Minolta 28mm f/2.8 AF

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions
CaptureAll
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Minolta 28mm f/2.8 AF
Jun 24, 2013

Hi all,

Right now I have the 18-55 SAM II kit which is not bad but, I really like the 42mm equivalent for every day shooting and 127mm equivalent for my kids activities where I can't always be so close.

I would like an opinion of anyone who has or had the Minolta 28mm f/2.8 AF. Image quality, speed, whatever info you have. There is one that is available near me and I'll be checking it out tomorrow. The other option is the Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT which seems to be getting very good reviews as well. A small amount longer but the f/1.8 might come in handy sometimes. It's about $90 more locally than the Minolta mentioned above.

Thanks again

CaptureAll's gear list:CaptureAll's gear list
Pentax K-r
geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta 28mm f/2.8 AF
In reply to CaptureAll, Jun 24, 2013

I have the 35 f1.8 and IMO for the money it's excellent. Have you been over to dyxum.com? Best for consumer Minolta lens reviews.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CaptureAll
Like?
In reply to geoffmalter, Jun 24, 2013

geoffmalter wrote:

I have the 35 f1.8 and IMO for the money it's excellent. Have you been over to dyxum.com? Best for consumer Minolta lens reviews.

Thank you for that link Geoff, seems the Minolta 28mm f/2.8 gets a decent rating; 4.3 overall from 126 reviews. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and decide.

In the near future I want a 85-100mm as well. The 85mm SAM f/2.8 looks good for $320 locally, unless another used-gem pops up in one of the shops here.

Pentax K-r
beardedspoooon
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

I have the Sony version. It's kind of a weird focal length, but I thought it good enough for walking around. I could zoom with my feet when necessary/

If I could go back, I would have purchased the 35mm 1.8. I've since purchased a Tamron 17-50 2.8, so the 28mm will be hitting the auction block soon enough.

Here's an image with the 28mm and a 100% crop FWIW.

This one might be more helpful:

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,903Gear list
Like?

Have you looked at the Sigma 30mm f1.4. The old version is under $200 which is cheaper than the new model and the optics are the same, happy with mine and also my Minolta 28

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +30 more
PhotoLouP
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?

It is a very nice lens but itbdepends on your need.  It is sharp and autofocus is fast, but for a prime is  a bit slow.  Sony steadyshot helps, but for indoors I'd favor a faster lens.  It is a great walkaround lens.  I use it or a 50mm for night/star shots, as primes are far better than zooms.  It is a bargain compared to the faster minolta or sony primes with excellent quality with the only limitation of the f2.8.  I like this kind of lens for hiking and activities that are bright outdoors and where it might get damaged or stolen. Good luck with your choice!

NAwlins Contrarian
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to CaptureAll, Jun 25, 2013

I had a Minolta AF 28mm f/2.8 years ago, purchased for film. Overall, I thought its performance was good but not stellar. On an "APS-C"-sensor Sony, it is exactly a "normal" lens, that is, one whose focal length equals the diagonal dimension of the sensor (or film). If I were in your position, I'd either stick with the 35mm f/1.8, or get something significantly wider, like the Minolta 24mm f/2.8 (which by all accounts is also better optically). I you just have to have something wider than 35mm, but you don't want something wide as 24mm, I'd go for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which is discontinued in the Sony mount but should still be available.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon Coolpix S30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +6 more
CaptureAll
Like?
In reply to CaptureAll, Jun 25, 2013

Thanks all for the input on this lens, I really appreciate it. I have decided to go with the 35mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/2.8.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait on the purchase(s) as money is going towards something else right now. Maybe in a month or 2, unless my upcoming review at work yeild a decent increase The kit lens (18-55mm SAL II) will have to do, actually it's probably the best kit lens I've had!

Pentax K-r
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads