FireFox 22 - I Advise Staying Away

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
dmartin92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: ah the "I'm having a problem so every will do" thing
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 29, 2013

But even so ... having read the forums for years, I would say that the words "crab, crab, crab" are much more associated for me with the id RedFox88 than SantaFeBill ...

... why don't you just do us a favor, the next time around ... and say nothing ?

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034
Like?
Re: FireFox 22 - I Advise Staying Away
In reply to Mitrajoon, Jun 29, 2013

You can dl FF 21 starting here:

http://gondownload.net/download-firefox-21-21-0/

Just run it and click on the update tab when it shows up. The installer will 'update' to a previous version from a later one w.o. a problem, although if you go to the FF Web site you'll get a message that FF isn't the latest version and urging you to upgrade.

Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,359
Like?
In reply to SantaFeBill, Jun 29, 2013

Thanks! That worked. Back on version 21 and all is well.

-- hide signature --
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?
Re: ah the "I'm having a problem so every will do" thing
In reply to dmartin92, Jun 29, 2013

To show people that "advising" the internet isn't a very mature thing to do.

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?
In reply to Royi Avital, Jun 29, 2013

Royi Avital wrote:

You have Windows 7,

Why on earth would you install Norton?

Keep those useless applications away, they just hurt the experience and has no value.

-- hide signature --

Windows + Norton + Flash = Bad idea

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Royi Avital
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to soloryb, Jun 29, 2013

Use Microsoft Security Essential.

On Window 8 use the built in AV.
AV by 3rd side are bad, very bad.
They go too deep.

-- hide signature --
 Royi Avital's gear list:Royi Avital's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,480
Like?
Update your drivers and plugins
In reply to SantaFeBill, Jun 29, 2013

SantaFeBill wrote:

I dl'd and installed FF 22 as an upgrade to 21.

I immediately began to get on most Web sites a 'FileType' error message to the effect that 'xxxx is not a container' or some such.

Also, some Web pages would cause the display driver to continually crash and restart.

What video card (brand/model) or video chipset?

You probably need to update your video card chipset drivers for starters.

For Nvidia drivers, go here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

For ATI/AMD drivers, go here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

For Intel integrated video drivers, go here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

As a general "rule of thumb", I check for video driver updates and install them around once per month.

If you're not using the current video drivers, you're just asking for problems.

Note that you can also disable hardware (GPU) Accleration in Firefox by going to Preferences, clicking on the Advanced Tab, and unchecking the box labeled "Use Hardware Acceleration when available"

But, if you're using current video drivers, then you probably won't have any issues leaving Hardware Acceleration enabled (giving you faster rendering speeds).

Part of Norton Internet Security was also flagged as being incompatible with 22.

Get rid of Norton and switch to a better AV software suite.

Went back to 21. It doesn't exhibit any of these problems.

Firefox is not the problem. Other junk you're running is likely the problem.

For starters. update all of your drivers (especially your video card drivers).

Then, make sure you have up to date plugins and add-ons installed.

Go here first:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Then, I'd suggest you load this plugin that can check other add-ons for issues (it's free):

https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

Here's the deal... if you use outdated drivers, add-ons and plugins, you're just begging for malware infections.

That's because security vulnerabilities are fixed in new releases (Adobe Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, Apple iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

The same thing is true for using older browser versions.  Each new version of a browser (like Firefox) usually fixes security vulnerabilities that will be taken advantage of by criminals when visiting web sites with malicious content.

So, I'd do yourself a favor and make sure all of your drivers, browsers, add-ons and plugins are up to date for starters.

That way, you'll be less likely to be infected by malware that tries to steal personal information (login info, passwords, bank account info, etc.).

Again, chances are, you're just trying to use outdated drivers and plugins, causing your issues with a new version of Firefox.

Fix the underlying causes first.  Then, see if it works OK for you.  But, if you try to stick with older browser versions, you're just inviting criminals to take advantage of security vulnerabilities. Bottom line --- don't do it. Upgrade everything and get the latest version working on your system.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?
Re: Update your drivers and plugins
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 30, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Went back to 21. It doesn't exhibit any of these problems.

Firefox is not the problem. Other junk you're running is likely the problem.

For starters. update all of your drivers (especially your video card drivers).

Then, make sure you have up to date plugins and add-ons installed.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

At first I thought that 22 was no problem. I then realized I could not view videos and other images anywhere on the internet. I went through debug using many of the Firefox suggestions to no avail. I also checked all my drivers and they are up to date. I even reset Firefox and that did not fix the situation.

As a last result I went back to 21 and no more video problems.

Could be me or Firefox. Doesn't matter as it works great now and I will not update until I see that the problem is recognized by Firefox with a solution.

-- hide signature --

Just a very serious amateur for over 55 years.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,359
Like?
Follow Up
In reply to Mitrajoon, Jul 7, 2013

Just wanted to mention that Plain Old Favorites has been updated and now works with FF 22.

-- hide signature --
Peadingle
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Jul 7, 2013

I've got 22 running on XP SP3 and once or twice a day it freezes, and I have to close it and restart (Firefox not the PC). At present it doesn't bug me enough to go back to 21 and I expect it will get fixed soon.

SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jul 21, 2013

Jim,

Thanks for the long and thoughtful reply.

1. My drivers are up to date for Win7 32-bit. But that's relative, as I'm still on my old P4 system, our move taking precedence over setting up my new computer. So some of the drivers were written some time ago. As they still work fine with the devices, they haven't been changed by the device makers. The nVidia video driver however is from Feb. of this year.

2. As changing from Norton, reviews for any and all of the alternate anti-virus and firewall products indicate that, for some usersthey either cause problems (sometimes quite serious ones) and/or don't do a good job (e.g. Windows Security Essentials). So better the devil I know than one I don't.

3. As for security, I have to trust that between the router firewall, the NIS one, and the av part of NIS, I'm reasonably protected. (Norton has, for example, caught some attacks and infected e-mails.) I'm also careful about the sites I visit. Of course, nothing is 100%. But my research seems to indicate that there isn't a way to guarantee literally complete protection. FWIW (if anything), Norton does get good ratings from the places that rate such programs, and it works w.o. problems on my old system - a not insignificant advantage.

4. I checked the add-ons for compatibility and updates when I went to 22. Incompatible ones were disabled and any available updates applied.

In any case, I'll try 22 (or whatever version is current by then) when I get the new computer set up. But for now, if I want to use FF, it has to be 21.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads