Outdoor Focus-Stacking Using Script

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
Outdoor Focus-Stacking Using Script
Jun 27, 2013

There wasn't much wind after this morning's rain, so I thought I would try outdoor focus-stacking, even though it was cloudy. (Setting the white balance to "cloudy" is especially important for the SX30 with its CCD sensor. I understand that the CMOS sensor of the SX40 and SX50 is more forgiving.)

Herb Robert - SX30 at 150.5 mm with 600 mm homemade closeup lens -11 shots 2 mm apart

Herb Robert - SX30 at 58.1 mm with Raynox 150 closeup lens -39 shots 0.5 mm apart

Herb Robert is a small wildflower. This bloom measured 12 mm across (0.5 inch).  No PP was done to remove halos, as they are not bad in comparison to my typical indoor shots. The 600 mm lens is easier to use, with its larger DOF and focus range, but the Raynox 150 gives sharper detail. A previous attempt with the Raynox 150 was discarded because the 20 mm focus range ran out before capturing the whole bloom. Instead of using macro-rails, the focus-bracketing was done with my script, close.bas ( http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9780512447/focus-bracketing-scripts-for-macro-setting-and-for-closeup-lenses ), which automatically takes a series of shots at different focus distances. The focus-stacking was done with Zerene Stacker ( http://www.zerenesystems.com/ ).

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
Re: Outdoor Focus-Stacking Using Script
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Jun 27, 2013

What a beauty !

Thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Globemstr3
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?

That 600MM home made deal is a thing of beauty! Fabulous pic! Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Globemstr3's gear list:Globemstr3's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D3100
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,580Gear list
Like?

Stephen,

Seeing your images, I'm very excited about reading your article and trying to digest it all. Though I'm in the middle of so many projects, I hope to get to it soon. Luckily I don't sleep very much, so maybe tonite.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Stephen Barrett
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Jun 28, 2013

Thanks for your comments, Augustin, Mark and Ed. There seem to be lots of little flowers that you hardly notice but, when you look closely, they have interesting spiky things. The hairs on the lower stem seem to have little red balls on the end. The buds wait for for the flowers to die until they open and take their turn at life.

What are you building , Ed? It sounds like a long-term project.

VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,580Gear list
Like?

Stephen Barrett wrote:

What are you building , Ed? It sounds like a long-term project.

It's just so many projects that I keep a mental list of and now slowly work through in my retirement years.

For example, yesterday's project entailed starting to mill a pile of '4 by' and '2 by' lumber into an 8' wide by 7' high by 4' deep garden arbor for the entrance to my south gardens. I've designed the project so that by milling precise dados and mortises and tenons to all the parts, the arbor, which includes double rails surrounding each post, will be able to be assembled like a puzzle and safely stand constructed with no mechanical fasteners. The bluestone, Belgian block and concrete base is already poured with shaft supports allowing removal of the arbor posts if necessary to move any large equipment to the gardens.

(Note: although the arbor will not require mechanical fasteners, because of the strong storms we've been getting lately, I will include hidden lags screws in key areas for a bit of extra safety. And that will also keep an inspector happy.)

Since the rain stopped and the sun came out, I just took a picture of the base with my S100, my favorite project camera. Here it is:

The berry garden is on the left and the herb garden is on the right. The Belgian blocks open up into a wine bottle design with the arbor base as sort of a cork.

There are just so many projects like this in some state of development in my mind or state of actual construction. Oh, and it looks like I need to cut the grass.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Stephen Barrett
Like?
Garden Projects
In reply to VisionLight, Jun 28, 2013

Your gardens sound wonderful, Ed.
Please post more pictures as your projects progress.

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,669Gear list
Like?
Re: Garden Projects

Ed, after you cut the grass of course

Murry

PS your garden entrance looks great.  Now mine is more natural

-- hide signature --