Polls: what do you think? Locked

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Polls
This thread is locked.
Simon Joinson
dpreview AdminPosts: 4,398Gear list
Polls: what do you think?
Jun 24, 2013

We've just added a new poll feature to the forums. We hope you like it, but, realistically, let's be honest, there's bound to be something terrible we didn't think of. So: what do you think?

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Apple iPhone 5 +9 more
POLL
Great! Thanks!
66.8% 261  votes
Oh no, not more new 'features' - why can't you leave it be?
12.5% 49  votes
Where is the D4 review?
20.7% 81  votes
  Show results
futile32
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Re: Polls: what do you think?
In reply to Simon Joinson, Jun 24, 2013

Awesome work guys, this is a feature I have hoped for, for a very long time. Hopefully it will reduce many of the long threads we've had in the past, and give a clearer indicator as to peoples opinions on a given matter.

Thanks.

Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,886Gear list

"Where is the D4 review" ...

As any other feature, this will be both used and misused, but it seem like a genuinely good idea since many threads are variations of "What do you think of ..." where the OP often prefer a limited range of answers (like: "yes / no / that's not a cheeseburger") to get some sense of a general opinion.

-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
MP Cevat
New MemberPosts: 5

Problem with all these forums, polls and voting opportunities is that more and more opinions, and less facts, are thrown at us, with the larger part coming straight from the underbelly, not brains. Not worth reading, in contrast to the reviews, previews and generally accurate facts presented on DP-review. So please keep up the good work and stay away from the vox populi.

km25
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list

Hey, why no D4 review? I am not a Leica fan boy, why so few reviews of Leica, both camera and lens?

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,852Gear list

Don't allow comments in polls. Polls shoud be just a poll, not a discussion.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list

Cool now we can actually collect statistical evidence to ignore in the ongoing debatte!!!

Thanks DPR.

I'm sure this is  a feature that will get more than a little use.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Benarm
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list

This is great, will reduce some *NT* posts! A nice future addition can be an option for public or anonymous polls where the poll shows which users voted for which option (public) or hide it (anonymous).

Benarm's gear list:Benarm's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 5
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,415Gear list
whew ...

This should help us get that RAW versus JPEG issue under control finally :-\

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Nereo
Contributing MemberPosts: 801
In reply to pavi1, Jun 24, 2013

I agree.  which is why i'm supporting this comment on poll by commenting on it.

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,760Gear list
OH Dpreview...

Endless entertainment, you keep adding features to your MMO -RPG.

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,949Gear list
In reply to jtan163, Jun 24, 2013

jtan163 wrote:

Cool now we can actually collect statistical evidence to ignore in the ongoing debatte!!!

Thanks DPR.

I'm sure this is a feature that will get more than a little use.

Non-useful statistical evidence. The response sample is not representative of any particular population other than those who had some necessarily biased reason to respond. Which is pretty useless. Am I wrong?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,176Gear list

I think it is a total waste of time - yours and the readers. I won't be using it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Simon Joinson
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jun 24, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

I think it is a total waste of time - yours and the readers. I won't be using it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

That's what I'm talkin' about!

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Apple iPhone 5 +9 more
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list

Wouldn't it have been appropriate to create a poll to gage whether people welcome the polling feature or not? Or am I being oblivious and it'd just not visible on the mobile interface?

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,971
In reply to MP Cevat, Jun 24, 2013

Answer: None of the above.

Simon Joinson wrote:

... let's be honest, there's bound to be something terrible we didn't think of.

"Poll" threads need to allow for (uncensored) written responses. Since that is not possible in an editorially controlled environment, such "polls" themselves will be biased and not representative.

They will instead constitute an "entertainment venue" for those who happen to be allowed to speak, and for those who happen to be allowed to choose from a biased set of leading questions.

MP Cevat wrote:

Problem with all these forums, polls and voting opportunities is that more and more opinions, and less facts, are thrown at us, with the larger part coming straight from the underbelly, not brains. Not worth reading, ... stay away from the vox populi.

Vox populi is a Latin phrase meaning "voice of the people". That phrase is a misnomer in this case.

Leading Questions

... a leading question or suggestive interrogation is a question that suggests the particular answer or contains the information the examiner is looking to have confirmed. Their use is restricted in eliciting testimony in court, to reduce the ability of the examiner to direct or influence the evidence presented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_question

Sampling Bias

... a bias in which a sample is collected in such a way that some members of the intended population are less likely to be included than others. It results in a biased sample, a non-random sample of a population (or non-human factors) in which all individuals, or instances, were not equally likely to have been selected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

This amounts to the mere illusion of vox populi, by the vox populi delectis ("voice of the selected people"). "Selected" in the sense that censorship exists (designated editorial authority to delete content at will, typically executed not by paid DPR administrators, but by unpaid volunteers).

In such an environment, voice will only selectively given only to those pollsters whose queries happen to comport with what unpaid volunteers may deem to be "constructive interactions".

Even in a case where it might be DPR administration that imposes editorial control over such "polls", those queries which are deleted never see the light day. The problems should be clear ...

In an environment where questions themselves can be deleted, who can assure that answers themselves cannot be deleted ? Further, censorship of the questions themselves is tantamount to censorship of the answers to only those typically deemed acceptable to editorial controllers.

It is hard to imagine a more flawed and biased way to construct what is functionally merely an illusion of the "voice of the people". George Gallup would (and should) be turning over in his grave.

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,942Gear list
Beats paying for another reviewer, I guess ? (NT)

(NT)

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Simon Joinson
In reply to Detail Man, Jun 24, 2013

Answer: None of the above.

Simon Joinson wrote:

... let's be honest, there's bound to be something terrible we didn't think of.

"Poll" threads need to allow for (uncensored) written responses. Since that is not possible in an editorially controlled environment, such "polls" themselves will be biased and not representative.

They will instead constitute an "entertainment venue" for those who happen to be allowed to speak, and for those who happen to be allowed to choose from a biased set of leading questions.

MP Cevat wrote:

Problem with all these forums, polls and voting opportunities is that more and more opinions, and less facts, are thrown at us, with the larger part coming straight from the underbelly, not brains. Not worth reading, ... stay away from the vox populi.

Vox populi is a Latin phrase meaning "voice of the people". That phrase is a misnomer in this case.

Leading Questions

... a leading question or suggestive interrogation is a question that suggests the particular answer or contains the information the examiner is looking to have confirmed. Their use is restricted in eliciting testimony in court, to reduce the ability of the examiner to direct or influence the evidence presented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_question

Sampling Bias

... a bias in which a sample is collected in such a way that some members of the intended population are less likely to be included than others. It results in a biased sample, a non-random sample of a population (or non-human factors) in which all individuals, or instances, were not equally likely to have been selected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

This amounts to the mere illusion of vox populi, by the vox populi delectis ("voice of the selected people"). "Selected" in the sense that censorship exists (designated editorial authority to delete content at will, typically executed not by paid DPR administrators, but by unpaid volunteers).

In such an environment, voice will only selectively given only to those pollsters whose queries happen to comport with what unpaid volunteers may deem to be "constructive interactions".

Even in a case where it might be DPR administration that imposes editorial control over such "polls", those queries which are deleted never see the light day. The problems should be clear ...

In an environment where questions themselves can be deleted, who can assure that answers themselves cannot be deleted ? Further, censorship of the questions themselves is tantamount to censorship of the answers to only those typically deemed acceptable to editorial controllers.

It is hard to imagine a more flawed and biased way to construct what is functionally merely an illusion of the "voice of the people". George Gallup would (and should) be turning over in his grave.

They are a bit of fun. Try googling that.
--
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 611

It appears replies in poll threads are not marked as read after thehy are read.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Simon Joinson
Re: Beats paying for another reviewer, I guess ? (NT)
In reply to Ron Poelman, Jun 24, 2013

(NT)

Yes that was the choice I faced.
--
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads