Ebay scammer selling Olympus lenses

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions
AllBrands
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Ebay scammer selling Olympus lenses
Jun 26, 2013

This week I ran afoul of an Ebay seller listed as being in Duluth, Georgia who repeatedly cancels transactions using the same lame excuses each time and then relists the same item in an effort to get a higher amount in his next auction:

"I messed up and listed the same lens twice. Sold it to another buyer. Sorry."
"Opened the box for the first time and the lens is cracked. Sorry."

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
Ended: Jun-15 10:38......US $34.00 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-23 12:02......US $38.50 (cancellation request refused by buyer) <-- ME

Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm f2.8
Ended: Jun-15 10:42......US $122.49 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 19:50......US $110.00 (transaction pending)

Olympus Zuiko Digital EC-20 Teleconverter
Ended: Jun-16 20:10......US $227.50 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 16:53......US $264.00 (transaction pending)

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6
Ended: Jun-16 20:33......US $55.15 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 19:43......US $40.05 (transaction pending)

It's unfortunate that Ebay's listing system doesn't draw any attention to the fact that all this seller's feedback is negative. I reported this Ebay user (ssrothlis15) and PayPal account (mydogiscool15@yahoo.con) to the respective resolution departments but they haven't shut him down yet. The only good thing is that he's not going to pick up his money very quickly using a ".con" address! In point of fact, I can still cancel my payment at any time since it's sitting unclaimed. I'd rather have the lens though (shown in mint condition with retail box) for the amount offered at auction.

Out of four items each auctioned twice, two times he got more money the second time and twice he got LESS. Not a very clever fellow. Perhaps this is a child (aged 15?) who hasn't worked out how to be a successful criminal.

BTW: Does it make sense to tell multiple buyers that you just opened the box for the first time AFTER you listed the item with a photo of it sitting outside the box?

Damn, I hate Ebay.

AllBrands's gear list:AllBrands's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Ebay scammer selling Olympus lenses
In reply to AllBrands, Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately there are some real creeps and crims in this world.

IME most people are reasonably honest, decent, etc, but any theory of human nature that fails to include the fact that some are not is doomed to failure ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

AllBrands wrote:

This week I ran afoul of an Ebay seller listed as being in Duluth, Georgia who repeatedly cancels transactions using the same lame excuses each time and then relists the same item in an effort to get a higher amount in his next auction:

"I messed up and listed the same lens twice. Sold it to another buyer. Sorry."
"Opened the box for the first time and the lens is cracked. Sorry."

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
Ended: Jun-15 10:38......US $34.00 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-23 12:02......US $38.50 (cancellation request refused by buyer) <-- ME

Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm f2.8
Ended: Jun-15 10:42......US $122.49 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 19:50......US $110.00 (transaction pending)

Olympus Zuiko Digital EC-20 Teleconverter
Ended: Jun-16 20:10......US $227.50 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 16:53......US $264.00 (transaction pending)

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6
Ended: Jun-16 20:33......US $55.15 (cancelled by Seller)
Ended: Jun-24 19:43......US $40.05 (transaction pending)

It's unfortunate that Ebay's listing system doesn't draw any attention to the fact that all this seller's feedback is negative. I reported this Ebay user (ssrothlis15) and PayPal account (mydogiscool15@yahoo.con) to the respective resolution departments but they haven't shut him down yet. The only good thing is that he's not going to pick up his money very quickly using a ".con" address! In point of fact, I can still cancel my payment at any time since it's sitting unclaimed. I'd rather have the lens though (shown in mint condition with retail box) for the amount offered at auction.

Out of four items each auctioned twice, two times he got more money the second time and twice he got LESS. Not a very clever fellow. Perhaps this is a child (aged 15?) who hasn't worked out how to be a successful criminal.

BTW: Does it make sense to tell multiple buyers that you just opened the box for the first time AFTER you listed the item with a photo of it sitting outside the box?

Damn, I hate Ebay.

i had a spate of cancelled transaction on ebay last year both selling and buying, ebay refuse to do anything about it so i guess it will happen some time again

-- hide signature --

©

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
Don't hate ebay - just this guy & all the scammers like him. :-) *nt*
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,170Gear list
Like?

Thanks for listing the seller's eBay name and paypal account name. That's useful for those of us wanting to avoid this kind of seller.

If all of his feedback is negative, why would you want to bid on his stuff or send him money? People who are dishonest about one thing, especially in negotiating a sale, are generally dishonest about other things that matter. And you bid multiple times on his stuff? Perhaps you bid over a short period of time before you knew what he was like.

You're in Georgia too. Try to get his name. Then do a search for him/her and go pay him a visit. It may be that what he's doing is illegal too. Once you know where he lives you could turn him in. I would withdraw the payment funds. Then offer to go pay in person for getting the lens in hand at a mutually agreeable, safe location.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665Gear list
Like?

Aside from the fact that the seller really doesn't seem to be the smartest of them all (reserve prices do exist for a reason, to name it - cases like this), I don't see what all the fuss is about and where the scam is.

Other than lost time and nerves, buyer loses nothing else - his money is automatically refunded when the transaction is cancelled.

One can obviously speculate that the guy might be trying to rake some fast cash with a credit card which will bounce when Paypal tries to reimburse the seller, but that again is Paypal's problem - part of the 11% off the final price which they shave from honest sellers have to go somewhere. But given the proportions of the "scam" - highly unlikely.

This seller is just dislikable, a liar, and not too smart. That's all. Real scams go way beyond that.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 784Gear list
Like?
Re: There are plenty of good sellers

Well, there are some good sellers out there too. I've had very good experiences with Ebay. I have bought several items from cametaauctions, Henry's, and pvt4545.

In particular about pvt4545, who calls himself, "The Olympus Guy".  I have bought 4 refurbished HG and SHG lenses, an Olympus flash ring, and a twin flash set from this seller.  Always perfect condition, immediate shipping, no problems, and the best prices.  I have checked with Olympus America and he is legit.  Olympus America will sell and honor a four year extended warranty for the refurbished  lenses he sells.  I had a problem with one refurbished lens, the 35-100 f2, after two and a half years of use.  Olympus America honored the extended warranty and repaired it.

From cametaauctions, I have bought a few items also.  Here I bought a refurbished 40-150M.Zuiko and some other items over time.  As with The Olympus guy, I have never had a problem here.

Right now I am expecting another lens in the mail tomorrow.  Can you beat $229 for a refurbished 70-300?  When it's a really bright day, I will use this instead of the 90-250 or 300.  They're so tiringly heavy.

I also sell on Ebay occasionally.  I always photograph and point out any scratches or defects.  I always make sure I give a square deal.  If actual shipping costs less than I charged, I refund the difference.

So, don't hang up on Ebay, but be careful.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
Re: There are plenty of good sellers
In reply to Geo Wharton, Jun 29, 2013

There are some very good sellers on ebay.  I have done very well on SHG lenses, which otherwise would be out of my reach.  Many depressed sellers and depressed prices earlier this year.   Alas, I did not get that 14-35mm lens before the market firmed up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads