converting TIF to JPG saving EXIF

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,594Gear list
Like?
converting TIF to JPG saving EXIF
Jun 24, 2013

I have a bunch of images which have been processed from RAW to TIF, and which contain accurate EXIF information.

I want to convert the TIFs to JPGs for posting, however neither Irfanview nor Faststone preserves the ISO/aperture/shutter speed, despite my checking the appropriate fields in the batch converter.

Is there any program which can perform the batch conversion and keep the EXIF information visible?

Thanks

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: converting TIF to JPG saving EXIF
In reply to sherman_levine, Jun 25, 2013

Are you sure? That sounds very surprising.  I use exiftoolGUI which lives on top of exiftool when I need to know what the metadata really looks like.

I munge my files that come out of my camera to store information from the camera data in metadata fields that Lightroom can read before loading into LR.  So you could move the information you want before processing.  Still surprising though.  What I'm moving is rather obscure camera settings on my Sony camera, not something basic like you are talking about.

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,915
Like?
ACDSee Pro 6

Probably the Raw Aware ACDSee 16 as well (Opens and displays raw but can't develop raw). Right now, they are VERY close in price. ACDSee16 was just released, and Pro 7 which we expect to share a lot of code with ACDSee 16 to be released "soon", so If you have a specific need that pro 6 can fill, or if you hate 30 day free trials, it's at a good price.

As an FYI, even though I knew it could do it, I retested Pro 6 before answering this query. It converted both my ORF files and my 16 bit tiffs to jpg with no loss of EXIF data no problem. So I feel confident I'm not wrong.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Jun 25, 2013

I didn't realize it was an issue until I looked for the EXIF info, but it's apparently a well-known problem with several programs which perform TIF-JPG conversion.    I ended up using ViewNX2, which handled the EXIF info fine, although it locked while processing about 10% of the TIFs

Sherm

sherman_levine
Like?
Re: ACDSee Pro 6
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 25, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

Probably the Raw Aware ACDSee 16 as well (Opens and displays raw but can't develop raw). Right now, they are VERY close in price. ACDSee16 was just released, and Pro 7 which we expect to share a lot of code with ACDSee 16 to be released "soon", so If you have a specific need that pro 6 can fill, or if you hate 30 day free trials, it's at a good price.

As an FYI, even though I knew it could do it, I retested Pro 6 before answering this query. It converted both my ORF files and my 16 bit tiffs to jpg with no loss of EXIF data no problem. So I feel confident I'm not wrong.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Thanks for your help. I was able to convert with EXIF preserved using ViewNX2. but I'll keep ACDSee Pro in mind

Sherm

cliik
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

I just converted a batch of TIFFs using FastStone v4.8 and all EXIF data remained intact.

cliik's gear list:cliik's gear list
Pentax K-7 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +4 more
sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to cliik, Jun 26, 2013

cliik wrote:

I just converted a batch of TIFFs using FastStone v4.8 and all EXIF data remained intact.

The FastStone results are strange. I can see the EXIF (including the ISO) if I look at the JPG in e.g. Irfanview, but the ISO doesn't appear in either Windows Explorer or in Picasa.

If I convert using ViewNX2, the ISO does appear in both Explorer and Picasa.

so the two programs for some reason yield different results.

Sherm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads