Fuji X100S Vs. XM1 + XF 27mm f2.8 Lens

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
newbiequestions
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Fuji X100S Vs. XM1 + XF 27mm f2.8 Lens
10 months ago

Hi all,

I was almost set up on buying the X100S until I saw the annoucement of the new XM1. I am looking for a compact camera to carry so I don't like the zoom lens of the XM1 I but read nice thing about the costly XF 27mm f2.8 lens.

On the + side of X100S: everyone seems to love this camera. On the + side for XM1: built-in WiFi, interchangeable lenses (not for now but who knows), all-in-black option.

So Fuji X100S for $1,300 or XM1+XF 27mm f2.8 lens for $1,150? The prices are so similar it is driving me crazy!

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X100S Vs. XM1 + XF 27mm f2.8 Lens
In reply to newbiequestions, 10 months ago

you get a faster lens (f/2) and that wonderful optical view finder with the x100s

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ross Murphy, 10 months ago

Ross Murphy wrote:

you get a faster lens (f/2) and that wonderful optical view finder with the x100s

Wonderful viewfinder in general I'd say.  Whether the great OVF or the much improved EVF you at least get a viewfinder on the X100s.  That combined with the faster lens, actual controls (and not just a PASM dial), for me, the X100S/X100 has it all over the XM-1 with the 27 f2.8.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
gearhorse
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

Personally I'd take the X100S as I prefer it's controls and enjoy shooting with a viewfinder (EVF or OVF).

Either choice would be excellent though, and I'd say it really comes down to if you want a fixed lens or a system camera.

samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,096
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, 10 months ago

Agreed, I'd go x100s.
Like I posted on another similar thread- I'd get the x100s now and wait for the x-e2 & x-pro2 later this year.

If you get the x-m1 now you might find yourself wanting to upgrade once the new Xp2/Xe2 comes out.

newbiequestions
Like?

But it's hard to forget that the XM1 has built-in WiFi (important for me) and the same sensor as the X-Pro1 (I have read it is amazing and better than the one of the X100S). Plus it is smaller and lighter. Are these features combined less important than a faster lens?

Note: I am not interested in building a system around it for now, and coming from P&S the absence of viewfinder doesn't bother me that much.

Ybor
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?

think of the 100s as one lens that is fairly expensive. then buy something  with interchangeable lenses.

If you can buy just one, don't get the 100s.

dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321Gear list
Like?
leaf shutter
In reply to Ybor, 10 months ago

may not last long unless you don't shoot that much

it's 1 thing I'm still leery about the 100s

the OVF/EVF is such a boon to have even though the flip up LCD is also very useful on the E-M1

If it were my money I'd invest in the EM1 and more lenses, it's just more practical for the long run

the 100s is a luxury item for those who have more disposable income

Cheers ,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
newbiequestions
Like?
X-M1 + XF35mm instead
In reply to dv312, 10 months ago

What about the XF 35mm f1.4 with the X-M1? I know it's weird to buy a lens almost the price of the camera but the total would be $1,300 = exactly the price of the X100S, and it seems that I get the best of both worlds.

JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,806Gear list
Like?
Re: leaf shutter
In reply to dv312, 10 months ago

dv312 wrote:

may not last long unless you don't shoot that much

it's 1 thing I'm still leery about the 100s

the OVF/EVF is such a boon to have even though the flip up LCD is also very useful on the E-M1

If it were my money I'd invest in the EM1 and more lenses, it's just more practical for the long run

the 100s is a luxury item for those who have more disposable income

Cheers ,

I agree.

ScottD1964
Like?

newbiequestions wrote:

But it's hard to forget that the XM1 has built-in WiFi (important for me) and the same sensor as the X-Pro1 (I have read it is amazing and better than the one of the X100S). Plus it is smaller and lighter. Are these features combined less important than a faster lens?

Note: I am not interested in building a system around it for now, and coming from P&S the absence of viewfinder doesn't bother me that much.

Actually the XM-1 has the same EXR II processor and X Trans sensor that's in the X100s.  It is one generation newer than the processor that is in the X Pro-1.

Scott

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,423Gear list
Like?
Re: leaf shutter
In reply to JimMc, 10 months ago

Sensor in the X100s is slightly better than the sensor in the XM1, XE1 and XPro1 which is the earlier model sensor.

The X100s sensor has phase detect pixels so X100s has 2 types of autofocus working whereas XM1, XE1 and XPro only have 1. I have both X100s and XE1 and X100s has slightly better IQ than XE1. Not massive but noticeable. XM1 has the latest processor so we will have to wait and see if the processor is part of the reason for that IQ improvement.

X100s is a wonderful camera and feels fabulous, well made, solid. The lens is spectacular and I suspect a lot better performing thant he 27mm pancake (sample images from that were very suspect in my opinion).

On the other hand being able to change lenses is very handy.

When you say you are not fussed by no viewfinder (the X100s has 2 - electronic and optical) you would if your camera had one. The EVF is very handy for reviewing images clearly and in detail in bright daylight that an LCD rear screen can't match.

As for wifi I believe you can get wfif SD memory cards. Others can comment on that. But perhaps built in wifi is the biggest draw for the XM1 here.

Early to say but I doubt XM1 with 27 pancake can match image quality of X100s. No proof of that yet except the 27 pancake image samples. To me they are very poor with left and right sides of some images being extremely soft and field curvature being excessive. Some looked fine but those were carefully composed to hide the field curvature just like with a fisheye lens it can look normal if you shoot angling the lens just slightly up from horizontal.

Perhaps the zoom may be the better choice than the pancake. The 18-55 XFR zoom is superb. I was just using mine yesterday and was marvelling at how sharp and great it is.

Greg.

Luego
Contributing MemberPosts: 886
Like?

newbiequestions wrote:

Hi all,

I was almost set up on buying the X100S until I saw the annoucement of the new XM1. I am looking for a compact camera to carry so I don't like the zoom lens of the XM1 I but read nice thing about the costly XF 27mm f2.8 lens.

On the + side of X100S: everyone seems to love this camera. On the + side for XM1: built-in WiFi, interchangeable lenses (not for now but who knows), all-in-black option.

So Fuji X100S for $1,300 or XM1+XF 27mm f2.8 lens for $1,150? The prices are so similar it is driving me crazy!

Before purchasing my X100S I also considered the X-pro 1 and the X-E1.  For me it was the size and build quality that led me to the final decision.

My favorites FL is 35mm and the X100S is the right size for my waist bag. It also has WiFi support capability.

Cheers,

Luego

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,044Gear list
Like?

There is something for everyone now. Pesonally, a viewfinder is a requirement. I can live without the wifi and tilty screen. If you know your style and what you intend to do then decisions are not so difficult. I love my XE1 and lenses but if I went for a backup, I would go X100S over the Mini

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?

Get the X-M1, i have an X-E1 and 95% of the shots i take are captured using the LCD rather than the viewfinder. Build a lens collection and upgrade the body as and when needed. Much better long term investment than an x100s.

briny
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

According to Fuji's specs , the X-M1 has the X-Trans CMOS sensor, not the X-trans CMOS II that is in the X100S.

The X-M1 does have the newer EXR PROCESSOR II, though.

digicosmos
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?

The great OVF on the X100s is what sets the camera apart from the others.  Street photographers will really appreciate it.  However, if street is not what you mainly do, I think people new to photography will appreciate X-M1 more, which operates more like a conventional mirrorless such as the Sony NEX.  I remember how much time I spent getting used to the X100.

digicosmos's gear list:digicosmos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-5 IIs +20 more
Lernerimplants
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Hi
I wish I had this choice in the USA.

The Fuji X100S has been essentially unobtainable for the last several months. Nothing is in stock.

ScottD1964
Like?
In reply to briny, 10 months ago

briny wrote:

According to Fuji's specs , the X-M1 has the X-Trans CMOS sensor, not the X-trans CMOS II that is in the X100S.

The X-M1 does have the newer EXR PROCESSOR II, though.

Thanks for the correction.

Scott

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
Just got a new Black X100 for $900, better skin tones than E1 and Pro1

Read X100 vs X100S posts, the X100 has "better skin tones than S and X-E1."

eBay has the new black model for $900 from seller with over 10,000 feedbacks. X100 silver for $ 800.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51645330 (Why do some people prefer the IQ of X100 against the X-E1 (Bayer vs X-Trans)?

Here are some opinions from some posts there:

"I have both the X100 and the X-Pro1 and while I cannot say I definitely prefer one over the other, they each have their pluses. I find the silky nature of X100 images to be really attractive. It provides detail without texture."

"The original X100 sensor is definitely better than the X-trans sensor of the X-E1 (and X-pro1). I was really disappointed with the file quality (raw) and sold my X-E1 after a couple of months of use. In my opinion the X-trans is a marketing trick. We as customers would have been better off with a non X-trans sensor...

I´m on my 2nd X100 now. The first one was killed by salt water 3 weeks ago, and it was not a option to buy the X100S with X-trans sensor. Luckily I found a store with the original X100 in stock."

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads