DNG pros and cons

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions
10sj03
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
DNG pros and cons
Jun 25, 2013

I have been using lightroom 3 to process Canon CR2 files. I import CR2 + JPEG. However, Lightroom 3 does not support Sony RX100 .ARW format. I convert the ARW files to DNG and import. It is an extra step but now I wonder if it is a good practice to convert camera vendors' proprietary format to DNG. DNG claims to be an open standard. What is the pros and cons of DNG vs. camera vendors' Raw formats if I only use lightroom and not the Raw professing software comes with the camera?

Joe

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
birdpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
Re: DNG pros and cons
In reply to 10sj03, Jun 25, 2013

I'm a whole lot less sold on DNG now than I was prior to the new Adobe CC monthly plan...

We use it for everything and it's really nice for keeping all LR changes tucked inside the file itself versus the (IMHO) easily lost sidecar files, but my trust in Adobe is not that great at the moment. Makes me think that once you have years and thousands of images all archived in DNG, you're really gonna have to upgrade to CC and pay someday. Feels a bit like ransom.

-- hide signature --

Eric in Florida

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,069Gear list
Like?

+1 to what birdpix said but it isn't just DNG.  If you save a layered TIFF or PSD from Photoshop you can't open the file with all the layers intact with non-Adobe editor programs.

Adobe has said that they don't have any plans now to make Lightroom and Photoshop Elements cloud based only but a few years ago they could have said the same thing about Photoshop CS.

What to do is the dilemma we are all facing.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,686Gear list
Like?

10sj03 wrote:

I wonder if it is a good practice to convert camera vendors' proprietary format to DNG.

good practice is to archive original raw files as they were created by your camera's firmware and consider DNG just as a workflow option... better be safe than sorry.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
10sj03
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jun 25, 2013

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there is no 'open standards' and compatibility guarantee for DNG files. I guess I will stick with the .CR2 for Canon and convert RX100 .ARW to DNG for now, until I upgrade Lightroom. With the free DNG converter, I can always convert .CR2 to .DNG if I need to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads