Why are Fuji RAF files bigger than Oly ORF files?

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
Why are Fuji RAF files bigger than Oly ORF files?
Jun 25, 2013

Looking through some test shots, I see the Fuji RAF files (XE1) tend to be around 25MB for ISO 200 and Olympus OMD ORF files tend to be around 15MB.

This doesn't make any sense, because they are both about 16MP. Also, the Fuji generally is a little less noisy.

Are ORF files compressed RAW (hopefully loss-less??) and Fuji un- or less-compressed? Is Fuji more bits?

Anyone know the answer?

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are Fuji RAF files bigger than Oly ORF files?
In reply to WT21, Jun 25, 2013

Because the sensor is bigger. More pixels I am pretty sure. The more pixels the bigger the files.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

Fuji files are 12bit, there is currently no 14bit option which would make them even bigger. The difference in size is more or less how the information is compressed. Looks like fuji files are not compressed. Loss less comressed files are smaller and how I used to set my Nikon.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?

just a matter of compression. Yes, I found Fuji files tend to be excellent in term of noise, DR and overall sharpness (at least in LR 5 and with the lenses I have such as 18-55 kit and a bunch of R and M optics)

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777
Like?

WT21 wrote:

Looking through some test shots, I see the Fuji RAF files (XE1) tend to be around 25MB for ISO 200 and Olympus OMD ORF files tend to be around 15MB.

This doesn't make any sense, because they are both about 16MP. Also, the Fuji generally is a little less noisy.

Are ORF files compressed RAW (hopefully loss-less??) and Fuji un- or less-compressed? Is Fuji more bits?

Anyone know the answer?

Fuji and Olympus would know....

-- hide signature --

Mikael

WT21
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Jun 25, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Because the sensor is bigger. More pixels I am pretty sure. The more pixels the bigger the files.

Greg.

Both cameras are 16 MP. Physical sensor size does not drive up file sizes.

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to WT21, Jun 26, 2013

WT21 wrote:

Anyone know the answer?

As stated before, the RAF files aren't compressed. Several manufacturers do compress their raw files (losslessly, but lossy formats exist as well). One giveaway is that the RAF files are always the same size. Compressed raw files generally vary in size.

If you want to save space (a lot of space...), you can compress the RAF files on your computer. If on a Mac or any other Unix machine, use the program 'bzip2' (in the terminal). You can save up to 80%, depending on the scene. There are likely similar compression tools on Windows.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
WT21
Like?
Wow!

Fuji RAF at 16MP 12 bit are even larger (25MB) than my Canon 6D at 21MB 14 bit (23MB)

WT21
Like?
In reply to nixda, Jun 26, 2013

nixda wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Anyone know the answer?

As stated before, the RAF files aren't compressed. Several manufacturers do compress their raw files (losslessly, but lossy formats exist as well). One giveaway is that the RAF files are always the same size. Compressed raw files generally vary in size.

If you want to save space (a lot of space...), you can compress the RAF files on your computer. If on a Mac or any other Unix machine, use the program 'bzip2' (in the terminal). You can save up to 80%, depending on the scene. There are likely similar compression tools on Windows.

If we assume lossless compression works as advertised, what's the benefit of uncompressed files? I would guess less pressure on the in-camera processor (and the Fuji's is feeble, it seems to me), but burns up cards and maybe would extend write times...

pipee
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?

Fuji refuses to use lossless compression like everyone else. Don't know why, and it wouldn't be so hard to include in firmware.

Come on Fuji!

nixda
Like?
In reply to pipee, Jun 26, 2013

pipee wrote:

Fuji refuses to use lossless compression like everyone else. Don't know why, and it wouldn't be so hard to include in firmware.

Unless the processor can't really handle it with all that JPEG processing going on... 

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,254
Like?
Raw + JPG?

Some comparisons will be affected by the size of the JPG stored in the file in Raw+JPG mode.

glacierpete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917
Like?

The raw files from a Sigma DP2M are about 65mb. It got a mulit layer foveon sensor instaed of a Bayer Matrix.

BTW The x-trans images I have seen, look really great. They pop with good color and clarity.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,737Gear list
Like?

Oh. In that case I don't know. Probably something to do with the Xtrans colour array I imagine.

Greg.

sibyy
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to nixda, Jun 27, 2013

That's a very neat idea, i.e. to loss-less compress Fuji's files to save space.

Anyone familiar with a workflow that would allow me to do that to my files that have already been imported to Lightroom?

I.e. any software that will loss-less compress all files in a directory and would the re-written files just work in Lightroom?

nixda
Like?
In reply to sibyy, Jun 27, 2013

sibyy wrote:

That's a very neat idea, i.e. to loss-less compress Fuji's files to save space.

Anyone familiar with a workflow that would allow me to do that to my files that have already been imported to Lightroom?

I.e. any software that will loss-less compress all files in a directory and would the re-written files just work in Lightroom?

I don't think Lightroom reads compressed files. Probably the most common compression tool is gzip (creates files with extension '.gz'). It would be easy for any software to automatically recognize such files and uncompress them on the fly, but I don't think many programs have that ability. A lot of scientific software does.

What I would suggest is to compress the raw files for archival purposes, not for when you are actively working on them. I do that all the time, unless you have scripts set up that do the constant compressing/uncompressing for you. Compression tools can work on all files in a directory, but how exactly and what tools to use will depend on your operating system.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads