I never sell camera equipment because...

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses for sure, bodies ... sometimes
In reply to amtberg, Jun 27, 2013

amtberg wrote:

I buy and sell lenses all the time... I usually don't bother selling bodies because they generally lose value so quickly.

This is pretty close to my own experience. For my older cameras, I either hack them for other uses (i.e. dedicated infrared), hang on to them as backups, or give them away to friends/family.

One of these days I'm going to have enough HD-capable units that I'm going to experiment with some film-making and using multiple concurrent recordings to intercut together.  At least, that's one of my aspirations!

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,113Gear list
Like?
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...
In reply to Angular Mo, Jun 27, 2013

I have three kids.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,509Gear list
Like?
I have to agree with the last paragraph.
In reply to GingerBread, Jun 27, 2013

Coincidentally, I have been looking at photos I took years ago, even some taken by my P&S cameras, because of the request of a friend to send old photos of her. Most of these I haven't looked at in years...not sure why. Amazed at how good some of them are. Some of them, taken by a Sigma DP2, are so good that I may not eBay the camera, as I had intended to do this morning.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?
Re: I'm the opposite
In reply to dmanthree, Jun 27, 2013

dmanthree wrote:

Angular Mo wrote:

Admittedly, I was one of the earliest buyers...and have enjoyed my ancient E-P1 camera since the summer of 2009. Yeah, I paid full-price, and am unable to add a view-finder. It still works fine; sure, it is slow to operate.

I just cannot fathom getting only USD 125 for it, if that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOOR-DISPLAY-Olympus-PEN-E-P1-12-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-Body-Only-/110954680840?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d56a1208

then again, I have not bought any FT SHG lenses, or anything similar that would have decent nominal (not proportionate to cost) resale value.

-- hide signature --

'Photos are what remain when the memories are forgotten' - Angular Mo.

I never keep any gear, especially electronics, because I'm not a collector, and if I'm not using it, it goes before it loses all its value. I have only what I'm currently using, and no more. Otherwise you're stuck with piles of worthless old crap.

This is my philosophy. I have generally sold my photo gear to pay for the new stuff. If you really aren't using it, $125 will pay for part of a new lens or flash. I upgraded from a GF3 to a GX1 when the price dropped. I only got $90 for the GF3 but I treated it as a $90 discount on the GX1. Once I got the GX1 I would not use the GF3, so why keep it? The only thing that would stop me from selling electronics that are being upgraded is the option to pass it along to a family member. I've done that with iPads, iPhones, and computers.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree with 007 Peter. / No text.
In reply to 007peter, Jun 27, 2013

007peter wrote:

Holding on to high price Electronic is dumbest financial moves any one can make. I recommend the opposite. Buy Low, Sell HIGH

• Buy Low = never buy brand new camera in its 1st year. Wait a year for 20-30% discount, or buy a 1 year old USED version around 40% discount
  • Sell High = sell your camera before the new model is released
  • If you like your camera, sell 1st, then buy it back later at heavy discount

I'll used myself as an example.

I paid $1499 for Canon 30d + 17-85 is and shot for 1 1/2 years. While I love my 30d, I knew I had sell them ASAP before canon release a 40d. I sold my 30d for $800, 17-85is for $400, for a total return of $1200 back in 2007. The $299 price difference is my rental cost for shooting 1 1/2 year. ($1499 - $1200).

I'm glad I ignore DPR forum advice and sold my camera early (even though I like the camera). By 2009, the price of 30d has fallen well below $450. Had I hold on to my 30d as members suggest, I would have taken a substantial lost. After 40d is release, no one is willing to pay more than $600 for a 30d, I'm glad I sold mine for $800 while I still can.

I used the $1,200 return (from 30d combo) to bought a cheap Canon Rebel XTi for $662.89 in 2007. I shot it for a year, and promptly sold it for $450 before Canon XSi replacement was released. $662.89 - $450.00 = $212.89, a cheap rental cost for 1 year shooting

I do even better with Micro43 camera

• Bought a used GF2 + 14-42 for just $240.42, use it for 6 months
  • Sold my GF2 + 14-42 for $300, with a $59.52 profit

Two Micro43 manufactures is a double edge swords:

• [+Positive] several new camera model every year from 2 manufactures
  • [- Negative] very short product cycle = massive discount in just 6 months

The 3 noticeable exception are Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GH2, GH3 which hold on to their value even a year after it was introduced. But for majority of M43 camera body, they have become disposable. I've seen a year old GF3 selling as low as $89. Ouch!

If you have Patience, and willing to give up the bragging right of owning the latest gear, you can save $$ ton of money $$ buying a mint/used M43 at 60-80% discount. Right now, I'm looking at a Panasonic GX1 for $199, shockly cheap for such a high quality camera.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to FrankS009, Jun 27, 2013

My kids use my old bodies also, keeps the current gear out of their hands. I get a lot of smiles when I take my 7 and 9 year old hiking and they are both carrying DSLRs along w/ me.

FrankS009 wrote:

I have three kids.

F.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,071Gear list
Like?
*Example* Canon 60d has fallen to $589, because 70d is coming
In reply to 007peter, Jun 27, 2013

007peter wrote:

I paid $1499 for Canon 30d + 17-85 is and shot for 1 1/2 years. While I love my 30d, I knew I had sell them ASAP before canon release a 40d. I sold my 30d for $800, 17-85is for $400, for a total return of $1200 back in 2007. The $299 price difference is my rental cost for shooting 1 1/2 year. ($1499 - $1200).

I'm glad I ignore DPR forum advice and sold my camera early (even though I like the camera). By 2009, the price of 30d has fallen well below $450. Had I hold on to my 30d as members suggest, I would have taken a substantial lost. After 40d is release, no one is willing to pay more than $600 for a 30d, I'm glad I sold mine for $800 while I still can

Yesterday, I wrote about selling your camera before the new replacement model comes out. Today, I have a perfect example:

Canon 60d (body only) was selling for $899 new, with Craigslist between $600 ~ $800.

But today, you can buy a brand new Canon 60d body for $589 here, That is cheaper than a Canon rebels.

Apparently, someone snap a photo of a Canon 70d box below. With 70d about to be release, Canon 60d used price will take a severe hit. It is better to sell the camera while you still can. After the whole world know about 70d, it will be hard to sell a used 60d for $600 ~ $800 anymore.

Canon isn't immune to severe price drop, whether its Olympus or Panasonic, as technology progress, older models are clearing out at fire sale prices.

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to Angular Mo, Jun 27, 2013

I am "recycling" the manual focus/manual aperture lenses from my film days. If I want to shoot film for some reason, I can. The ordinary SLR film cameras aren't worth much, and I would rather keep my Mamiya-Sekor DTL1000 body and a few prime lenses as mementos. The tiny 1M Nikon Coolpix is fine for snapshots at parties, is worthless on the market, and its function can be replaced by the phone camera.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to rsmithgi, Jun 27, 2013

rsmithgi wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Angular Mo wrote:

Admittedly, I was one of the earliest buyers...and have enjoyed my ancient E-P1 camera since the summer of 2009. Yeah, I paid full-price, and am unable to add a view-finder. It still works fine; sure, it is slow to operate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOOR-DISPLAY-Olympus-PEN-E-P1-12-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-Body-Only-/110954680840?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d56a1208

then again, I have not bought any FT SHG lenses, or anything similar that would have decent nominal (not proportionate to cost) resale value.

-- hide signature --

I never keep any gear, especially electronics, because I'm not a collector, and if I'm not using it, it goes before it loses all its value. I have only what I'm currently using, and no more. Otherwise you're stuck with piles of worthless old crap.

This is my philosophy. I have generally sold my photo gear to pay for the new stuff. If you really aren't using it, $125 will pay for part of a new lens or flash. I upgraded from a GF3 to a GX1 when the price dropped. I only got $90 for the GF3 but I treated it as a $90 discount on the GX1. Once I got the GX1 I would not use the GF3, so why keep it? The only thing that would stop me from selling electronics that are being upgraded is the option to pass it along to a family member. I've done that with iPads, iPhones, and computers.

I learned this the hard way. Old electronic gear of any kind is worthless. I have a few old cameras, but they're nostalgia and I use them occasionally, but that's about it. Use it and lose it for all electronics.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
RedDog Steve
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
In reply to Angular Mo, Jun 28, 2013

Just hand the camera down to a family member or friend.

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
ashley161
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to NancyP, Jun 28, 2013

Hi,

Thx forsharingthe quick features i would definatelygo ahead and try the tiny 1M Nikon Coolpixp500 any advice?.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,771
Like?
Re: Try selling a vhs player or i386 computer
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jun 28, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

Why would you expect electronics to hold their value?

Camera bodies end up in landfills while lenses last decades.

With respect, this might not be the OP point. I am in a similar viewpoint.  I keep my gear.  If it is any good I still use it from time to time and I am always somewhat surprised by their tiny outlandish lcd screen and small files produced but at the same time I am often equally surprised at the viewable quality that this old gear can still produce.  Sensors and things march on but a good picture is always a good picture.

I look at the depreciated value of these things and say "well they are worth more to me personally than the two bits the market will pay me".  So it is not always a consideration of whether they should be junked but more is it worth the bother to sell for a pittance.

Happily I have a few (long suffering) kids that are quite happy to use my old camera gear and I would rather give them a camera or three rather than suffer the garage sale that would otherwise arise.

Works both ways - these oldies can manage with mobile phones that are just phones and we are now being upgraded in reverse with superseded mobiles (grin).

As for selling the camera off when they are still quite useful to get the best price.  Well the maths might be individually case by case but my guess that regularly churning over new gear in the short term when the depreciation is highest might be more expensive that keeping one effective camera over a longer period until it is not worth very much at all before replacing it - and maybe using the old one as a door stop.

If a camera is churned in the early stages someone has bought it and it will surely end up as land fill none the less no matter how many people have owned it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,771
Like?
Re: I disagree a bit.
In reply to GingerBread, Jun 28, 2013

GingerBread wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

Cameras improve over the years, which is why many end up in a closet after being replaced my better models - maybe someone wants improved high ISO performance or a more portable system. Sure, the old ones still take good photos, but maybe not good enough any more.

Cars and TVs also improve, but probably not enough to get replaced, unless one wants to go from gas to electric for example.

Actually, the incremental safety improvements in car designs can easily warrant upgrades with each redesign of a particular model if you place a high value on the safety of your family as well as your own. Most of us simply assume we'll never have a bad accident and don't worry about it.

I agree that if one wants better high ISO or more room to crop, that may result in a new camera. But if you look around at some of photo sharing sites, some great photographs are still being taken by cameras considered very old tech by gear heads. Those artists who are perfectly happy with cameras like the old Canon 20D seem to have different priorities than having a clean ISO 6400 or the maximum possible dynamic range. I'm a bit of a gear head myself, I'm not an artist. I have to admit, though, that the artists do just fine with old tech, and when I review my prints from years ago, I question the "value" of some of my gear upgrades.

-- hide signature --

Ging

Ging

There is another point to support your contention.  The 'classic' camera.  I have been lucky to "ping" a few.  The GRD original and the Panasonic LC1 to name two.  The rather unknown, unloved Samsung NV7 was a quite brilliant, if slightly flawed, entry by that company too expensive for the market that thought Samsung only made cheap point'n'shoots.  Even my "original" Canon 5D might be regarded as a game changer today even if now left behind in the march of technology.  All of these camera have top class lenses (if added to the Canon) and take great images today.

The trick is knowing when to buy a game changer when it is still "just another new camera".  Might not be so hard - the Sony RX1 must be a game changer but few will afford the entry price to get a camera that will become a long-term classic.  More will simply buy cheaper cameras and roll them over more regularly in an effort to find that cheap game changer camera that will solve all photographic problems.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,267Gear list
Like?
Tom.....
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jun 28, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Works both ways - these oldies can manage with mobile phones that are just phones and we are now being upgraded in reverse with superseded mobiles (grin).

Hi Tom, yes this reverse cycling works. My wife inherited an iPhone3 a while back from son-in-law who needed "something better". She finds it useful for storing addresses and shopping lists, also makes the odd phone call with it. She was mainly given it so we see grandkids' photos via some dopey Apple application as the "new generation" is too darn lazy to send/answer emails now.

As for selling the camera off when they are still quite useful to get the best price. Well the maths might be individually case by case but my guess that regularly churning over new gear in the short term when the depreciation is highest might be more expensive that keeping one effective camera over a longer period until it is not worth very much at all before replacing it - and maybe using the old one as a door stop.

Keep things going for a long time does work, my Subaru wagon is now over 13 years old and still going as well as new (touch wood), but cameras maybe 4 or 5 years before new stuff desirability rules. The Ricoh R3 (bought Feb 2006 think) is still used occasionally for the odd casual macro. It still delivers in excellent fashion.

If a camera is churned in the early stages someone has bought it and it will surely end up as land fill none the less no matter how many people have owned it.

Very likely, but in my case it ends up as drawer fill and won't become land fill until we fall off the twig.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Angular Mo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?
thank you everyone for contributing your opinions!
In reply to RedDog Steve, Jun 28, 2013

RedDog Steve wrote:

Just hand the camera down to a family member or friend.

when my children become old enough, and actually care to learn about exposure and white balance, then they will get my cameras to be replaced.

I still enjoy my E-P1 and GF1, and of course, my E-1

(if only I can get inspired to use my Contax TVSIII film compact-camera again.)

-- hide signature --

Angular Mo's gear list:Angular Mo's gear list
Samsung NV7 OPS Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Paco 316
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?
In reply to rsmithgi, Jun 28, 2013

rsmithgi wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Angular Mo wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm definitely doing this. Thanks for the tip. I need glass for my new OM-D

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +10 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?
I never sell camera equipment because...I'm not Married
In reply to Angular Mo, Jun 28, 2013

C'mon, we all know that it's your significant other who makes you sell the gear you no longer use

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,267Gear list
Like?
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...I'm not Married
In reply to dougjgreen1, Jun 28, 2013

dougjgreen1 wrote:

C'mon, we all know that it's your significant other who makes you sell the gear you no longer use

Not always true, I think my wife is a bigger collector and keeper than I am.

Our two daughters occasionally fight over who will have to clean out our house when we drop off the twig, neither wants the task! Now 43 years of collecting and still going.....

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to ashley161, Jun 28, 2013

OOPs. That was the 1.9M Coolpix 2100, circa 2003, that I have. I was thinking of one of the work cameras.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Thomas Toolan
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to Angular Mo, Jul 2, 2013

I just hold onto it long enough it comes back up in price. I have an F2AS and a F3/T that are both worth more than I paid for them originally. Both bought used before people decided film cameras were more than expensive paperweights.

Tom

Thomas Toolan's gear list:Thomas Toolan's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads