* Canon 70d * its here!

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
SystemAgnostic
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Re: * Canon 70d * its here!
In reply to 007peter, Jun 27, 2013

I'm happy with the specs.  The big question is the ability of the sensor.  Seems to me that Canon has for the past several years focused on high ISO capability in full frame and camcorder.  I assume that was the goal for crop sensors as well.  So I hope for high ISO capability which exceeds crop Nikon / Sony cameras, and dynamic range which exceeds today's Canon sensors.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
f64manray
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?
In reply to SystemAgnostic, Jun 27, 2013

It's pretty imperative that somebody let me know if this thing has a headphone jack or not.  I'm thinking there's no way they could leave this feature off given the price point ...but then again this is Canon.  They seem determined to lag behind in the video arena.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?
In reply to EJ Fudd, Jun 27, 2013

EJ Fudd wrote:

No geotagging? and only 20MB sensor

MP.  Image sensors have pixels.  MB is MegaByte.  File size is unrelated directly to pixel count.

dave vichich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,783Gear list
Like?
What I think ...
  • 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+
  • 19pt AF System (All Cross Type)
  • 7fps
  • Built-in WiFi
  • 3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 12,800 Maximum
  • Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus
  • Full HD Video
  • HDR
  • Multiexposure Mode
  • LP-E6 Battery

Just a few thoughts about the specs.

20.2 MP.

I would have liked a few more, maybe 24, but I'm very happy that it's not another 18MP sensor. With some luck the noise will be down another stop.

DIGIC 5+

I really don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I do know that normally as the number jumped, the shots came out cleaner. I'm sure this is a good thing.

19pt AF System.

Because of the new AF, I probably won't be one of the first ones to jump on it. It seems like every time a new auto focus system comes out, there are some issues. I hope it's every thing they say it is.

7 FPS.

Love this, but only if they added to the buffer to make it useful. Maybe 17 RAW and 28 JPG.

Built in WiFi.

Something that I don't think I'll use, at least right away. Is this a way that you could tether the camera to a pad?

3" screen.

Same as before, or are the more pixels? Either way, I'm good with that.

Iso 12,800.

If I can get super clean iso 3200, I'll be real happy.

Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus

This one, time will tell if it's as good as they say.

HD video.

Once again, we'll see if the new AF makes it more useable.

HDR

It's about time. Hopefully some adjustments can be made to the parameters.

Multiexposure Mode

Might have some uses, I can't think of any that I'll use it for right now, but who knows.

LP-E6 Battery

This works out for me with the 5DMKII.

All in all, I think the specs look good at face value. The real world results will tell us so much more.

-- hide signature --
 dave vichich's gear list:dave vichich's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Waverbridge
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: Dual Pixel CDAF...5X Faster than older Live View.....Stunning!

Yep for sure, this will be a great feature. I have a 60d and focusing in live view is painfully slow.

All in all a nice looking camera, shame I only bought my 60d a few months ago

RGL1215
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Waverbridge, Jun 27, 2013

MEH! I was hoping for a refresh of the 7d not the 60d. Whatever.

RGL1215's gear list:RGL1215's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Aussie Rod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: 20mb not good enough for you?

007peter wrote:

EJ Fudd wrote:

No geotagging? and only 20MB sensor

Its not the extra 2mp that I'm looking for, I'm hoping for a cleaner high iso & better dynamic range with a new sensor.

I will be suprised if they will give you that with a crop sensor..

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717
Like?

•20.2mp CMOS Sensor.....Good for me.

•DIGIC 5+.....neutral

•19pt AF System (All Cross Type)....I use center point only if I use AF at all.

•7fps...won't use it much if at all.

•Built-in WiFi...Don't need it.

•3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD...fine by me.

•ISO 12,800 Maximum...we'll see how it looks but decent noise specs at 1600 to 3200 is OK by me.

•Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus...if it helps fine if I decide to use AF.

•Full HD Video...I don't shoot video.

•HDR...•Multiexposure Mode...could be interesting to play with.

I'm still going to wait a few months to see what bugs fall out with the early adopters and by then the 7D may be ready so I'll check that out too.

R1er
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
The Sensor

Can't wait to see what she'll do. Dpreview is probably testing it as we speak. Being that Canon waited this long to intro a new one, I'm optimistic that it will leapfrog Nikon. But we'll see. Maybe Canon is saving the "really good" sensor technology for the 7D2!

-- hide signature --

- Don

R1er's gear list:R1er's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +1 more
Peace On Earth
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?

007peter wrote:

x-vision wrote:

Here's a bigger image:

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/canon70Dspec.jpg

impressed by Canon SL1's AF speed in video with a quick & silent 18-135mm STM lens. A 70d with the same lens would be a killer.
-- hide signature --

http://www.holeepassion.com .. photo gallery coming soon

enlighten us on the lens a bit ?

well, i think lower end of dslr, they focus a lot on videos which is great :d

viktoriskra
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Decent specs, but..

..will it have a polycarbonate body or will they 'treat' us to a magnesium alloy like they used to in the former two-digit EOS series?

viktoriskra's gear list:viktoriskra's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,104Gear list
Like?

Is the sensor self-developed or outsourced?

The only 20mpixel aps-c sensor on the market, up to now, is the one from samsung. If canon uses it, then it's very good, quite better than the older canon 18mpixel one in every aspect.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +12 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, Jun 27, 2013

Well I am certainly not surprised that Canon was not able to reach the 24 mp level.  I guess that would be ok if this new sensor has a great DR and very low noise.  Fat Chance.  It seems to me that they have not been able to upgrade sensor manufacturing and it is possible that this new sensor is worse than the old 18 mp sensor.

Maybe the 70D will focus better than my T3i.  Of course the T3i has a cross type center focus and that is the only point I use.  The T3i will not AF in low light or for closeup photography.  I wonder if the 70D will overcome this shortfall.

Well at least Canon is including some toys.  BTW, what do you possibily do with WiFi in a camera?  Does it work as a cell phone?  Do you need a monthly subscription to use it?  How can I use it when I am in a national park for a few weeks without even a cellphone signal?

It seems that Canon is not serious about photography with this camera....just playing with video and toys.  At least I made the right decision.  I am spending my hobby money on a Epson 3880.  Maybe next year for Canon or I just give up on them permanently.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Keith E Carlson
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
Re: The Sensor
In reply to R1er, Jun 27, 2013

This will put me , and others, in a bit of a dilemma.

As a bird photographer, I want a crop sensor.

The 20.2 MP sensor is enough of a leap up from my 50D ( 15MP) that I can go for the 70D, but I sure would like to know what the 7D Mkll is going to do as far as sensor size and price before I commit to the 70D.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,429
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, Jun 27, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

Well I am certainly not surprised that Canon was not able to reach the 24 mp level. I guess that would be ok if this new sensor has a great DR and very low noise. Fat Chance. It seems to me that they have not been able to upgrade sensor manufacturing and it is possible that this new sensor is worse than the old 18 mp sensor.

Maybe the 70D will focus better than my T3i. Of course the T3i has a cross type center focus and that is the only point I use. The T3i will not AF in low light or for closeup photography. I wonder if the 70D will overcome this shortfall.

Well at least Canon is including some toys. BTW, what do you possibily do with WiFi in a camera?

Wireless transfer to any pc/notebook/tablet with wireless.

Does it work as a cell phone?

No.

Do you need a monthly subscription to use it?

No.

How can I use it when I am in a national park for a few weeks without even a cellphone signal?

Without seeing the specs, I can only guess.  It may be possible to set up an ad-hoc network (no cell signal needed).

Mark

RGL1215
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: The Sensor
In reply to Keith E Carlson, Jun 27, 2013

Keith E Carlson wrote:

This will put me , and others, in a bit of a dilemma.

As a bird photographer, I want a crop sensor.

The 20.2 MP sensor is enough of a leap up from my 50D ( 15MP) that I can go for the 70D, but I sure would like to know what the 7D Mkll is going to do as far as sensor size and price before I commit to the 70D.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/

If you are a serious bird photographer I'd wait it out and see if the 7d2 is far behind. 7d will do just fine till it's upgraded. No need for the 70d if you have a 7d. We'll see. I've been waiting around so long for an upgrade to the 60d and 7d I'm about fed up and I'm going to go straight to a 5d3. Screw it!

RGL1215's gear list:RGL1215's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, Jun 27, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

It seems that Canon is not serious about photography with this camera....

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

How do you come to that conclusion from what has been leaked?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

rwl408
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103
Like?
Re: Electronic level for vertical shooting

I wonder if the electronic level in 70D is available for both horizontal and vertical shooting. 60D is the odd camera out there that has electronic level but for horizontal shooting only. Either you have it or you don't but not sort of.

arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to 007peter, Jun 28, 2013

A few thoughts on the camera:

Finally a new APSC sensor from Canon!!  Will have to wait and see if it has useful improvements (in noise and DR) because the extra 2MP is not an improvement on its own.

Also it would be very surprising if Canon would have developed 2 new sensors so that means if the 7DII comes out it will very likely have this same sensor.

AF looks very likely to be the same as from the 7D.  That is good for this camera and hopefully means that the 7DII will have AF similar to the 5D3.

The rest of the features like HDR and Multi Exposure are welcome additions especially considering the target market for this camera.

I wonder if they will add back AFMA.  I sure hope so.

The new Live View AF is interesting and hopefully will come to a new EOS-M in the future.

I have no personal interest in this camera but it seems like a good upgrade from the 60D (price withstanding).

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E2 +13 more
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to 007peter, Jun 28, 2013

I just white balanced to photo. Why did anyone post it any where with out WB the photo?

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads