Firmware update and Apple Macs

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions
masterofdeception
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Firmware update and Apple Macs
Jun 25, 2013

My PC is a 5 year old Mac using Lion, "upgraded" from Snow Leopard, and the new Fuji firmware won't work, as Power PC is no longer supported (something to do with Rosetta). Guess this is an Apple problem, and I'll upgrade from a friend's computer, but anyone else having this issue?

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,100Gear list
Like?
Re: Firmware update and Apple Macs
In reply to masterofdeception, Jun 25, 2013

masterofdeception wrote:

My PC is a 5 year old Mac using Lion, "upgraded" from Snow Leopard, and the new Fuji firmware won't work, as Power PC is no longer supported (something to do with Rosetta). Guess this is an Apple problem, and I'll upgrade from a friend's computer, but anyone else having this issue?

the issue you are most likely seeing is easily fixed

The Mac will automatically rename the file you download from Fuji, if one of the same name already exists in the downloads folder

This rename happens without the Mac telling you anything - it usually just adds -1 or -2 etc to teh name

The Fuji camera will fail to recognize this file as a valid file and the upgrade will fail.

ANSWER:

clean out all the old fuji firmware files from your downloads folder first

Download the new firmware

Copy to SD card

Upgrade

That should sort you out

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

If you have an older version of the update it might gotten renamed "-1"

This happens all the time when I download an upgrade to my mac. All version of the firmware have the same name so every download renames the file and it will not work.

so take the downloaded file and copy it to a freshly formatted SD card. Then look at the file name. It should be ...0001.dat, if it is something like ...0001-1.dat then rename it. Then place in camera, turn On while holding down the Disp button and you should be good. If the camera reads the file that is different in name it will not recognize it. All fuji firmware files for all version have the identical name.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
masterofdeception
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Jun 25, 2013

Thanks, but i think this is an Apple problem, as I can't even get the file onto my desktop.  It just won't download.  I've contacted Fuji, but my guess it it's a problem related to the change from Snow Leopard to Lion, which lost support for Rosetta based apps.

I've had no problems with previous updates, but those were all done when I was using Snow Leopard.

Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?

masterofdeception wrote:

Thanks, but i think this is an Apple problem, as I can't even get the file onto my desktop. It just won't download. I've contacted Fuji, but my guess it it's a problem related to the change from Snow Leopard to Lion, which lost support for Rosetta based apps.

I've had no problems with previous updates, but those were all done when I was using Snow Leopard.

In Safari, have you tried right-click (or control-click) to get the pop-up dialog window? There should be a "Save linked file as" or some such. Choose it and you should be able to save it to where ever you want. Make sure your SD card is formatted in your Fuji camera, then just copy the file over to the Fuji formatted SD card.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,151
Like?

masterofdeception wrote:

I've contacted Fuji, but my guess it it's a problem related to the change from Snow Leopard to Lion, which lost support for Rosetta based apps.

Why would it have anything to do with Rosetta? You're not running the firmware update on your Mac.

No issues here downloading f/w to a 2008 MacBook running Mountain Lion.

David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
Doesn't make any sense

You are just downloading a file and copying it to a blank, formatted (in camera) SD card. The OS doesn't matter.

masterofdeception
Like?
In reply to Antone, Jun 25, 2013

Safari is no help because I'm told there is no application to open the file.  From a few Google searches, I'm sure it's an Apple related issue, though if your Mac is a newer one than mine it shouldn't occur.  If anyone has a quick fix though (other than paying Apple for more hardware) then I'd be very happy to hear from you.

masterofdeception
Like?
Re: Doesn't make any sense
In reply to David McGaughey, Jun 25, 2013

Sorry, I have downloaded the update, but I can't open it (or copy it) because "Power PC applications are no longer supported".

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,771
Like?

masterofdeception wrote:

Thanks, but i think this is an Apple problem, as I can't even get the file onto my desktop. It just won't download. I've contacted Fuji, but my guess it it's a problem related to the change from Snow Leopard to Lion, which lost support for Rosetta based apps.

It's a file you download from Fuji's website. The OS on your Mac or PC means nothing. Really has nothing to do with it. The file doesn't need to be on your Desktop either. It can download anywhere. It needs to be on the root of the SD card. That's all...

-- hide signature --

Mikael

fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

I just did the update on my mac with Mountain Lion

Chris Dodkin
Like?

you don't have to open the file - just download it

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Chris Dodkin
Like?
Re: Doesn't make any sense

You simply drag the file onto the icon for your docked SD card to copy it

No need to try and open it

-- hide signature --

Chris@1D-Images.com

AB8ND
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Jun 25, 2013

You don't open the file, read the Fiji instructions. Download it, copy it to a camera formatted card ( in a card reader), put the card back in the camera then follow the rest of the instructions. I say again no need to open the file.

AB8ND's gear list:AB8ND's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 30D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
No file needed to open

masterofdeception wrote:

Safari is no help because I'm told there is no application to open the file.

This is a dialog box from Safari? Can you state exactly what it says?

From a few Google searches, I'm sure it's an Apple related issue, though if your Mac is a newer one than mine it shouldn't occur. If anyone has a quick fix though (other than paying Apple for more hardware) then I'd be very happy to hear from you.

If your camera is an X-E1, simply paste this URL into Safari's URL box:

http://download.fujifilm.co.jp/pub/tools/xe1q5sbcfvj/FWUP0001.DAT

You should get a file download named FWUP0001.DAT in your download folder ~home/Downloads. Simply drag and drop this file onto your SD card that was formatted in your camera.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: No file needed to open
In reply to Antone, Jun 25, 2013

Antone wrote:

masterofdeception wrote:

Safari is no help because I'm told there is no application to open the file.

This is a dialog box from Safari? Can you state exactly what it says?

From a few Google searches, I'm sure it's an Apple related issue, though if your Mac is a newer one than mine it shouldn't occur. If anyone has a quick fix though (other than paying Apple for more hardware) then I'd be very happy to hear from you.

If your camera is an X-E1, simply paste this URL into Safari's URL box:

http://download.fujifilm.co.jp/pub/tools/xe1q5sbcfvj/FWUP0001.DAT

You should get a file download named FWUP0001.DAT in your download folder ~home/Downloads. Simply drag and drop this file onto your SD card that was formatted in your camera.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Not necessarily true. If you have a previous firmware update that you downloaded at some prior date in that download folder then the file will be automatically renamed to FWUP0001-1.DAT. So when you drag it over to the formated SD card, you need to rename (remove the '-1). Then, and only then, will the camera recognize it. I go through this all the time with my Mac. The first time drove me crazy until I realized my mac was renaming the new version. It is also a good idea to remove the file from the download folder. That will prevent renaming next time.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
briny
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to masterofdeception, Jun 26, 2013

Use Finder to locate the Fuji file FWUP0001.DAT in your Downloads folder. Insert your formatted camera card into your Mac's card slot. Then simply drag the Fuji file to your card to copy it there.

briny's gear list:briny's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
rh22
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Jun 26, 2013

fluxism wrote:

I just did the update on my mac with Mountain Lion

Same with me.  No issues on Mountain Lion.

rh22's gear list:rh22's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPhone 6 +1 more
masterofdeception
Like?
In reply to masterofdeception, Jun 26, 2013

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the error of my ways, I've now managed to achieve what was quite a simple task.  I think I did it slightly differently to previous upgrades, but got distracted by the error messages I started to get when I tried to put the file on my desktop (as per the instructions).  Lesson learned = don't try firmware upgrades when it's past your bedtime!

Thanks again everyone.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads