What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Polls
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,674
Like?
Re: What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 26, 2013

What prevents me?

Me, of course.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wfektar
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
Is that you, Dr Pangloss?
In reply to charleyd, Jun 26, 2013

Of course, perhaps not everybody thinks there's no room for improvement.

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,290
Like?
funny, I thought it was mirrorless users who were ignorant
In reply to Sonyshine, Jun 27, 2013

You see, mirrorless manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank. They've got people believing a mirrorless lens somehow has some magic that makes it equal to the same F-stop FF lens. Sure, it's half the diameter, half the size, but presto, due to marketing magic it works just as well!

Hey, I can sell you a F2.8 lens for the same money as a F2.8 FF lens, and it cost less. Only it's really just a F5.6 lens, which is equal to a dSLR kit lens that can be had for $150, and offers higher resolution.

Funny how these same mirrorless users refuse to believe a F2.8 cell phone will equal their cameras. I guess magic only works one way. So, who is the ignorant one?

Sonyshine wrote:

I think the main reason people don't move to mirrorless is just ignorance.

Once you have really tried a decent system you will become hooked on them!

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,290
Like?
Re: What prevents you from moving to a dSLR camera?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 27, 2013

What prevents you from moving to a dSLR?

Too heavy?

What prevents you from moving to mirrorless? Too expensive, lack of accesories, poor daylight visibility, lack of len choices, no lowlight lens, no tilt shift, short battery life, slow turn on time, slow AF, image quality, high noise.

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?

Ahm, what if we have mirrorless?  How do we answer?  IMHO there is no reason for ME to have a flipping mirror.  I don't do those things that some people believe focus isn't fast enough for.  Hence I bought my first mirrorless in 2008, a Panasonic G1.  It has since been converted to IR.  I moved to mirrorless from superzooms.  My last film camera was SLR, but when I went to digital, DSLRs were outrageously expensive.

Then I wanted "more" and got a Sony SLT A55.  Not mirrorless, but the mirror doesn't flip and the viewfinder is EVF.  Then an A77.  I really like the features of the Sony cameras.  But then the A77 seemed  heavy, and I discovered the Olympus OM-D E-M5 so it's the new baby in my house.  I think the A77 will remain my primary camera but who  knows.

I got hooked on EVFs with the superzooms and don't like OVFs because you can't see what you are going to get. Besides, only FF DSLRs have OVFs of the quality of my Canon film SLR.    "Live view" all the time, eye-level or LCD.  I love it!

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

I assume you mean your question to be: what prevents you from switching from your DSLR to mirrorless.

Many people own a mirrorless camera in addition to their DSLR.

I own two mirrorless cameras.  A Panasonic GX1 and a Sony NEX-6.

I actually prefer the GX1, but the lack of a builtin EVF is at times a liability.  And that is why I bought the NEX-6.  I still own and use my FF DSLRs, but I use them for a different purpose than my mirrorless.

The DSLRs I use in the studio, while the mirrorless I take on vacation or to parties.  If i were to head somewhere truely spectacular (ie: Angkor Wat) I would take a DSLR and lenses.

The upcoming GX7 is 'rumored' to have a builtin EVF, and if that is the case, I will buy it and  likely stop using the NEX.

The NEX is a fine piece of hardware that is, unfortunately, let down by poor firmware.  Sony has not yet grasped that NEX cameras have been embraced by advanced users.  Instead they are still aiming at the novice and have dumbed down the controls of the camera.

Panasonic, on the other hand, seem to be aiming at the more advanced users and have made the camera, not only very photographer friendly, but also much more configurable than NEX.

I just hope Panasonic add focus peaking to their camera SOON.  It is a very useful feature, and another reason for the NEX to stay in my stable.

As for abandoning my DSLRs... not anytime soon.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717
Like?
Re: funny, I thought it was mirrorless users who were ignorant
In reply to tko, Jun 27, 2013

Maybe it is you? Apart from the obvious (lenses themselves are not mirrorless) your main point is about sensor sizes. A large part of the mirrorless cameras use the same size (APS-C) sensor as mirrored DX. So for this, ypu only have the DX- v FX debate. And, yes, m43 is one stop smaller

tko wrote:

You see, mirrorless manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank. They've got people believing a mirrorless lens somehow has some magic that makes it equal to the same F-stop FF lens. Sure, it's half the diameter, half the size, but presto, due to marketing magic it works just as well!

Hey, I can sell you a F2.8 lens for the same money as a F2.8 FF lens, and it cost less. Only it's really just a F5.6 lens, which is equal to a dSLR kit lens that can be had for $150, and offers higher resolution.

Funny how these same mirrorless users refuse to believe a F2.8 cell phone will equal their cameras. I guess magic only works one way. So, who is the ignorant one?

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

The only advantage I see them them vs. Sony's SLT is size. And with that, they still aren't small enough to fit in my pocket, so I still need a bag. Once I'm relegated to using a bag, the size of that bag doesn't bother me, and I might as well carry around a DSLR that has a full set of external controls (via dedicated buttons) that large enough to easily grip with a full hand.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,776
Like?

I just don't see how inferior viewfinder, autofocus, lens selection, image quality, pathetic battery life, poor handling (GH3+grip being the only exception) compared to what I already have would help me.

The problem is too big to replace a compact; too small and not good enough to replace a good DSLR. The bloated prices aren't helping much either.

coudet
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, Jun 27, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

It was, however, another quite excellent, yet affordable product that really caused me to delay buying into the Fuji X system. The Canon EF 40mm 2.8 STM "pancake" lens, on a 5D DSLR, results in a quite handy, compact package, that lessened my perceived need for a Fuji X-Pro.

I've been preaching this approach for a long time. Put a pancake on a FF DSLR, and you get an easy-to-carry combo, and you get it without sacrificing good viewfinder, handling and battery life. Pretty sweet.

Another camera I really like is the Sony RX1.

Nice sensor, nice lens, but that's about it. You'd have to think it's just a matter of time before they (and others) do a FF mirrorless with interchangeable lenses, especially since pellicle Sonys are a dead end and will be scrapped eventually.

coudet
Like?
Re: funny, I thought it was mirrorless users who were ignorant
In reply to tko, Jun 27, 2013

tko wrote:

Don't laugh, marketing guys are good at what they do.

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

The option "I already have a mirrorless camera" seems to be missing.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,007
Like?
Not missing at all, in my opinion.
In reply to Ulric, Jun 27, 2013

Everyone is going on about how people aren't buying mirrorless cameras in the amounts that the industry expected them to, and how they seem to be more popular in Asia than in Europe and North America  I wanted some clue as to why.  Getting information from people who HAVE purchased a mirrorless camera didn't seem pertinent to the question.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?

What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?

No Nikon Mount, slow AF, no FF, poor/slow RAW-Converter, no 1/16000s, no 8K Progressive @ 60f RAW-Video, no affordable 8K Displays + Computer for Editing, no Wireless Timer...

Regards: Carsten

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699
Like?
No reason to change

It's simple, and your poll choices don't fit for me. I haven't seen compelling reasons to change.

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,742
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'm still using my Oly E30, but I'm selling my VStar motorcycle (Getting too old to comfortably throw a leg over) so I'm seriously thinking of getting a Fuji X series camera with an OVF since it meets most of my objections to mirrorless. But while we see lots of arguments here regarding the merits specific mirrorless cameras, up till now, we haven't really been able to quantify people's objections.

I tried to list the objections I recall reading about in the past. I didn't include or exclude any because I thought they were particularly cogent or stupid; I'm looking for people's honest beliefs regardless of what "I" think of those beliefs.

For me, it has primarily been the lack of a quality OVF/EVF, and too, most of them haven't exactly been speed demons (Though my shooting style doesn't require speed, I still want it, if possible and if I don't have to compromise on other stuff).

This is just for fun.

For me personally its not just the speed of the OVF but the greater dynamic range, I shoot a lot of landscapes with high DR and I like to be able to see what i'm composing in the shadows that I may want to lift in post.

I have considered buying a mirrorless system/large sensor compact for use on the street where my D800's size can be more of an issue, for landscape use though it would need some pretty serious trekking for me to leave it at home.

In that respect I think mirrorless would be more useful to me should I ever be in the position to move up to medium format. Size wise I think that's actually were you start to see a big advantage, why I'd say rangefinders made up a much larger percentage of the medium format market than they did the 35mm market.

I'd add as well that the nature of digital sensors seems to render a lot of the advantges for wide angle lenses on mirrorless moot, designs need to be retrofocal in order to avoid having the light coming in at too steep an angle.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,511
Like?
Re: The word "ignorance" is an emotion laden term. . .

Sonyshine wrote:

"ignorance" as in never having used a mirrorless camera, as in fear of the unknown, as in they don't know what they are missing!

This is like my mother in law saying 'But you've never tasted THESE mashed potatoes! You don't know what you're missing!'

It's not like mirrorless is some exciting and unique new experience in taking photos. I've used smaller cameras, cameras with EVF's, cameras that take decent photos.

But go ahead, what am I 'missing' that I haven't gotten from other non-DSLR cameras?

sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

Sonyshine wrote:

I think the main reason people don't move to mirrorless is just ignorance.

Once you have really tried a decent system you will become hooked on them!

LOL. this guy knows everyone's needs and priorities and mirrorless fits them all!

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,511
Like?

What prevents you from moving to Rhode Island?

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,007
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jun 27, 2013

I've been to Rhode Island. . .

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads