Einstein E640W Strobe

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Re: Einstein E640W Strobe
In reply to montygm, Jun 28, 2013

montygm wrote:

I have read that it's smaller cousins the Alien Bees have some minor issues with hot spots, and reddish colour casts and also some inconsistency with colour. Would also like to hear your personal opinion on it as well if you are happy with the light quality or any thing else for that matter.

I do not have an Einstein, but I do have 6 Alien Bees.

Any hot spots, or for that matter color cast, is likely to be a function of the light modifier you use than the light itself.

In my case I have zero issues with color being inconsistant or having any kind of a color cast.  I used to use umbrellas, but now I mainly use the large PLM and direct lighting with scrims.

My overall experience with Paul C. Buff is that they are an excellentt company that make very good products at good prices.  I also like their CyberSync RF triggers.  Very reliable.

Finally, their service is second to none.  This is important if you ever need a unit repaired.  Repair prices are more than reasonable and turn around is quick.

Some of my Alien Bees are over 10 years old, and still going strong.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AllMankind
Like?

montygm wrote:

Thanks for the shots Sailor,

Must say I didn't quite expect that much of a difference in colour shift. Very interesting to know. Would make shooting against white background very frustrating.

Not really.  Assuming you are not changing power setting a lot once setup, nor changing light modifiers, shoot a test shot with a target (ie: Macbeth Color Checker) in it.

In your raw converter (you are shooting RAW, right?) use the target to set the WB and then apply to all the shots.

-- hide signature --

AllMankind
Like?
Re: A.B. light durability

montygm wrote:

Wow! Hard to imagine any company fixing any thing for free now a days. Lucky for you some one there was really generous.

I dropped my CyberSync RF transmitter and broke the hotshoe. I returned it to AB for repair with a note saying I had dropped it. I got it back 3 or 4 days later, fixed and no charge. It was also out of warranty.

Paul C. Buff have very good service.

By the way, I think the Einstein's are a very good choice.  When I buy my next AB, I will buy an Einstein.

-- hide signature --

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to montygm, Jun 29, 2013

montygm wrote:

Thanks for the shots Sailor,

Must say I didn't quite expect that much of a difference in colour shift. Very interesting to know. Would make shooting against white background very frustrating.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Grace

If I use the strip softboxes by themselves there isn't a problem since I can use my Datacolor ColorChecker Passport to correct for any color shifts from the diffuser fabric.  As it stands there is no way to mix the strip softboxes with a gridded or barn doored metal reflector, the 40" softbox, or with a hot-shoe flash. Sometimes dry cleaning can remove the UV whiteness enhancers so that will be what I test next.

The manufacturer and supplier of my studio strobes and 40" softboxes is Ekasilp, right here in Bangkok. They don't make strip softboxes, which is why I bought the eBay ones.  If the dry cleaning fails I'll beg Ekasilp for some diffuser material and get a local seamstress to make me some replacements.

EKASILP : Ekasilp Industry Ltd., Part.

Problems like this are why I recommend you buy from a company with a good reputation and a nice range of accessories like Paul C. Buff, Elinchrom, or Bowens.  You are usually okay buying the house brands of well respected companies like Adorama and B&H.  The problem comes when you start mixing accessories and diffusers from different suppliers.  The cost may be a bit higher than if you buy a single brand but the lack of hassle is worth the extra cost.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
montygm
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
In reply to AllMankind, Jun 29, 2013

Thanks for all your feedback. I have read a few people mention the PLM's. Did have a look on their website and they have a few variations of them. Just need to do a bit more research and see which is the right one to get for what I want to do.

Thanks again, all the best,

-- hide signature --

Grace

montygm's gear list:montygm's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
montygm
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jun 29, 2013

Thanks again Sailor,

Had a look at that website you linked. They have quite a few interesting goodies on there. Will have to have a bit more of a closer look at it later. Thanks agin for mentioning about the AB company in the first place. I think I will going with the Einstein's for sure as opposed to the Photoflex Triton initially that I was looking at. Juts need to sort myself out as to which umbrellas and what else I need.

All the best,

-- hide signature --

Grace

montygm's gear list:montygm's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads