* Canon 70d * its here!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
IZO100
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Re: The Sensor
In reply to R1er, 10 months ago

"she" , really ? People can be so weird...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IZO100
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Re: * Canon 70d * its here!
In reply to 007peter, 10 months ago

looks great to me, if it has some sort of weather sealing (like the D7100), I may be going back to Canon.

PStu
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?

Damn.  I just posted in the xxxD forum that my 450D was good enough to take a pass on the 60D, but this ticks enough boxes that I am starting to think about saving up some money.

PStu's gear list:PStu's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688Gear list
Like?
In reply to aftab, 10 months ago

aftab wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

It seems that Canon is not serious about photography with this camera....

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

How do you come to that conclusion from what has been leaked?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

2 mp in four years seems like a joke.

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen.  Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,213Gear list
Like?
In reply to PStu, 10 months ago

PStu wrote:

Damn. I just posted in the xxxD forum that my 450D was good enough to take a pass on the 60D, but this ticks enough boxes that I am starting to think about saving up some money.

LOL. I replied in that thread with support and encouragement. Traitor! 

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, 10 months ago

jrkliny wrote:

Well I am certainly not surprised that Canon was not able to reach the 24 mp level. I guess that would be ok if this new sensor has a great DR and very low noise. Fat Chance. It seems to me that they have not been able to upgrade sensor manufacturing and it is possible that this new sensor is worse than the old 18 mp sensor.

Maybe the 70D will focus better than my T3i. Of course the T3i has a cross type center focus and that is the only point I use. The T3i will not AF in low light or for closeup photography. I wonder if the 70D will overcome this shortfall.

Well at least Canon is including some toys. BTW, what do you possibily do with WiFi in a camera? Does it work as a cell phone? Do you need a monthly subscription to use it? How can I use it when I am in a national park for a few weeks without even a cellphone signal?

It seems that Canon is not serious about photography with this camera....just playing with video and toys. At least I made the right decision. I am spending my hobby money on a Epson 3880. Maybe next year for Canon or I just give up on them permanently.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

Let the whining begin!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114Gear list
Like?

aftab wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen.  Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

I have no idea why any serious photographer still thinks megapixels matter. These small 10 to 15% bumps don't do anything to improve our photos, especially when print resolution is so much lower than the sensor resolution anyway.

Dynamic range and low light sensitivity are way more important than fifteen percent more pixels.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
dave vichich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, 10 months ago

MarshallG wrote:

aftab wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen. Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim

I have no idea why any serious photographer still thinks megapixels matter. These small 10 to 15% bumps don't do anything to improve our photos, especially when print resolution is so much lower than the sensor resolution anyway.

Dynamic range and low light sensitivity are way more important than fifteen percent more pixels.

Unless your subject is far away in good light, then the MP's are more important.

davev.

-- hide signature --
 dave vichich's gear list:dave vichich's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,345Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave vichich, 10 months ago

I'm happy if these specifications prove out. I've been happy with my 60D but always hoping for the 7D'd 19pt AF. Now it seems we got even better AF system if it works out as said. The extra 2mp's are good but I hope the new technology to go with them in the new sensor will prove more important. I'll wait a while and see how everything shakes out with the new AF and sensor but it looks good for now.
DonR
http://donr.zenfolio.com/

WilbaW
Like?
In reply to skanter, 10 months ago

skanter wrote:

Let the whining begin!

Did/does it ever stop?

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 10 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

EDIT: list of specs...

Canon EOS 70D Specifications

• Full HD Video 

Wow, that is amazing!!  To think that it will record video in Full ( 1920x1080 ) HD!!

That is really most impressive indeed.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,391Gear list
Like?
Let the whinefest begin! :-)

jrkliny wrote:

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen. Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

No, I think the incessant whining is more the joke here.  I'm not sure what Canon could do in the way of specs to make you really happy.  Is the extra MP that important to you vs. the possibility (emphasize possibility) of improved IQ?  No guarantees that will be the case, yet you seem to want to judge this before the camera is even announced.

You really should consider giving Nikon a try and see for yourself whether the grass truly is greener over there.  Let that forum listen to the whining for a while.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473Gear list
Like?
No Micro-adjustment?
In reply to Jerry-astro, 10 months ago

Didn't see any reference to MA on the box.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
bugbait
Contributing MemberPosts: 894Gear list
Like?
Plenty of motivation to wait and read.

The improvements we see from that card look real enough. But far from very impressive. Might be good enough for my buying into Canon instead of Nikon for my winter build.

Has to be CLEANER shadow recovery than D7100 because its images are a heap better than the old Canon 18 MP and more pixels equals a heck of a lot more cropping ability.

I see mention of the new contrast AF system being 5x faster than I suppose the EOS M original firmware as a standard. So maybe faster than the competition maybe still behind.

19 cross type for PDAF i would think but I don't know what 2 pixel af is and it may help contrast but hurt PDAF. Wouldn't think so but we do not know as yet.

Single Digic 5+, keeps the performance closer to the 60D than the 7D. I think I smell another small buffer coming.

I hope it is one great camera. And I can use the Flip screen for macro, the wireless for presentation control, and the touch screen of the T4i looks to be brilliant. But at the end of the day for me even more important to how it feels in my hand is how many keepers I can get versus other cameras for the same money. The D7100 is getting nothing but solid reviews other than the crippled buffer.

The T5i was pretty much laughed at if not dissed by the bulk of reviewers. So Canon does not seem to care so much about press video reviews, written seem more generous. But I do and I will read a thorough right ups before I plop down for 2 MP up and 1.7 fps more and no 2x crop for wider dispersion of AF points that the competition has.

Oh and I want this also, F8.

And as the table below illustrates, the D7100 can utilize the center-most 15 AF points with a lens whose maximum aperture is only F5.6. You could also put a 2x teleconverter on a lens like the very good AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR and the D7100 could still use its center focus point at the F8 equivalent maximum aperture this combo would produce.

I expect good weather sealing and polycarbonate over aluminum such as the 60D's again would be fine for me. I expect a bigger sensor in the 7D II. Pros will not pay $2000 for a 20.5 MP camera.

bugbait

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Plenty of motivation to wait and read.
In reply to bugbait, 10 months ago

bugbait wrote:

I expect a bigger sensor in the 7D II. Pros will not pay $2000 for a 20.5 MP camera.

How about $6,799 for 18MP (1DX)?

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
xlotus
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Plenty to be excited about :)

- New sensor - nobody can say this is just another repackaged 18Mpix.

- Faster Processor Yeay!

- More powerful AF system than my aging 60D

- WiFi useful for remote control with a smart phone

- New dual pixel AF promises much faster Live View AF

- Built-in HDR similar to 6D

- Interesting multi-exposure mode

- Same battery system, kudos to Canon for not making a new model

- Same useful touch screen

I thought my days with APS-C sensor DSLR ends with 60D and T4i, but with 70D specs I get excited again.

I can envision a 6D + 70D + SL1 line-up by end of year.

Now the price will determine whether it is a buy now or buy later.

60D was initially $1100 body only. I am hoping the 70D would fall in the same price or less.

xlotus's gear list:xlotus's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Pentax Q Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 650D +33 more
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, 10 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

skanter wrote:

Let the whining begin!

Did/does it ever stop?

I was referring to the whining and complaining about the 70D, a camera that has not yet been released!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263Gear list
Like?

skanter wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

skanter wrote:

Let the whining begin!

Did/does it ever stop?

I was referring to the whining and complaining about the 70D, a camera that has not yet been released!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

And it still doesn't make coffee...

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,949Gear list
Like?
@tecnoworld - no, Canon makes its OWN SENSOR. Only company with full vertical integration
In reply to tecnoworld, 10 months ago

tecnoworld wrote:

Is the sensor self-developed or outsourced?

The only 20mpixel aps-c sensor on the market, up to now, is the one from samsung. If canon uses it, then it's very good, quite better than the older canon 18mpixel one in every aspect.

No, canon only use their own sensor in their DSLR. Unlike other camera makes, canon own several CMOS manufacturing plant. That is who canon was able to make the 1st FF dSLR 4 years ahead of competition. Canon also never sell their CMOS sensor to other manufactures.

But for Low-End Point/Shoot, all canon ccd 1/2.7" sensor are bought from sony.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/07/15/us-canon-factory-idUST14022720070715

WilbaW
Like?

skanter wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

skanter wrote:

Let the whining begin!

Did/does it ever stop?

I know! That's why I replied!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads