Best wide angle prime lens for upcoming 70d ?

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
Peace On Earth
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
Best wide angle prime lens for upcoming 70d ?
Jun 27, 2013

I will be using a fair bit of videography ...

have gone through 24mmm-104mm L IS, IS is useful but distortion and corner sharpness/blacken ???

24-70mm L, no IS ?

so, any perfect prime with IS ? does not have to be too wide

thanks

-- hide signature --

http://www.nature.earthsmate.com .. sharing nature and stand for sustainability

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peace On Earth
Like?
Re: Best wide angle prime lens for upcoming 70d ?
In reply to Peace On Earth, Jun 27, 2013

Peace On Earth wrote:

have gone through 24mmm-104mm L IS, IS is useful but distortion and corner sharpness/blacken ???

24-70mm L, no IS ?

thanks

-- hide signature --

please with great macro as well as i love the insects :d

-- hide signature --

http://www.holeepassion.com .. photo gallery coming soon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,651Gear list
Like?
peripheral illumination correction?

Peace On Earth wrote:

For EF/EF-S lenses I believe that the in-camera peripheral illumination correction to correct for vignetting works for video as well as stills.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,524Gear list
Like?

Peace On Earth wrote:

24-70mm L, no IS ?

thanks

I don't know of any lens that perfect, but the EF 24 f/2.8 IS, EF 28 f/2.8 IS and EF 35 f/2 IS all come to mind possibilities.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Peace On Earth
Like?
Re: peripheral illumination correction?
In reply to Lemming51, Jun 27, 2013

Lemming51 wrote:

Peace On Earth wrote:

For EF/EF-S lenses I believe that the in-camera peripheral illumination correction to correct for vignetting works for video as well as stills.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

-- hide signature --

oh really ? nice . did not know that ... my last camera was 60d and not sure if it had it or not .... thanks a bunch for the info ....

Peace On Earth
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Jun 27, 2013

bhollis wrote:

Peace On Earth wrote:

24-70mm L, no IS ?

thanks

I don't know of any lens that perfect, but the EF 24 f/2.8 IS, EF 28 f/2.8 IS and EF 35 f/2 IS all come to mind possibilities.

-- hide signature --

ok thank u, I will be checking it out. If you would recommend zoom, which one will be it ? of course I want L just in case I move up to FF as well ... I have 70-200 4L IS which I am very happy cos i can shoot with ease + the nifty 50mm which is not wide enough for crop ...

thanks again for your reply ....

glokenpop
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
is 70d going to be fullframe?
In reply to Peace On Earth, Jun 28, 2013

Peace On Earth wrote:

24-70mm L, no IS ?

thanks

-- hide signature --

Is 70d going to be fullframe? If it's not you will have to go below 21mm to get a wide angle lens. The only one's I can think of are the canon 14mm (which is awesome but expensive), the 17mm (same but I don't have it) and - sigma make both a rectangular (10mm) and circular (4.5mm) fisheyes. Any other wide-angle you get will have to be on a zoom.

glokenpop's gear list:glokenpop's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?

Peace On Earth wrote:

24-70mm L, no IS ?

thanks

-- hide signature --

I honestly don't see what your problem is with the 24-105 if you want IS. There is the 24 2.8 prime with IS. Perhaps it satisfies your need for less distortion and vinjetting.

Somebody else mentioned the 14mm 2.8L II and if you want the best UWA for Canon that has AF this it the dream UWA lens.

On a crop camera you could be considering the 17-55 f2.8 zoom with IS. Or even the 24-70 f4.0L with IS.

I understand your need for IS when shooting video, but I think you should consider investing in a steadicam rig instead. That way all your lenses will have IS.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?

If you  do manual focus for your videography, consider some of the Samyang lenses, cine versions (focus ring and manual aperture sized for standard follow-focus apparatus; aperture marked in T units and does not have click stops). Yes, these are for full frame. Yes, these are prone to vignetting, although not as badly on APS-C as on FF. The cine lens series has identical  optical designs to their still-photo versions. There's a 10mm rectilinear projection lens in the works.

I have one Samyang lens, the 14mm f/2.8. I enjoy using it on APS-C and particularly on  FF, though I am searching for a Lightroom- compatible lens profile for FF use (there is one for APS-C use, google). This is my astrophotography wide lens.

And.....CHEAP! Solid. Well made. Samyang is the company that makes the lenses, which are sold under its own name and under Rokinon, Bower, Vivitar names.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads