable remote shooting, but does't stream-Live-View to your phone so you have no idea what you framing is

Thanks for the info but I still don't need it...or a pad/tablet...or a smartphone...I get along fine without them.

Jerry Dewey
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

Oh and I want this also, F8.

+1

-- hide signature --

Jerry
Manassas VA USA
I shoot birds.

Jerry Dewey's gear list:Jerry Dewey's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM
dave vichich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jun 28, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

bugbait wrote:

Has to be CLEANER shadow recovery than D7100 because its images are a heap better than the old Canon 18 MP and more pixels equals a heck of a lot more cropping ability.

Wow, 20Mp against 18Mp means you get 5% more pixels in linear resolution - that means that you now can crop by an amazing 5%.

Cropping is something for which you should get a jolt of direct current from your mouse every time you access the crop tool in your image editor!

You and I should go take some bear pics together. Then we'll see how you feel about cropping.

Mama griz with 2 cubs on a mountain goat carcuss.

This black bear and her cubs took off running when she realized what was in the area, but I'm sure you could have stood you ground better than her.

Just because you don't need the MP's, doesn't mean it's not helpful to others.

dave.

-- hide signature --
 dave vichich's gear list:dave vichich's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
PStu
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Jun 28, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

PStu wrote:

Damn. I just posted in the xxxD forum that my 450D was good enough to take a pass on the 60D, but this ticks enough boxes that I am starting to think about saving up some money.

LOL. I replied in that thread with support and encouragement. Traitor!

I've tried a relative's 550D, and the sensor wasn't a big enough improvement to swing the decision.  If the new sensor is better at high ISO (for my son's indoor sports), the 19-pt autofocus, touchscreen, and in-camera HDR and WiFi may be enough to finally close the deal.

PStu's gear list:PStu's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,956
Like?
In reply to dave vichich, Jun 28, 2013

dave vichich wrote:

You and I should go take some bear pics together. Then we'll see how you feel about cropping.

It's actions like yours that give photographers a bad reputation - because it's people like you who get killed because of lack of knowledge.

Actions like these are a case of: Know about your subject and the danger becomes managable. I have seen enough adverts for bear photographer trips - and there the photographers can even mingle with the bears with no danger, because they informed themselves when and where to go.

In your shoot: If you happen to startle the bear and she has small cubs - for how long can you run at 40 kph? I'd bet not as long as the bear.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306
Like?

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

In your shoot: If you happen to startle the bear and she has small cubs - for how long can you run at 40 kph? I'd bet not as long as the bear.

As long as you outrun your fellow photographers you'll be fine

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518
Like?
Re: The Sensor
In reply to R1er, Jun 28, 2013

R1er wrote:

Can't wait to see what she'll do. Dpreview is probably testing it as we speak. Being that Canon waited this long to intro a new one, I'm optimistic that it will leapfrog Nikon. But we'll see. Maybe Canon is saving the "really good" sensor technology for the 7D2!

-- hide signature --

- Don

To surpass Sony's sensors in DR would take a pretty big leap from Canon in terms of performance but I think if they can add an extra stop or so to DR it'll please a lot of people.

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?

bugbait wrote:

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Exactly, Karl. I don't understand how serious photographers are still believing that more pixels are better. It was true when we went from 1MP to 3, and to 5, and when I recently went from 12 to 18. But the increases now are too small to matter. Even on my 18 MP cam, the better low light performance matters more than the number of pixels.

I suppose some people use the Magnify tool far too much.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518
Like?
Re: 20mb not good enough for you?

007peter wrote:

EJ Fudd wrote:

No geotagging? and only 20MB sensor

20mb is not good enough for you? I'm just grateful that canon didn't recycle the same 18mp sensor in a 70d.

Canon pull this stun by sticking the same 18mp sensor with the new Canon Rebel T5i. I was very fearful that Canon would same mistake with 70d. Now that fear has been put to rest

Its not the extra 2mp that I'm looking for, I'm hoping for a cleaner high iso & better dynamic range with a new sensor.

I'm guessing that is what has most people exciting, honiestly I think in terms of resolution your into the realm of diminishing returns already at 18 MP on ASPC with most lenses outside of the center of the frame.

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, Jun 28, 2013

MarshallG wrote:

aftab wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

It seems that Canon is not serious about photography with this camera....

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

How do you come to that conclusion from what has been leaked?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

2 mp in four years seems like a joke.

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen. Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

I have no idea why any serious photographer still thinks megapixels matter. These small 10 to 15% bumps don't do anything to improve our photos, especially when print resolution is so much lower than the sensor resolution anyway.

Dynamic range and low light sensitivity are way more important than fifteen percent more pixels.

Sure DR and low noise at high ISO are important.  Canon has fallen behind in these also.  We don't know if the new sensor will be any better or even worse for these parameters.

I am not concerned about a 10 or 15% bump in mp.  I was hoping Canon would at least catch up with the 24 mp sensor.  That would have been a jump of 30%.

Maybe some buyers will like the WiFi and touchscreen, but I really would like to see Canon move towards improved sensor performance.  Better resolution has lots of positive effects.  First the obvious, it permits larger prints and/or more cropping.  Next the quality of smaller prints is also improved.  Colors are less splotchy and sharpening is all but eliminated.  If you don't understand, then talk with some friends who have a 800e and do landscape photography.

If you don't print and want to post your pictures to facebook, maybe the 70D will be a great camera for you.  Or you could just use a cellphone.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
riveredger
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, Jun 28, 2013

great ... I just bought a 60D two days ago when the price dropped to $899 for the 18-135 kit.  Should I keep it?

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Nikon D7100
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
Re: DEE- Lighted !!!
In reply to jonrobertp, Jun 28, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

With native iso of 12,800....All cross sensors....7 fps...HDR, .... and all the specs....JUST what the doctor ordered !!

Summer is looking very bright !! And couple it with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 ...low light Killer !! then add the fine 70 200 F4...which is cheap these days....Glad I unloaded my D7K just in time .

A claim of 12,800 ISO does not mean the sensor performs well at high ISO.

Cross sensors do not necessarily mean that the camera AF will work well.  I have a T3i (actually two of them).  I use the center cross focus point and it works really poorly compared with my old XSi.  The T3i hunts under low light conditions and anytime I try closeups or macros.

I cannot imagine using in-camera HDR.  On rare occasions I use bracketing and Photomatix HDR software.  It takes a lot of skill to get a natural acceptable result.

I guess 7 fps meets the needs for sport or some wildlife photography.  I have never done much spray and pray shooting.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Elaka Farmor
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
In reply to dave vichich, Jun 28, 2013

dave vichich wrote:

dave.

Agreed. When I went from 10mp to 18mp (40D to 60D) two years ago I realized how significant the the difference in MP was....

Even so from Canon s95 to RX100 (10 to 20mp).

More than have the ability to crop harder, I also like to zoom in and study details on my 27" computer screen, but thats just me.

hlecter666
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elaka Farmor, Jun 28, 2013

Elaka Farmor wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

dave.

Agreed. When I went from 10mp to 18mp (40D to 60D) two years ago I realized how significant the the difference in MP was....

More than have the ability to crop harder, I also like to zoom in and study details on my 27" computer screen, but thats just me.

I have a question related to this. I am still using my 40D together with 3 Tokinas 11-16mm, 16-50mm and 50-135mm all f2.8. For macro I am using the Canon 60 mm f2.8. Although the 40D is a very good camera I was always under the impression that I could get more out of the glass. How will the change from 10 MP to 20 MP affect the image quality? Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

hlecter666's gear list:hlecter666's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Sony SLT-A77 Tokina AT-X Pro 50-135mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +4 more
needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elaka Farmor, Jun 28, 2013

Elaka Farmor wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

dave.

10 to 18 is nearly a doubling. 10 to 20 is a doubling. There is a big difference between a doubling than a 19% increase (24.1 vs 20.2). Comparing a doubling to a 19% difference is irrelevant.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads