What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Polls
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,110Gear list
Like?
Re: What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 28, 2013

The results of this poll clearly indicates the shortcomings of EVIL cameras: slow autofocus and viewfinder issues be it lack of a real viewfinder or refresh rates on framing photographs properly, e.g. panning/action.  Olympus, Sony, and Panasonic should take note if they want to survive!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?
Maybe you should do a poll. . .
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jun 28, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I listed the reasons I remembered reading about....

...and didn't consider there might others or even some people might have "no reason".

Clearly someone as brilliant as you would do a crackerjack job.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 28, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

The results of this poll clearly indicates the shortcomings of EVIL cameras: slow autofocus and viewfinder issues be it lack of a real viewfinder or refresh rates on framing photographs properly, e.g. panning/action. Olympus, Sony, and Panasonic should take note if they want to survive!

Yeah. Because listening to a heap of people with none/limited experience of their products is a great way to determine fact.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
RedFox88
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Jun 29, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Yeah. Because listening to a heap of people with none/limited experience of their products is a great way to determine fact.

So you disagree with the fact that focusing of EVIL cameras are slower than SLR cameras and that framing photos through the rear LCD or an EVF is more difficult because of the refresh rate and that LCD screen have compared to OVF that works at the speed of light?

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Re: Maybe you should do a poll. . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 29, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I listed the reasons I remembered reading about....

...and didn't consider there might others or even some people might have "no reason".

Clearly someone as brilliant as you would do a crackerjack job.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

What do you like best about Crackerjack?

_ Caramel covered popcorn

_ Peanuts

_ Prize

_ other

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 29, 2013

I think he disagrees with the fact that focusing on most mirrorless cameras isn't fast enough, and that updating an image at the 'speed of light' is necessary in spite of our many-orders-of-magnitude-slower nervous system (case in point, how nobody ever speaks of mirror delay even though it's on the same order of magnitude as an LCD's refresh rate).

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,585Gear list
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

So you disagree with the fact that focusing of EVIL cameras are slower than SLR cameras and that framing photos through the rear LCD or an EVF is more difficult because of the refresh rate andthat LCD screen have compared to OVF that works at the speed of light?

In both cases, it depends on the cameras and situations being compared.

If you're trying to focus in low light, or with manual focus, etc, then EVF may be better and easier. If you're trying to chase a fast moving object through a long lens, then OVF may be better (though I think there's a better solution than EVF/OVF for that).

As for focus speed. Yeah, I'd put the OM-D up against most DSLR's for S-AF.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,275Gear list
Like?

Mjankor wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

So you disagree with the fact that focusing of EVIL cameras are slower than SLR cameras and that framing photos through the rear LCD or an EVF is more difficult because of the refresh rate andthat LCD screen have compared to OVF that works at the speed of light?

If you're trying to focus in low light, or with manual focus, etc, then EVF may be better and easier. If you're trying to chase a fast moving object through a long lens, then OVF may be better (though I think there's a better solution than EVF/OVF for that).

As for focus speed. Yeah, I'd put the OM-D up against most DSLR's for S-AF.

Agreed.

Then there's that size thing. Canon has made a valiant attempt at producing a DSLR that can compete with mirrorless on size and weight with its SL1 (100D). While it appears to compare favorably when viewed from the front... http://j.mp/14g6oVz

...view it from the top with a standard zoom and it points out the unchangeable DSLR downsides of fat bodies and oversized lenses: http://j.mp/14g6D2S

The E-M5 is currently the most complete expression of mirrorless advantages:

• small, light, rugged weathersealed alloy body
  • a comprehensive system of equally small and light high quality lenses
  • Excellent EVF with virtually instant refresh that can show all settings, a histogram and a level or simply a grid at your option
  • 9 fps shooting capability
  • 5-axis IBIS, the benchmark for all IBIS systems
  • always spot-on accurate and fast CDAF
  • tilt and touch 3" OLED screen
  • 14x image magnification in the EVF or OLED screen for fine focusing distant and macro subjects
  • excellent low-light IQ
  • dual control wheels

Once mirrorless improves focus tracking (only a matter of time, hopefully in the OM-D II this fall) to solve the one remaining downside, there will be no rational reason left for lugging about oversized DSLR bodies and lenses, only resistance to change by people who haven't even tried the cameras, an ever diminishing audience.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
sderdiarian
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Jun 29, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

As for focus speed. Yeah, I'd put the OM-D up against most DSLR's for S-AF.Agreed.

Agreed.

Then there's that size thing. Canon has made a valiant attempt at producing a DSLR that can compete with mirrorless on size and weight with its SL1 (100D). While it appears to compare favorably when viewed from the front... http://j.mp/14g6oVz

...view it from the top with a standard zoom and it points out the unchangeable DSLR downsides of fat bodies and oversized lenses: http://j.mp/14g6D2S

The E-M5 is currently the most complete expression of mirrorless advantages:

• small, light, rugged weathersealed alloy body
  • a comprehensive system of equally small and light high quality lenses
  • Excellent EVF with virtually instant refresh that can show all settings, a histogram and a level or simply a grid at your option
  • 9 fps shooting capability
  • 5-axis IBIS, the benchmark for all IBIS systems
  • always spot-on accurate and fast CDAF
  • tilt and touch 3" OLED screen
  • 14x image magnification in the EVF or OLED screen for fine focusing distant and macro subjects
  • excellent low-light IQ
  • dual control wheels

Once mirrorless improves focus tracking (only a matter of time, hopefully in the OM-D II this fall) there will be no rational reason left for lugging about oversized DSLR bodies and lenses.  Only resistance to change by people who likely haven't even tried the cameras, an ever diminishing audience.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
sderdiarian
Like?
Re: DPR edit feature not working, apologies

First tried to edit my first post above so it was clear what was new and what was quoted, but the edit option wouldn't come up, so I then tried to withdraw and re-post, but it wouldn't allow me to withdraw it since I was the original author!  Time to call in the mechanic again, DPR .

Apologies for the duplication.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

sderdiarian wrote:

Once mirrorless improves focus tracking (only a matter of time, hopefully in the OM-D II this fall) there will be no rational reason left for lugging about oversized DSLR bodies and lenses. Only resistance to change by people who likely haven't even tried the cameras, an ever diminishing audience.

Oh please.

Believe it or not, some people actually LIKE a larger camera. just because you don't does not mean that those that do are wrong, or, as you state ' resistance to change by people who likely haven't even tried the cameras'

Buy/use the camera YOU like and find convenient/fun to use, but please, allows others to do the same.

Personally, I own 3 FF DSLRs.  I also own 2 mirrorless cameras.  A Panasonic GX1 and an NEX-6.  I use all my cameras pretty much equally.  I grab a particular camera based on what it is I intend to be shooting.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

RedFox88
Like?

Mjankor wrote:

for S-AF.

Just what is that?  Please write out your words instead of abbreviation that are not standard.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

for S-AF.

Just what is that? Please write out your words instead of abbreviation that are not standard.

S-AF stands for Single Auto Focus. It is where the camera focuses on an area one time and doesn't then try to change focus. When acquiring quick focus and taking a picture in a split second, you don't want a camera that is as accurate as these trying to re-focus.

DPR has repeatedly said comments like these about the latest mirrorless cameras...

Single AF acquisition is impressively fast - using most Micro Four Thirds lenses will result in some of the fastest focus on any system.

Of course you already know that the CDAF focusing used by these cameras is also the most accurate from the DPR article/report...

1. Phase-detection autofocus (even using still targets and center-point only) wasn’t nearly as accurate as contrast detection.

2. The contrast-detection autofocus was about as accurate as the most careful manual focusing.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/01/Roger-Cicala-Lensrentals-Canon-Autofocus-marketing-claims

So there you go.

- some of the fastest focus on any system.

- the MOST accurate focusing

Who wouldn't want that??

jtan163
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286Gear list
Like?

Two things.

There are full frame mirrorless. I'm assuming by which you mean 35mm. RX1, Lecia.

You forgot the "nothing I have a mirrorless camera and it rocks my socks" and "nothing is stopping me except money" options.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
In a word, Quality
-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?
Nothing. I did change.

And haven't looked back.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
RedSkiesAtNight
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Re: In a word, Quality
In reply to eNo, Jun 30, 2013

eNo wrote:

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

No need to be afraid of quality.

AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Re: In a word, Quality
In reply to eNo, Jul 1, 2013

Could you be a little more specific?

Quality of what?  Images?  Camera build?  Lenses?

I own micro43, NEX and FF DSLRs.  I think all are good quality.

I do have nits to pick with Sony regarding the 'quality' of their firmware, but build quality is excellent.  As is image quality of both NEX and micro43, and both systems have some stellar lenses (and some less so too).

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

ironcam
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Not missing at all, in my opinion.
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jul 1, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

Everyone is going on about how people aren't buying mirrorless cameras in the amounts that the industry expected them to, and how they seem to be more popular in Asia than in Europe and North America I wanted some clue as to why. Getting information from people who HAVE purchased a mirrorless camera didn't seem pertinent to the question.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

This video pretty much explains why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWGmnnXz0c

Most people don't even know quality mirrorless camera's exist.

FrankyM
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169Gear list
Like?
Samsung's answer to this question
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jul 1, 2013
 FrankyM's gear list:FrankyM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads