Tilting text ??

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
Central Fla
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
Tilting text ??
Jun 27, 2013

This simple task has eluded me today.  I can sort of fake it by free transform and cruching the text but it does not look right.  I want to place text on an object in an image that is on an angle.  Tried all my usual learning places and can't seem to find it,  I have learned a lot from you folks and appreciate your help.  In sharing something,  I tried to place text yesterday on something and it needed to be larger text than photoshop listed, 72 pt,  If this happens you can click your cursor directly on top of the font size number ( exmple 72pt ) in the font size selection box and type in whatever you want.

Thanks for any help.

Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283
Like?
Re: Tilting text ??
In reply to Central Fla, Jun 27, 2013

Seeing as you use {insert operating system} and use {insert application name} version {insert version name} I would suggest you use tool {insert tool} and use {insert settings} but be careful of {insert cautions}.

I would be more specific but without knowing more on what software you are using it is very difficult.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Central Fla
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Jun 27, 2013

Sorry, W7 PS CS6, tried for an hour with text tool  and free transform with no luck.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
  1. Convert text to smart object
  2. Hit Ctrl-T
  3. Right click and choose the kind of alteration you want
-- hide signature --

~ Peano
www.radiantpics.com

Central Fla
Like?
In reply to Peano, Jun 27, 2013

Thanks Peano, I found that menu using free transform but still can not lean the text forward or back. I did follow your suggestion all the way through, can do everything but tilt ?

I think now that SKEW will do it,  it may not actually tilt like my mind wanted but i guess it is the same thing,  make the bottom smalle and the top larger

Central Fla
Like?
look promising ?? Thanks Peano, that did it

richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,399Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peano, Jun 27, 2013

Another way, is to hold the Ctrl key while you move the Free Transform corner handles. This linear warps.. not strictly into "perspective" AFAICT, because it does not seem to handle foreshortening quite 100% accurately, but close enough to that for most purposes.

Camera correction (horizontal and vertical perspective adjust) will be more technically accurate but offers a less extreme range of transformation.

However the text layer may need to be first get rendered into simple pixels with these options; certainly with some past PS versions, a live editable text layer can scale, rotate and skew - but not get warped / perspectivised.

It will be important to ensure your text maps onto a generous number of pixels, before you pixelise it, if so.

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Central Fla
Like?
Thanks Richard
In reply to richardplondon, Jun 27, 2013

wrote that one down also.

Central Fla
Like?
Do you think these techniques

are an equal match to something that did an actual tilt  ??

richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,399Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you think these techniques

Central Fla wrote:

are an equal match to something that did an actual tilt ??

I think the Free Transform method (with perspective) is the only practicable way with standard Photoshop to change the 3D aspect / angle of one thing (such as some text) interactively, until it matches up with a background image that you need to see at the same time.

However, it is easy to get something looking as if it is stretched out and pinned onto a siurface, but stretched more in one direction than another - it takes some judgement to get this natural.

For example, here's two variations in putting some text onto a surface - which one is "better", the upper or the lower? To me, the lower one is more credible but that's not always a clearcut matter.

At least with CS5 (which I have) the camera correction tool does not let you view any background layer while you are making the adjustments... so that's no good for lining things up this way.

Extended PS (CC is equuivalent to PS Extended not Standard, a fact often missed) includes 3D transform tools which should not suffer from that restriction... and should retain a realistic apparent proportion as you rotate and swim the text around in a virtual space.

Perspective adjustment in the lens correction tool, though, works better IMO when you are changing the perspective of an entire picture. Usually this is a question of getting verticals vertical, and the grid that the tool gives you is all that you are paying attention to.

If you try to use Transform to do the latter kind of job, firstly it is very difficult - and secondly, it is easy to accidentally make all the things in the picture look skinny or fat as a side-effect of fixing a perspective convergence - just like the isolated text in my sample above, but affecting the whole image - IOW, there is no "reality proportion lock".

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?

I cannot help you to perform this using CS6, but it is very easy to do in PSPX5.  Here is an example, wherein I opened an image with a white background, created a black triangle on a new transparent layer, added the red text at the bottom of the triangle on a separate layer, copied the text and pasted it on a new layer to the right side of the triangle and used the Pick tool to rotate and align it in relation to the right side of the triangle.  Did the same for the text on the left side.  Once satisfied, merged all layers.

Regards....Allen

mikes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984
Like?

A vector illustration program, such as CorelDraw, (or illustrator if you already have ) is better designed for work with text.

Central Fla wrote:

This simple task has eluded me today. I can sort of fake it by free transform and cruching the text but it does not look right. I want to place text on an object in an image that is on an angle. Tried all my usual learning places and can't seem to find it, I have learned a lot from you folks and appreciate your help. In sharing something, I tried to place text yesterday on something and it needed to be larger text than photoshop listed, 72 pt, If this happens you can click your cursor directly on top of the font size number ( exmple 72pt ) in the font size selection box and type in whatever you want.

Thanks for any help.

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to mikes, Jun 28, 2013

mikes wrote:

A vector illustration program, such as CorelDraw, (or illustrator if you already have ) is better designed for work with text.

Not for what the OP wants (and a good deal more besides). Text in Photoshop is a vector object, the same as in Illustrator. When converted to a smart object it can be scaled, skewed, bent, warped, and distorted in all sorts of ways. CorelDraw and Illustrator can't do any of those things any better.

-- hide signature --

~ Peano
www.radiantpics.com

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,418
Like?
In reply to Central Fla, Jun 28, 2013

There is a text transformation tool that will do what you want when the text tool is active.

It looks like a box with a round belly.

Click that and you will get a selction of adjustable presets.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,384Gear list
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jun 28, 2013

drh681 wrote:

There is a text transformation tool that will do what you want when the text tool is active.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

To access the text warping tools such as this one with the text layer selected use the Photoshop Type>Warp Text command and select the tool you want to use.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,418
Like?
OOps...
In reply to drh681, Jun 28, 2013

drh681 wrote:

It is the "T" on a bridge that activates the warp dialog for a selected text.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

Michael Edward Rudge
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,750Gear list
Like?
I tried this method

I used PS CS2  A4  times roman 72 size typed "TEST "

draw box round word,  copy and past, now we have grab handles to re-size and turn and twist

this may be a way forward

cheers Michael North wales

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon Pixma MG5350
Central Fla
Like?
Thanks to everyone !!
In reply to Michael Edward Rudge, Jun 28, 2013

If I were a paranoid person I would say this simple ability was intentionally left out,  lean the text forward and backward does not seem such a difficult idea to include if CS6 already can do everything with warp.

Central Fla
Like?
Smart object, Peano was right.

I think the key lesson here is the smart object, that activates the greyed out distort command.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Thanks to everyone !!

Central Fla wrote:

lean the text forward and backward does not seem such a difficult idea to include if CS6 already can do everything with warp.

It does include that. With a free-transform box, hold Ctrl-Shift and grab a middle handle. Smart object not required.

-- hide signature --

~ Peano
www.radiantpics.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads