Fujifilm X-E1 Firmware Version 1.06

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions
briny
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm X-E1 Firmware Version 1.06
In reply to e268, Jun 26, 2013

e268 wrote:

I focus on the subject, press the AF/AE lock button, and reframe and shoot. It seems it achieves the same purpose of changing the focus point. Am I mistaken?

Lately I've been doing a lot of macro shooting where you can't breathe without going out of focus. The focus/reframe method doesn't work well for that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
In reply to trond_was_trondeh, Jun 26, 2013

Thanks Trond.  I do not have the 35/1.4, and previously, I have only used f/2.8 lens, hence my method would work.  Now that I can set the focus point easily, Iwill definitely use it.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?

e268 wrote:

I focus on the subject, press the AF/AE lock button, and reframe and shoot. It seems it achieves the same purpose of changing the focus point. Am I mistaken?

It works for casual shooting, but not always. Not with shallow DOF (f/1.2-1.4) lenses.

Also, I am using tripod a lot. Imaging, perfectly frame your picture, then move camera to focus somewhere else other than center, then move the camera back to your original frame (?) while keeping your finger on the shutter button half-pressed... Just doesn't work for me

-- hide signature --
Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014
Like?

e268 wrote:

It is not exact. When you lock your focus, you lock a distance focus. When you reframe, the objects  in focus are in the focus plan. The objects in focus are in a plan, not in a cercle. Even if your subject is at the same distance after reframing, it is not in the focus plan, but generally not very far.

To be more precise, the subject is generally a bit  back  focused .

e268
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, Jun 26, 2013

vkphoto wrote:

e268 wrote:

It works for casual shooting, but not always. Not with shallow DOF (f/1.2-1.4) lenses.

Also, I am using tripod a lot. Imaging, perfectly frame your picture, then move camera to focus somewhere else other than center, then move the camera back to your original frame (?) while keeping your finger on the shutter button half-pressed... Just doesn't work for me

-- hide signature --

I appreciate the fact that AE/Af lock may not work for shallow dof, and I have not tried since I do not own such a lens..  In the case of using a tripod, one can set the AE/AF lock to the push-on and push- off mode.  In situations where one needs to focus on the eyes of the subject,  I find it difficult  to set the AF point to where the subjects eyes are in relation to the entire frame. I find it much easier using the AF/AE lock.

John Blumenfeld
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Re: Quick question
In reply to DJF77, Jun 27, 2013

DJF77 wrote:

Yeah its definitely 1.06 - I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

If you always download files to the same directory and you've downloaded FW files to that directory before, Windows will rename the firmware file "FWUP0001(x).DAT" where "x" is the next number in sequence to any existing file already downloaded.  The camera will only recognize the file name "FWUP0001.DAT," so you need to rename the file by deleting the "(x)" that windows added.  The camera will then recognize the FW update file.

-- hide signature --

John

John Blumenfeld
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
In reply to Christof21, Jun 27, 2013

Christof21 wrote:

Resoman wrote:

Could someone who has successfully upgraded to 1.06 tell me the actual filename of the upgrade? The file I've downloaded from the Fuji site is FWUP0001.DAT which is actually the 1.05 upgrade file. Where's the 1.06 hiding?

Gary

I have the same problem

I had the same problem. The issue is that your browser is showing you a cached image of the Ver 1.05 download page. If you just hit the refresh button on your browser, it will do a hard refresh and show you the 1.06 page. The file you download from there will work, but make sure your computer hasn't changed the name due to multiple downloads of the same file name in the same location. It must read exactly "FWUP0001.DAT" or the camera won't recognize it.

-- hide signature --

John

bjmike
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
In reply to vicoy, Jun 27, 2013
 bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
skyfotos
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to e268, Jun 28, 2013

e268 wrote:

No, you are not! Find something more useful for this second fn button. I use it to swap between  AF area and AF multi.

HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
focus/recompose vs focus point selection
In reply to e268, Jun 28, 2013

e268 wrote:

I used to think as you did. In most cases focus/recompose is all you need but there are certain circumstances where you need selectable focus points. When you have your subject close to the camera and you are using a wide aperture to give very shallow depth of field then focus/recompose will change the focusing distance enough that you're subject will then be out of focus (see my work of art below). I don't know if this is so much of a problem with the wide angle lenses but it will definitely be a problem for the upcoming 56mm f/1.2

The distance of the red line (where you are focusing) is slightly longer than the black line (the actual distance from subject).

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
e268
Like?
Re: focus/recompose vs focus point selection
In reply to HB1969, Jun 28, 2013

Thanks for all the responses. I am convinced.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads