D7100 best settings?

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions
Zoso777
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
D7100 best settings?
Jun 25, 2013

Hi there again, friends! Hope you're all fine.

I would like to know which settings you're using to get the best of this baby! I

Thank you so much in advance.

Sergio

-- hide signature --

Are you nervous? Go photographing!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hegner/

Zoso777's gear list:Zoso777's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: D7100 best settings?
In reply to Zoso777, Jun 25, 2013

Start here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to Zoso777, Jun 25, 2013

Zoso777 wrote:

I would like to know which settings you're using to get the best of this baby! I

Sergio

-- hide signature --

Depends entirely on what you are photographing, and how you want the mage to turn out

Zoso777
Like?
In reply to golf1982, Jun 25, 2013

golf1982 wrote:

Zoso777 wrote:

Sergio

-- hide signature --

Depends entirely on what you are photographing, and how you want the mage to turn out

I mean what  normal settings just like if you adjusted sharpness, how many focus point, auto iso, and so and so...

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Zoso777
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Jun 25, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

Start here.

Exactly what I'm talking about but isn't there any difference for the 7100?

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

NikonMan09
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zoso777, Jun 26, 2013

Sergio,

I own a Nikon D90, D7000, and D7100.  For the D7100 I am using the same picture control settings I am used for the D7000.

Standard:  +6 Sharpness, +1 Saturation

Landscape:  +5 Sharpness

These settings were right on for the D7000, and, so far, they seem appropriate for the D7100 as well.

One reason you may not be getting responses to your question is that many feel you should shoot only RAW at default camera settings and fix the image to your liking entirely in PP.  I don't feel that is reasonable advice for most people with limited time.  Furthermore, if you shoot RAW with adjusted picture control settings, you can set them back to default with ViewNX2 and Capture NX2.  But I think it is good to adjust the picture controls over the camera defaults to get sharper JPEGS out of camera.

The article by Ray Soares another poster referred you to is the Bible on optimizing D7000 camera settings.  Ray eventually bought a D4 and we don't hear from him much anymore.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Fred

-- hide signature --

Formerly known as MinoltaMan78. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Zoso777
Like?
In reply to NikonMan09, Jun 26, 2013

Sergio,

I own a Nikon D90, D7000, and D7100.  For the D7100 I am using the same picture control settings I am used for the D7000.

Standard:  +6 Sharpness, +1 Saturation

Landscape:  +5 Sharpness

These settings were right on for the D7000, and, so far, they seem appropriate for the D7100 as well.

One reason you may not be getting responses to your question is that many feel you should shoot only RAW at default camera settings and fix the image to your liking entirely in PP.  I don't feel that is reasonable advice for most people with limited time.  Furthermore, if you shoot RAW with adjusted picture control settings, you can set them back to default with ViewNX2 and Capture NX2.  But I think it is good to adjust the picture controls over the camera defaults to get sharper JPEGS out of camera.

The article by Ray Soares another poster referred you to is the Bible on optimizing D7000 camera settings.  Ray eventually bought a D4 and we don't hear from him much anymore.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Fred

-- hide signature --

Many thanks!
Yes, I shoot in raw and I must confess that I still wonder why these cameras have so many features if most of the time you can replicate them in the PP ( I use LR). Anyway, the most "confusing" feature to me is the U1& U2 since I've got no idea in what situations I will setup and use them...I know there are some tips here but I'm still stuck with that. Shame on me!

All the best!
--

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?

NikonMan09 wrote:

The article by Ray Soares another poster referred you to is the Bible on optimizing D7000 camera settings. Ray eventually bought a D4 and we don't hear from him much anymore.

So what you're saying is the best settings for a D7100 is to switch to a D4?

So I guess you'd need to add an SB-910 as well otherwise you lose flash

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

NikonMan09 wrote:

Sergio,

I own a Nikon D90, D7000, and D7100. For the D7100 I am using the same picture control settings I am used for the D7000.

Standard: +6 Sharpness, +1 Saturation

Landscape: +5 Sharpness

One reason you may not be getting responses to your question is that many feel you should shoot only RAW at default camera settings and fix the image to your liking entirely in PP. I don't feel that is reasonable advice for most people with limited time. Furthermore, if you shoot RAW with adjusted picture control settings, you can set them back to default with ViewNX2 and Capture NX2. But I think it is good to adjust the picture controls over the camera defaults to get sharper JPEGS out of camera.

The article by Ray Soares another poster referred you to is the Bible on optimizing D7000 camera settings. Ray eventually bought a D4 and we don't hear from him much anymore.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Fred

-- hide signature --

It is NOT "the bible".  It is what works for Ray, and some other people.  Don't be a sheep.

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
No such thing
In reply to Zoso777, Jun 26, 2013

There is no such thing as "best settings".  Learn photography, in general, and then learn the tools you choose to use.  Not complicated at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads