Which one of this is a best one?

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Polls
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,388
Like?
Re: Which one of this is a best one?
In reply to artlmntl, Jun 26, 2013

Sounds like a great opportunity to suggest an RX100!

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ak1981
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
In reply to ak1981, Jun 27, 2013

Hi guys,

The poll converted into fight between 65 and 77...lol its fun!:-D

I made this poll to know that the first A55 is best or the upgraded version A57, also the very unexpected and quick upgrade of 57 the unknown 58 (still dont know why ppl upgrade 57 to 58, Sony knows better). surely this poll help some ppl who confuse about this 55vs57vs58.

this poll conversation given me another poll idea. 58 vs 65 vs 77 

Thanks for your vote.

ak1981's gear list:ak1981's gear list
Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
In reply to artlmntl, Jun 27, 2013

My wife actually prefers an SLR like camera. She likes how it is a substantial camera, and she appreciates the much nicer much more memorable shots you get from it. I actually made a mistake once, for about 6 months. We had this Canon Rebel that we had for years. No special lenses or anything, just the kit + 1 telezoom. It was the original 6mp Rebel. The pictures were great. Colors were good, sharp, nice depth in most photos. Didn't think anything else, just lugged the camera around for years on end. Started building a nice family photo library. Kept on buying USB drive after USB drive, with backups of backups (still doing that of course, but now they're like 3TB needing like 2 days to make a backup of, lol).

Ok, so, the Canon finally broke. I think we *actually* wore out the shutter. I was stumped. How could this happen? Ok, so now what. Nah, all these SLRs are all past times now. Let's get something handy, something you can stick in your pocket. So I got this $250 Panasonic camera. *Very* compact, great zoom, optical stabilizer (! in such a small package), and I swear, with probably 10 times the number of options in the menus as anything else ever made. The toddler has been playing with it, and he's discovered all kinds of slideshows with background music, and has been discovered so many features, it's absurd. We used that camera for 6 months (a number of years ago). Pictures at first glance seemed ok. But... everything is flat, infinite dof, colors are blant, videos look like crap, zooming in makes pixels look like a mixed up soup. Awful. Then, the A33 when it came out. We're back again! Plus then on a lens hunt. Lens after lens after lens. An box in the mail just about every other week.

Looking back at the photo library, I'm knocking my head. Why oh why did I do this? The Canon photos were good, the Sony photos were very good, but w t h is up with that P&S era. Wife feels the same way.

So now you see people more and more waving around pocket cameras, and... good grief... cell phones. Arg. Iphone this, Android that. Kids preschool graduation. Parents show up. Picture time. Out come the cell phones. Some even brought their tablets. A few SLRs. I'm there with my handy A57, with the flip out screen, taking photos and video. Much handier than any product any of the other parents were using. The SLRs all look like dinosaurs. Squinting through tiny holes. I'm there with the flip out screen, holding the camera low, looking down on the screen, and getting on all the kids' level. I'm the only one coming home with good and more memorable shots than the rest. You'd figure that at least one parent would ask "hey, that's neat, what's that you're using". But oh no, the way people are, people just frown and say absolutely nothing. O well, their loss.

So... if there is the possibility of talking the wife out of the P&S, and get everyone to stop using cell phones to capture life's moments, do it. Cell phones ought to not have any cameras built in, or, people shouldn't be using it to replace proper photography. It is totally worth it going through the pains of using a full size proper camera.

As for kids. If you don't have any kids, you have much less expenses. Splurge and get the A77. It's got things like IR focus assist light, focus adjust, more focus points, and from the looks of it, even though it has the same sensor, the measured results are that the A77 is better than the A65 (is it though? have to verify this)...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
artlmntl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, Jun 27, 2013

Thanks, Mike. That was a cool post! I have kids, too. My wife is happy where she's at. I don't think she's going to change. She values convenience. And when she wants something more, she calls me. That's the deal, and it's fine. As for the A57, I'm with you about the extended capabilities, the screen, everything. It's good stuff! I'm thinking, when the time comes, an A77 is the right move. Even if the pricetag is a bit steeper, it should be worth it for better build quality and added features. Meanwhile, I'll keep shooting what I've got. The postman delivered the variable ND filter I ordered, and I want to see what it does. So, the adventure continues.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
In reply to artlmntl, Jun 27, 2013

Meanwhile, I'll keep shooting what I've got.

Same here. I'm focusing on composition and whatnot these days. This vacation, while the kids are playing, I'll be finishing my new favorite book: The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman. Just kidding... the youngest is almost two, and I'll be running after him 24/7 pretty much minus nappy time. That's when thing 2 will start bugging me of course. That's what I love about the SLTs. It's so easy to capture all that action with it.

The postman delivered the variable ND filter I ordered, and I want to see what it does. So, the adventure continues.

That'll be neat. You could give rivers, streams, and waterfalls, give that smooth look in broad daylight. I have to get me one of those. What percentage does it darken? Or are there kits with a bunch of them in a pack for like $5 delivered, from China through Ebay these days (lol)...?

ps. you ever use a grey card and do raw processing? My grey card came in but I haven't used it yet.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
artlmntl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, Jun 27, 2013

123Mike wrote:

the youngest is almost two, and I'll be running after him 24/7 pretty much minus nappy time. That's when thing 2 will start bugging me of course. That's what I love about the SLTs. It's so easy to capture all that action with it.

That's a lot of fun! Yes you will be running after him, and I agree about the SLTs.

The postman delivered the variable ND filter I ordered, and I want to see what it does. So, the adventure continues.

That'll be neat. You could give rivers, streams, and waterfalls, give that smooth look in broad daylight. I have to get me one of those. What percentage does it darken? Or are there kits with a bunch of them in a pack for like $5 delivered, from China through Ebay these days (lol)...?

That's my hope! And better skies, maybe in concert with my circular polarizer. More testing! I bought a Vivitar 62mm variable nd2-nd1000 from Amazon for about $25. That seemed like the best plan. I was busy today, so maybe I can start testing tomorrow.

ps. you ever use a grey card and do raw processing? My grey card came in but I haven't used it yet.

I have a grey card but I haven't used it in years. And I am all RAW all the time. It's blessing and curse, but I do adore that extra dollop of creative control!

-- hide signature --

Hunter

ak1981
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
In reply to ak1981, Jun 30, 2013

A-57 rules all the way in this poll.

I know A-55 is great camera but some lack in it which fulfilled by Sony in A-57 someway but the A-58 is really a bad move by Sony which can be proven by this very small poll.

Sony a great lesson for you. if you upgrade things make sure that upgrade is useful for consumers.

Regards.

ak1981's gear list:ak1981's gear list
Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,044Gear list
Like?
Sony A55
In reply to ak1981, Jul 13, 2013

The A57 is obviously the "best camera" in the group, but I voted for the A55 simply because I like the smaller form factor.

I really love this camera. The size, weight, and ergonomics are great. And the IQ is not too shabby either...

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
JustaBhoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
In reply to ak1981, Jul 13, 2013

I went with the A57, very happy with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads