Questions about the new Adobe subscription plan Locked

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Questions
This thread is locked.
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,406Gear list
Questions about the new Adobe subscription plan
Jun 24, 2013

I see that the new plan is live, and that they've already added some features only available to the subscription version of PhotoShop. I just took a look at the pricing for the new options: as an owner of Photoshop CS6 I can get Photoshop CS6 "upgrade" subscription for $10 a month or the complete CS package for $20 a month. But I have two questions:

1. If I get either and after a year decide not to continue, will my existing stand-alone copy of Photoshop CS6 still work?

2. If I get the complete package for $20 a month and after the year want to downgrade to just a Photoshop pack?

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
all_digital
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Re: Questions about the new Adobe subscription plan
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jun 24, 2013

Rather than every one's i thinh, why don't you call Adobe toll free and ask?

-- hide signature --

Art

Jeff Peterman
In reply to all_digital, Jun 24, 2013

My experience with Adobe in the past is that they are very slow to respond. I haven't tried calling them for a while, but was on hold for a while last time.

Posting the question here is quick and easy (and I've also posted it on another site). I'll wait and see what comes back.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
giraffe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,269

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I see that the new plan is live, and that they've already added some features only available to the subscription version of PhotoShop. I just took a look at the pricing for the new options: as an owner of Photoshop CS6 I can get Photoshop CS6 "upgrade" subscription for $10 a month or the complete CS package for $20 a month. But I have two questions:

1. If I get either and after a year decide not to continue, will my existing stand-alone copy of Photoshop CS6 still work?

My understanding is yes your standalone CS6 will continue to work but anything you created with CC may not be backward compatible to CS6 (it depends on what features you used in CC whether it may/may not be backward compatible).

2. If I get the complete package for $20 a month and after the year want to downgrade to just a Photoshop pack?

Sorry don't know the answer to this.

knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,290

Jeff Peterman wrote:

My experience with Adobe in the past is that they are very slow to respond. I haven't tried calling them for a while, but was on hold for a while last time.

Go on the Adobe upgrade page and within a few seconds you'll be offered the chance to chat.  They will be able to answer all of the typical upgrade questions like the ones you're asking now.

Posting the question here is quick and easy (and I've also posted it on another site). I'll wait and see what comes back.

CC doesn't boink your CS6 implementation.  I have both loaded on my iMac.  They seem to co-exist just fine so far.

Jeff Peterman
In reply to knickerhawk, Jun 24, 2013

They co-exist so they both take up storage room for the program? I may need to replace my 128 SSD with a 256 SSD one, as it's already a little low on space. (I use an SSD for my boot drive and programs, with everything else on regular SATA hard drives.)

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,925Gear list

Jeff Peterman wrote:

They co-exist so they both take up storage room for the program? I may need to replace my 128 SSD with a 256 SSD one, as it's already a little low on space. (I use an SSD for my boot drive and programs, with everything else on regular SATA hard drives.)

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

That's why I decided to not go with an SSD boot drive in my editing desktop.

I went with the $19.99 per month plan and now have a bundle of Adobe applications installed. Found After Effects excellent for making many types of adjustments on video files. Never would have bought it otherwise. Also, the new Adobe Acrobat XI Pro is so much better than other pdf programs I have I use it constantly.

Realize that the price per month is bound to increase after the first year. That is why having some of the programs previous to CC is an insurance policy. Of course new features may not be accepted in the old programs with CC created files.

-- hide signature --

Just a very serious amateur for over 55 years.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
sanmaj
Regular MemberPosts: 395
In reply to giraffe, Jun 24, 2013

If you decide to go with the subscription I would think that you should first decide what you really need (assuming you are a photographer). Since I already have PS CS6 some of your questions were mine also this morning when I decided to "trial" PS CS6 CC. Adobe has a neat facility on their site for answering questions via an online mobile "chat". I found that useful.

I had questions about what happens to my existing PS CS6 if I download the "trial" and was told nothing happens to it. They were correct. The 2 programs exist side-by-side. I had questions also about migrating 3rd party plugins and they were a little less sure how that would work (since they aren't automatically loaded into the filter menu in Creative Cloud CS6 and some may require CC updates before using). It was suggested that I could probably re-load them and see whether they come up in Creative Cloud but I decided against that for now. I was more interested in the operation and features of CC CS6 right now.

I haven't decided yet whether I want to subscribe but I thought I might give it whirl. Just a couple of observations after downloading the trial so far:

1) It is definitely quicker and more robust than my "perpetual" PS CS6

2) It works quickly and seamlessly with Lightroom 5

3) The "new" Smart Sharpen is phenominal (unbelievable really)

4) The ability to use Camera Raw from filter list is a definite plus

5) Other things have been tweaked (but no talked about) e.g. sliders in the Liquify filter. Much more usuable and accurate now, spot healing brush seams to do a slightly better job (especially near edges. I'm sure there are other things hidden under the hood. I just haven't found them yet.

All in all I find CC CS6 to be quite good so far. I'll see what happens over the next 30 days or so before I make my decision.

If you would have asked me weeks ago whether I would consider the subscription I would have told you "No Way Jose"! But, I've calmed down some since then and I'm willing to at least give it try. I'm not recommending this approach, I'm just sharing my path so far and some observations.

Good luck to all!

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,925Gear list
In reply to sanmaj, Jun 24, 2013

sanmaj wrote:

I had questions also about migrating 3rd party plugins and they were a little less sure how that would work (since they aren't automatically loaded into the filter menu in Creative Cloud CS6 and some may require CC updates before using). It was suggested that I could probably re-load them and see whether they come up in Creative Cloud but I decided against that for now. I was more interested in the operation and features of CC CS6 right now.

I have a full load of plugins in my PS CS6 and I was concerned also. I found it not problem at all. You can either reinstall including PS CC or move from the CS6 plugins folder to the CC plugins folder. I did both and everything worked as in CS6.

One caution. PS CC does not allow folders in the plugins folder to organize the plugins. CC does the organizing itself. I know there are cautions about copying and pasting but it seems as long as you do not copy and paste folders, only the plugin files, everything is OK.

-- hide signature --

Just a very serious amateur for over 55 years.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
knickerhawk
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jun 25, 2013

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Yes, both take up HD storage.  If you're committing to CC, though, there's really no reason to keep CS6 loaded.  If/when you give up on CC, you can reinstall CS6.

-- hide signature --
knickerhawk
In reply to sanmaj, Jun 25, 2013

I haven't really tried to do a side-by-side comparison of the old and new smart sharpen.  What are the advantages you're seeing so far?  Any tips would be appreciated.

Have you tried the shake reduction filter?  I've played with it some and have found it to be an interesting addition to the sharpening arsenal.  Sometimes its a nice improvement.  Sometimes it's a disaster.

-- hide signature --
Jeff Peterman
In reply to digital ed, Jun 25, 2013

Adding an SSD to my system made a huge improvement in performance. My boot time went from several minutes to about one minute, and programs load MUCH faster. I wouldn't want to go back to using a regular hard drive. If I buy a 256 GB SSD, I'll leave the 128 GB one in place and set it for cache/temporary file storage (currently set to a regular hard drive to maximize SSD life) and speed things up even more. Note that all my photos are on a dedicated 1 TB regular drive, my videos on another dedicated drive, and all my other data files on a third 1 TB drive. This maximizes speed, simplifies backups and means less risk from a single drive failure. Then again, my system connects to a DROBO 5N RAID system, with all changes backed up there nightly.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

sanmaj
Regular MemberPosts: 395
In reply to knickerhawk, Jun 25, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion of just moving the 3rd party plugins from the CS6 plugin folder to the CC PS CS6 plugin folder. I'll give that a try (and I'll remember not to move a FOLDER). I too have a boatload of 3rd party plugins, some of which I really don't need. Over time you kind of forget just how good the combination of Lightroom and Photoshop really is. As each has improved and/or added features many of those plugins just seem so reduntant (my experience). With improvements to (in Lightroom and PS CS6) in noise reduction, healing functions, camera raw (in filter menu), sharpening, radial filters and so many other items, the need for very exquisite adjustments in plugins seems, at least to me, so unnecessary. An example of what I'm talking about is a workflow (today) that starts in Lightroom, goes into Photoshop CS6 CC, back to Lightroom and I'm done (for most of my everyday images). What an ezquisite way to work and it now seems so seamless and quick.

In answer to the question about "Shake Reduction" I can only say it appears to do a relatively good job and provides light sharpening also. Since I really didn't have any seriously out-of-focus images I couldn't really test it that much.

Well, let's just keep on sharing info about your experiences. I'm sure others are somewhat interested in what the community is finding out and has to say. LET THE TESTING COMMENCE AN CONTINUE!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads